Dumbbell chest press with wrong angle

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

Recently, i notice i was doing dumbbell chest press with a slighty wrong angle. My arms did an angle with about 90º with torso, instead of the recommended 45º/60º.

I think i started to do this instinctively as i were increasing the weight.

My shoulders didn´t hurt and strangely enough i could lift more weight this way. It shoulnd´t be the opposite? I always though the chest is a stronger muscle than the deltoid.

Doing the exercise this way, demands more from the shoulder than the chest, right?

I´ve started to do it with the correct angle again and i had to decrease the weight for about 20%.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Toss up a vid if you can, you will get the best form critique then

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
I´ll try to make it on the next chest day.

Meanwhile, on this video u can get an idea.. When he talks about the "wrong way" at 0.50.

[video=youtube;VmB1G1K7v94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmB1G1K7v94[/video]

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi,

Recently, i notice i was doing dumbbell chest press with a slighty wrong angle. My arms did an angle with about 90º with torso, instead of the recommended 45º/60º.

I think i started to do this instinctively as i were increasing the weight.

My shoulders didn´t hurt and strangely enough i could lift more weight this way. It shoulnd´t be the opposite? I always though the chest is a stronger muscle than the deltoid.

Doing the exercise this way, demands more from the shoulder than the chest, right?

I´ve started to do it with the correct angle again and i had to decrease the weight for about 20%.
Do your shoulders hurt if you use a smaller angle?

Changing the angle is going to change the load from your triceps (and maybe your lats) to your chest. I doubt the load on your shoulder is decreased by much if at all. As long as you don't go so deep that your shoulders roll forward at the bottom of the DB bench you could be fine.

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Heres a small video i´ve made this afternoon.

This was done with lighter weight (about 50lb each hand) than i usually workout trying to catch multiple video angles.

Whats your opinion?

[video=youtube;aolzBBYluWo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolzBBYluWo[/video]

Mystere3

Awards
Your form looks fine, your cameraman did a good job on the Blair witch project back in the day.

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Lol he´s not familiar with this kind of equipment. He´s the owner of the gym.. He´s about 60yo :)

His son, keeps telling me i´m doing this with wrong posture.. But to be honest, i don´t care what he tells me.. He´s far far away of being a good personal trainer. I had to learn by myself, reading a lot and surfing on the internet. Otherwise, at this time, i had never done a single squat neither a deadlift.

Thats why i wanted your opinion guys.. i trust a lot more on you.

Mystere3

Awards
If it's good enough for ronnie and Dennis it's prolly good enough for you haha.