Study on muscle hypertrophy and timed protein intake vs carbohydrate intake - AnabolicMinds.com

Study on muscle hypertrophy and timed protein intake vs carbohydrate intake

  1. CDB
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2674

    Reputation

    Study on muscle hypertrophy and timed protein intake vs carbohydrate intake



  2. Senior Member
    lifted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Thanks, even more info that shows high carb GI post-wo drinks aren't what they're made out to be. SO why is everybody still using them? I dunno, but the fat they put on from doing so will hopefully change their minds.
  3. CDB
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2674

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by lifted
    Thanks, even more info that shows high carb GI post-wo drinks aren't what they're made out to be. SO why is everybody still using them? I dunno, but the fat they put on from doing so will hopefully change their minds.
    Do you think there'd be a long term detriment to not replenishing carbs after a workout? Carbs weren't detrimental to the progress of the other group, they just didn't help that much if at all as far as muscle hypertrophy. What I get from this what I've always though, that if hypertrophy is your goal then pre and post workout protein is most important, and you can or cannot do carbs post workout. I'm sure the insulin rise you get from preworkout carbs is probably beneficial overall, and the added energy to use during the workout is good too.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    newschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    118

    Reputation

    interesting study. anyway it doesn't take into account nutrition, and that's a big mistake IMO. those subjects were "physically active on a recreational basis", so i don't think they dieted properly for hypertrophy. in that case, even 25g of protein supplementation probably had a big impact!
  5. Professional Member
    jminis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,023
    Rep Power
    2187

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by newschool
    interesting study. anyway it doesn't take into account nutrition, and that's a big mistake IMO. those subjects were "physically active on a recreational basis", so i don't think they dieted properly for hypertrophy. in that case, even 25g of protein supplementation probably had a big impact!
  6. CDB
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2674

    Reputation

    There are other studies, a few of them quoted on Haycock's HST site, that show the timing of protein intake is important and has a huge effect on the level of protein synthesis.
  7. New Member
    mumbles12's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    112

    Reputation

    good post, thanks
  8. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I cannot open the link. What is the pubmed citation?

    This spring I'll be working (volunteering) a day or two a week in the muscle physiology lab here at UK specifically investigating mechanisms of hypertrophy. I was talking with the lab director, and one of the things he said was that in these studies we are looking either at capacity or efficiency, but rarely ever both. Additionally, as strength athletes (and the lab director can move some weight) we know that recovery and hypertrophy takes place for much longer than just 4-8 hours post workout, so we need some work looking at what is happening 48-72 hours.

    Br
  9. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    I cannot open the link. What is the pubmed citation?

    This spring I'll be working (volunteering) a day or two a week in the muscle physiology lab here at UK specifically investigating mechanisms of hypertrophy. I was talking with the lab director, and one of the things he said was that in these studies we are looking either at capacity or efficiency, but rarely ever both. Additionally, as strength athletes (and the lab director can move some weight) we know that recovery and hypertrophy takes place for much longer than just 4-8 hours post workout, so we need some work looking at what is happening 48-72 hours.

    Br
    I would be extremely interested in your findings please keep me in the loop on this.

    Edit: OP I couldn't view the link either said something about the URL.
  10. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    101794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    your link works but the website cannot find the article. i wonder if its cause its a paid site. a google search using that domain you posted and the subject of this thread finds this link:

    http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.c...306-3/abstract


    is this what you are talking about OP? what i found was only an abstract though.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 02:28 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM
  3. Study on Preworkout Supplements and Training
    By LG Sciences in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 04:49 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM
  5. EMG Studies on muscle groups...
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in