cardio for cutting for bodybuilding

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.22%

cardio for cutting for bodybuilding

Hey guys I've been arguing with some guys at the gym over cardio methods. First keep in mind that my body composition is an ectomorph mesomorph mix. So I have been doing 30 minutes of high intensity fasted cardio and just recently increased up to 45 minutes. This guy at my gym says that going to cost me gain and that I should just walk on an incline for the same amount of time. Anyone have an opinion on this. Also I use to be a cross country runner and gain 20 lb. My last season. What should I do?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.22%

Oh ya the cross country season was 2 years ago. I haven't done any running since
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.57%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cory0475 View Post
    Hey guys I've been arguing with some guys at the gym over cardio methods. First keep in mind that my body composition is an ectomorph mesomorph mix. So I have been doing 30 minutes of high intensity fasted cardio and just recently increased up to 45 minutes. This guy at my gym says that going to cost me gain and that I should just walk on an incline for the same amount of time. Anyone have an opinion on this. Also I use to be a cross country runner and gain 20 lb. My last season. What should I do?
    HIIT generally for 20 minutes, maybe 30 is plenty. And HIIT has been shown in studies to help, not hinder with size. Tell those guys at the gym to start reading more than just Highlights magazines.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.22%

But for continuous high intensity cardio for 45 min?
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.57%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

But for continuous high intensity cardio for 45 min?
    No, 20 mins. of intervals.
    Strong Supplement Shop
    - Board Rep -
    Check out our deals at strongsupplementshop.com
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.2%

I usually do 10-15 minutes of HIIT followed by another 20-30 of slow steady state cardio. I have had excellent results.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.66%

Hey guys I've been arguing with some guys at the gym over cardio methods.
    Right theres your problem, bad place to look for wisdom

First keep in mind that my body composition is an ectomorph mesomorph mix. So I have been doing 30 minutes of high intensity fasted cardio and just recently increased up to 45 minutes. This guy at my gym says that going to cost me gain and that I should just walk on an incline for the same amount of time. Anyone have an opinion on this. Also I use to be a cross country runner and gain 20 lb. My last season. What should I do?
    So i have similar metabolism (body type has been dismissed but some people are carb sensitive). What worked for me was fasted cardio with OEP and extra yohimbine at intervals. Yohimbine means no luecine or protien to work. If I knew about forskolin and T2 Id have done that as well.

This is IMHO max fat loss but youre going to dip into muscle, particularly is you break beyond the "fat burning zone" around 120ish for most guys.

Theres some that believe casein + luecine sipped during is best for some weight loss without muscle loss while others say bcaas as a middle ground. So there is no right answer, its kinda of a sliding bar of max loss vs slow but careful trimming.
    Ageforce rep, Provider of high quality, patch delivered supplementation.
    Follow my 8 week log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/241734-lean-bulk-recomp.html
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I prefer weighted vest walking, but HIIT is fine; don't do it for too long tho.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.22%

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog.tx View Post

Right theres your problem, bad place to look for wisdom

So i have similar metabolism (body type has been dismissed but some people are carb sensitive). What worked for me was fasted cardio with OEP and extra yohimbine at intervals. Yohimbine means no luecine or protien to work. If I knew about forskolin and T2 Id have done that as well.

This is IMHO max fat loss but youre going to dip into muscle, particularly is you break beyond the "fat burning zone" around 120ish for most guys.

Theres some that believe casein + luecine sipped during is best for some weight loss without muscle loss while others say bcaas as a middle ground. So there is no right answer, its kinda of a sliding bar of max loss vs slow but careful trimming.
    I guess I should say one more thing about max loss vs. Slow but careful. I have 7 weeks before my first bodybuilding show and I still need to loss 11lb. Which should I be doing slow but careful or max loss
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Weighted vest walking is good. The heavier the better.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.66%

I guess I should say one more thing about max loss vs. Slow but careful. I have 7 weeks before my first bodybuilding show and I still need to loss 11lb. Which should I be doing slow but careful or max loss
    Cory keep in mind for contest you have other factors like your water management (both flushing properly and topical), skin tightness from tan/coconut oil/prep H/etc, so on. That will help some but it can only do so much so til then try to keep your mass and cut safe but slow. Might look at "The Ultimate Cardio Solution: Disclosed" by Chris Shugart on T Nation, supposedly its the zero muscle loss cardio solution, but expect to be on the extreme slow side of the fat loss spectrum.

With 7 weeks you can do alot with that if you're strict. I'd look at the anabolic diet, cut your carbs, bcaa around the clock and make sure your just under maintanence but staying high protien. Dont be afraid of fat in your diet to keep energy up and for T needs. That way you keep your gains (albiet deflatted looking without carbs) and cutting down nicely.

Go over your stack, make sure youre doing forskolin with the right beta 2 antagonists, maybe look at a cycle of T2, maybe the ageforce patch as its the only way to get Tyr-Somatostatin in your system i know of.

Before contest you will be mega senstive to carbs so then you can backload you will swell, manage your water, and be ready. Best of luck buddy
    Ageforce rep, Provider of high quality, patch delivered supplementation.
    Follow my 8 week log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/241734-lean-bulk-recomp.html
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.8%

I found recently that 30 minutes of HiiT was eating away my gains
    Downed it to 15-20
    Listen to your body and moniter your progress
    Changing the World
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Everyone's body responds a little different. Hiit for about 20 minutes post workout has worked the best for me. Good rate of fat loss while maintaining gains.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.51%

I have always done an hour of LISS post workout with bcaas. I weight train 6 days a week though so I believe HIIT would only hinder my progress and burn out my central nervous system. I do my cardio everyday as well. If you are competing, depending on whether you are using AAS or not is a huge determining factor, however if not I would stick to LISS and adjust according to your needs. I would really focus on the training if I were you, you can turn up the intensity by keeping your rest periods short (30-45) seconds and focus on your mind muscle connection.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.14%

I would do 15 mins HIIT post workout, or 20 mins HIIT in the mornings. I personally think its best to be sipping on BCAAs, I believe your body performs on a much higher level when in a fed state which will end up helping you burn more overall calories from a more intense workouts.
    ​Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ultradrol Cycle For Cutting/Cardio Performance
    By caliborn in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
  2. Ultradrol Cycle For Cutting/Cardio Performance
    By caliborn in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
  3. Supplement for cutting for a Women
    By karmaxoxo in forum Weight Loss