Advice for lat growth???

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
I can do at least 20 pull-ups with full extension, and I feel it in my Lats, but they don't seem to get any bigger. Any advice on good lat growing exercises? I don't have access to a lat pull down machine so that's not an option. Looking to be able to get that wide flared out back.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If you want to keep doing pullups add some weight and work back up to 20, then when you do add more. Progression is key.

Weighted vest, kettle bell, weight plate locked between legs, whatever you have.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I liked doing pull ups, but the arms seem to wear some before the lats get a total w/o. The lats are a large group and can take time to build them, so be patient.
Personally, I think rows (standard BB rows if that is all you have) puts mass and thickness on the back.
Also, as Driven^ says, add weight. 20 reps is probably not really building your mass as much as it is just pumping you up or tiring you out. Add weight, do rep ladders etc. etc.
Also free weight stuff...
BB bent rows
Yates rows
T bar rows (stick a bb end in a wall corner and do meadows or something
One armed DB rows
Kroc rows
Heavy deads too

Lots of free weight rowing.
Also, eating enough has a bit to do with mass.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I can do at least 20 pull-ups with full extension, and I feel it in my Lats, but they don't seem to get any bigger. Any advice on good lat growing exercises? I don't have access to a lat pull down machine so that's not an option. Looking to be able to get that wide flared out back.
Put your hands as far apart as you can, and make sure you're pinching your shoulder blades together BEFORE starting pulling up. Add weight and get those reps down below 10 and build back up. If you're doing more then 15 you're prob just wasting your time for size/width/thickness.

Also, as suggested, BB rows (over or underhand), seated cable rows, machine pullovers/straight arm cable pullovers are all great mass builders.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Switch to chin ups and get 20. Chins are harder, and supposedely help had to the width or "spread" of the lats. You can also do a mechanical advantage set where you start out with chin ups, max out, then switch to pull ups. Sounds like you may have limited access to equipment so this may help.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rack chins are another good option

Mystere3

Awards
one arm rows with dumbbells (as heavy as possible with good form), meadows rows, t-bar rows, barbell rows with big weight are good options; my fav for building big mass is actually the hammer strength high row and low row machines; load up 4-5 plates a side on them and go to town. You don't have to worry about the limitations of grip strength or other issues as much.

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
Switch to chin ups and get 20. Chins are harder, and supposedely help had to the width or "spread" of the lats. You can also do a mechanical advantage set where you start out with chin ups, max out, then switch to pull ups. Sounds like you may have limited access to equipment so this may help.
I thought chins were more for biceps?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Hows the diet? Is there enough extra calories to induce growth?

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
Hows the diet? Is there enough extra calories to induce growth?
I'm currently eating pretty clean I weigh about 140. (I'm only 5' 4 don't worry) I eat somewhere around 2700 cals- 190g protein: about 80g fat: not sure about carbs probably somewhere around 200g: I burn about 2300 cals a day

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm currently eating pretty clean I weigh about 140. (I'm only 5' 4 don't worry) I eat somewhere around 2700 cals- 190g protein: about 80g fat: not sure about carbs probably somewhere around 200g: I burn about 2300 cals a day
Wut?
Eat 2700 kcals a day
Calorie expenditure of 2300 kcals a day?

I'm 5'5" and weigh 170. I eat 3k a day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eat another 1000kcals per day and get stronger. If you're not getting at least your BW for 10-12 on rows, you're not putting enough emphasis on strength.

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
Eat another 1000kcals per day and get stronger. If you're not getting at least your BW for 10-12 on rows, you're not putting enough emphasis on strength.
I can row my body weight for way more than 10 reps. My max deadlift is 305.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What Rodja originally said. You cannot weigh 140 and have a wide back. Those two things cannot coexist unless you're 5'2" and 8% body fat. Bulk hard for 6 months, get stronger than hell in a variety of back movements, and watch how much it grows.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pull ups are better for activating more bicep fibers, but the chin up grip helps involve more lat recruitment. Combine those with heavy rows and you should see good back development.

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Chin ups put the biceps in a stronger line of pull and pull ups hit the lats harder because the biceps are in a weaker position.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chin ups put the biceps in a stronger line of pull and pull ups hit the lats harder because the biceps are in a weaker position.
Isn't it vice versa because chin ups are over hand, pull ups are under hand?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chin ups are better for activating more bicep fibers, but the pull up grip helps involve more lat recruitment. Combine those with heavy rows and you should see good back development.
Fixed.

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Haha. I knew what ya meant,but op might not have. All good now tho.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think you all are referring to the same exercise, you're just calling it by two different names.

Palms facing away from you, forearms perpendicular to floor (or sometimes slightly wider) during the pulling motion = Pull-Ups, with the lats being the primary target.

Palms facing you, narrower grip = Chin-Ups, with biceps being primary muscle. Your lats do some work too.

Any back exercise will naturally involve the biceps.

Incorporate different intensity techniques to your lifts if your progress slows down.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Eat more food and add some weight to the pull ups I'm 5'8 185 and around 10% bf I can put down 2700cal in a decent cheat meal

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
What exactly do you have access too? Back was my best body part hands down when body building, and I wasnt blessed with a naturally large back, I created it with lots of hard work and time, but I have helped many people to achieve big gains in back muscle when they thought it couldnt be done.

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
What exactly do you have access too? Back was my best body part hands down when body building, and I wasnt blessed with a naturally large back, I created it with lots of hard work and time, but I have helped many people to achieve big gains in back muscle when they thought it couldnt be done.

I have a barbell and a pull-up bar

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Meadows Rows + one arm BB rows with the hand placed just under the base of where the weights are held on the bar has worked best for me. Really focus on the contraction and if you slightly arch your back so your shoulders are retracted back helps with activating the lats imo

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I think its been said here already but I will chime in anyway. Heavy old-school compound movements will never fail. Heavy Deadlifts, wide grip BB rows and really focus on contraction. I recently added Meadows Rows to the mix and am feeling it more in the upper lat area. There's no substitute for the basics like the different row variations. And any back routine without Deadlifts is not gonna work in my opinion.

NASMTyler

Awards
wide grip pull-ups. That's all I have to say