Sheepdogs guide to monster calves: Yes its not genetics!

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Gentlemen,

Greetings. After years of comments I thought I would list my recommendations on how to get freakishly huge calves.

To clarify I'm about 155 pounds, 5'7" but my calves are 19" circum on cut without creatine. Maybe not mr olympia but I can do 3.5-four times my bodyweight on the donkey stand for 2 minutes straight so I think at least I can get you started. ^_^

If you've been told its genetics thats bull, only the shape is, not the size. Heres what I recommend and whats worked for me.

Few rules:

1.) Calves are endurance workhorses, theyre not impressed with your 20 second sets of squats or how much you dip. If yoiu want thier respect you have to take them waaaay past failure. You need to take them from "whatever" to "ouch" to "ok he's serious" to "ok wtf" to "yes I'll give up my first born's social security number". Anything less youre wasting time and getting in the way

2.) If you're not doing full range of motion you're not going to grow right. Garbage in equals garage out.

3.) You need to spend about 10 good minutes on calves. Like lats first couple sets are just for warm up. Again garbage in equals garage out.

4.) Use calves in as many exercises as possible. Like on deadlift, put a 2x4 under the balls of your feet. Make your cardio/HIIT your calves best friend. I get as much workout from stairmaster as the donkey raise. Love me some tippy toe stairs. Yeahhh budddy!

Ok so heres the deal. You can do calves once a week, but you need to be staggering out the gym once you're done. So heres my sets:

- Farmers walk on balls of feet to warm up: 4 sets for 2 mins. obviously this is more for traps and forearms but also working in calves when you can per rule #4. Dont worry that your calves arent hurting yet. This is just the handshake before the fight.

- Like on deadlift/squats/whatever compounds, put a 2x4 under the balls of your feet. That weight is going to strech those hammies and calves out. Again not going to feel it yet.

- Donkey raises, screw the seated raise. This help knee flexors hips and some lower PC to keep in the mix. Do 2 light sets with toes straight of whatever you can barely do to 8 as a warmup, then 2 more sets toes inward and toes outward. Sets need to be sloooow like 5 seconds per rep, any slower your wasting your time. Now go rest for a minutes, its about to get fun.

- Donkey raises, part deux. Now whatever you did for set of eight add enough to make it a set of 5 but I want you to hold at start (ie midrange) for 12 seconds, press up and hold for 12 seconds, lower slowly then hold at negative for 12 second, return to midrange. Thats one rep, rinse and repeat for those 5 reps, in all three postions, no rest between, 3 sets in each postion. If you can do more reps then you go Mr Beastmode, push on.

- Donkey raises, now in 3D, Rated R for violence towards calves. Now I want a working set back at whatever your 8 was to failure in all three postions, this time just pump out speed reps, as long as you can do full range of motion. 2 sets in each postion to failure.. I dont mean "ouchy this makes my tampon uncormfotable". No sir I mean the point of mechanically you can finish the rep cause. Then without stopping do partial reps, then when you cant do anymore stop with your calves in the decline postion (toes up, heel down if that makes sense) and hold as long as you can tolerate it as your nervous system goes into overload and you can feel the fibers pulling apart. That sir is you investing into though chicken legs of yours, push through it, keep holding keep holding keep <omg this hurts> holding. And done....

Now go strech against a wall, them those calves loose while you gulp your bcaas/whey/bovine colostrum-semen/whatever and smile cause you sir just been anhilating those calves. If you want/can do your cardio after remember to do to on the balls of your feet and change angles of extension to maximize the impact.

Hope this helps someone. If you liked it, rep it. If you love it, PM me. If it gets you some size post here. Best wishes and much growth my peeps.

Sheepdog out

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Mine are just little things, but I ski so it makes it easier to buckle the boots up tight :)

What I found also helps, which I need to get back to doing, is busting out 100 body weight calf raises everyday, while watching tv, making lunch, etc.

But you are right....you need to beat those things mercilessly lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calves need and want to be beat up so I work mine 3-4 days a week and have for many years. It paid off growing from little 16" ones to just over 19 now. Good post- I love calf work and feel that it is one of the most important muscles to build for a solid look.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Farmer walks on the balls of your feet!!? Sadist!!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just noticed this and cannot support:

- Like on deadlift/squats/whatever compounds, put a 2x4 under the balls of your feet. That weight is going to strech those hammies and calves out. Again not going to feel it yet.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Just noticed this and cannot support:

Why? Have you tried it? I have for years and love it. Great way to build negatives on calves.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Because I leave calf work for calf work and squats and dead on their own. There is no way I am doing 525 deads and squats with a 2x4 under my feet. Besides, I am riding 19+" calves, so I am doing something that works.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Because I leave calf work for calf work and squats and dead on their own. There is no way I am doing 525 deads and squats with a 2x4 under my feet. Besides, I am riding 19+" calves, so I am doing something that works.
So why you reading this? ^_^

Seriously if something works for you great, this works for me, might work for others. No one said do standard 5x5 weights on a 2x4. I have 19+ calves at 152 pounds while on a heavy cut withotu creatine, so i guess im doing something that works too. At 210 lbs I would want more and would be open to try new things.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Not saying I'm mr badass but I think for my size, being 39, a year of cutting, and not having worked them in a week I'm ok with that for an unprepared shot. Throw yours down with name and timestamp? ;) Seriously maybe this isn't the be-all/end-all of calve development, just saying I'm happy with what its done.

View attachment 97701View attachment 97702

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established

Seriously if something works for you great, this works for me, might work for others. No one said do standard 5x5 weights on a 2x4. I have 19+ calves at 152 pounds while on a heavy cut withotu creatine, so i guess im doing something that works too. At 210 lbs I would want more and would be open to try new things.
I actually enjoy doing calf raises on a v-squat machine, you get the full range of motion while standing. A lot of people do calf presses on the leg press machine which I also think is a good calf workout.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
I actually enjoy doing calf raises on a v-squat machine, you get the full range of motion while standing. A lot of people do calf presses on the leg press machine which I also think is a good calf workout.
Yup, great point MTI, get that time under tension where you can at as many angles as you can.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I am reading this because I enjoy training calves just like you do so I enjoy reading what others are doing for success. I am failing to see what you are hurt over when I complimented your post and gave you props in your OP. Just because you posted something does not mean that we have to agree with you on everything in order to comment in your thread.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
I am reading this because I enjoy training calves just like you do so I enjoy reading what others are doing for success. I am failing to see what you are hurt over when I complimented your post and gave you props in your OP. Just because you posted something does not mean that we have to agree with you on everything in order to comment in your thread.
Dont get me wrong man, I'm just razzing you. No butthurt here bud :)

schatzke12

Awards
Holy, gave this workout a whirl yesterday morn and my calves are still feeling it. Definitely gonna add it on every major day I do calves.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Holy, gave this workout a whirl yesterday morn and my calves are still feeling it. Definitely gonna add it on every major day I do calves.
Glad to hear its working for you. As I mentioned its not so much about the movements but about exhaustion over time then taking them past failure. Let us know how you progress schatzke!