intermittent fasting advice

julss90

Awards
been looking into this fasting thing for a while
now but haven't really had the balls to try it. I'm 23, approx 175cm and 70kg. typical ectomorph. of late I have made some very decent gains which I am pleased with but I have a lot
of bodyfat around my stomach which completely covers my abs and basically makes me look as if I have no lower chest. I really want to lose weight to get some definition before I start trying to lean bulk.
because of my skinny build, any bodyfat I have basically hides any gains I have made, and I would rather look skinny but defined and progress from there instead of lookin skinny fat. I was wondering if people could tell me about their experiences with fasting and suggest ways to structure it in terms of length and workouts including cardio and weights etc. thanks in advance guys.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have done them on occasion, (a day a week/20 hrs) more for health reasons ie: just letting my system have a break from processing food.
I never lost much weight doing them, as I for one, did not really want to do them for that reason and I seemed to eat a good bit after the fast, so I cannot tell you much in the line of weight loss/fasting.

I tried to always fast on "non training days", since I seem to need some carbs etc. to get thru some heavy W/O's and stay energized.
I have done just green tea fasts, but they on occasion made me feel a bit nauseated. I also stopped all supplements on fast day as well, except for maybe some probiotics. You really have to watch if you take any zinc on an empty stomach, as they can make one sick in stomach like a dog.
Plain water always seemed to work best for me (staying quite hydrated) and if I got over the first hunger spell (say mid morn) then I seemed to be able to go a bit better afterwards.
I have also done just yogurt in the AM to try and re-up the good bacteria in the gut, and there are some cleanses of certain foods too.
Many differing kinds of fasts too.
Sorry that is not much help, but it is all I have experience with.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
It took me about two years of considering it before finally deciding to go for it because i thought my strength would suffer working out fasted. Wish i would have done it much earlier, i love it. No strength loss, actually I have better energy during my workouts, also I have leaned out a bit without being extremely focused on diet (I pretty much always eat healthy anyway). The hunger early in the day goes away really fast; if you feel the need ease into it just start with a twelve hour fast fora while then increase the time you fast gradually. I do eighteen hour fasts no problem. Makes life so much simpler and allows you to be way more productive. Give it a shot you really have noting to lose.

LiftingTins

Awards
been looking into this fasting thing for a while
now but haven't really had the balls to try it. I'm 23, approx 175cm and 70kg. typical ectomorph. of late I have made some very decent gains which I am pleased with but I have a lot
of bodyfat around my stomach which completely covers my abs and basically makes me look as if I have no lower chest. I really want to lose weight to get some definition before I start trying to lean bulk.
because of my skinny build, any bodyfat I have basically hides any gains I have made, and I would rather look skinny but defined and progress from there instead of lookin skinny fat. I was wondering if people could tell me about their experiences with fasting and suggest ways to structure it in terms of length and workouts including cardio and weights etc. thanks in advance guys.
If you choose to fast to lose weight, be very careful and read tips from well-known sources (WebMD, doctors, etc.) If done incorrectly, it can be dangerous, so just do your research first.

In my opinion, as a lifter, I would rather point you in the direction of weighted abs + cardio > fasting to lose the layers of belly fat. Abs are just like any other muscle. High reps/low weight = endurance and definition. High weight/low reps = growth and size. Do the latter of the 2, and your abs will start working on those layers of belly fat from the inside, while you work on the outside layers with increased cardio and sweat... Give it 3 weeks of hard work, and you will see a difference; without the hazard of depleting your bodies resources...plus a stronger core. I hope everything works out, good luck!

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
Sometimes overweight can be caused by leaky gut syndrome giving all sorts of other symptoms, fatigue, brainfog, inflamation, increased estrogen and lower testosterone causing fat stores, and theirs
Alot of theorys on how to fix it , new diet, probiotics, not eating processed and refined foods,these are all great things,but i have found a simple solution to get some immediate lasting results.After a battle with an ulser for 8 months and several visits to the doctor heres what finally worked, 1 meal replacement each day for 14 days with freshly juiced green cabbage, carrots, and celery. With the green cabbage being the seceret ingredient. But you need the other 2 just to get it down. a lot of people would rather suffer the drink that, but I was suffering and it fixed me. I tried everything else first. google it