Bulking

Yankee_Babe

Yankee_Babe

Awards
Wanted some advice on my workout and diet. I'm a petite female, 5 ft exactly and weigh around 103lbs I do weight training 5-6 days a week & eat as clean as possible. As far as supplements go I use jacked 3d for my pre workout. I have some muscle definition but would like to be a little thicker (bulkier) any advice? Should I not eat as clean? Would protein shakes help? More carbs?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well bulking per se (from the BBer standpoint) is putting on some fat with some lean mass, or actually keeping up more of a caloric surplus, so one gains some overall BW. That does not mean oyu should eat crap. You can just eat more broccoli, oats, chicken, tuna, etc.
Not sure exactly your goals, but most bulking is related to food. Of course heavier weights and multi sets seem to be more favorable among the main crowds (3-4 sets of 5-8 reps on the big compound exercises like leg presses, squats, deads, rowing, pull ups/chins/ pull dwns, OHP's, BP's, making sure the big muscle groups which contain 80% of the body's lean mass is involved ie: legs, hips, back, chest, shoulders, are always the main targets, then some iso work at the end of W/O's for say arms, etc., seems best IMO

Yankee_Babe

Yankee_Babe

Awards
My ultimate goal is to gain a few pounds of muscle. Not really looking to lean out or anything like that. But like you mentioned, Eating more sounds about right. Thanks for the help.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you could start by lifting heavier and then adding volume to that extra weight lifted. if you are not lifting to get big and you just eat more you will just gain fat.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
I want to gain weight... that's what she said... what! lol something that is not very common amongst the female population.

Caloric Intake

Energy balance is the primary dietary driver of body weight and it also impacts body composition. A chronic surplus of calories will result in increased body weight and a chronic deficit of calories will result in a loss of body weight.

In other words, in order to gain about one pound of tissue weight (as opposed to transient flux in water weight), you need to consume a total of about 3,500 calories more than you expend. And to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you have to do the opposite -- consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend.

Thus, the first step in constructing any rational diet is to get a sense of how many calories per day, on average, you should consume in order to progress towards your goals.

The average number of calories you expend per day -- called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) -- is a function of your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your average weekly activity level.

To estimate your BMR, it's important to have a sense of how much lean body mass (LBM) you carry. If you're not sure, post a photo or two and we can estimate your percentage body fat and, from this number and your total body weight, it's easy to estimate LBM by using the following formula:
LBM = body weight * (1 - percentage body fat)

To estimate BMR, use the the Katch-McArdle formula:
BMR = 370 + (9.8 * LBM in pounds)
or
BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM in kg)

The next step is to estimate average weekly activity using the following guidelines to calculate an activity factor (AF):

• 1.1 - 1.2 = Sedentary (desk job, and little formal exercise, this will be most of you students)

• 1.3 - 1.4 = Lightly Active (light daily activity and light exercise 1-3 days a week)

• 1.5 - 1.6 = Moderately Active (moderately daily Activity & moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)

• 1.7 - 1.8 = Very Active (physically demanding lifestyle & hard exercise 6-7 days a week)

• 1.9 - 2.2 = Extremely Active (athletes in endurance training or very hard physical job)

To estimate TDEE (the calories at which you will neither gain nor lose tissue weight), use the following formula:
TDEE = BMR * AF

Now that you've estimated your TDEE, it's important to refine that estimate empirically. To do so, consume an average amount of calories equal to estimated TDEE for two weeks, monitoring weight change. The results will confirm your actual TDEE.

Once you know your actually TDEE, set your caloric intake to match your goals as follows:
To maintain weight, consume an amount of calories equal to TDEE.
To lose weight, consume 10% to 20% less than TDEE.
To gain weight, consume 10% 20 20% more than TDEE.

Monitor weight change via the scale and also body composition via the mirror and how clothing fits, making adjustments as needed biweekly.

Macronutrient Intake

Protein: ~0.6 to ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research.

Fat: ~0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer -- as implied by research.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, your definitely petite. If you want to bulk up just consume more calories, simple as that.

If your not already using protein shakes, having one after you workout is very beneficial and is a easy way to add 150 cals to your diet.

Yankee_Babe

Yankee_Babe

Awards
Thanks a lot! Very helpful, I started today with ISO 100 protein shake after my workout. Hope to start seeing some positive results. I think the toughest part is going to be eating a lot more.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, IMO if you gain slower and over time only adding in a small amount of cals (if that is your goal, as I think you look quite good and have nice muscle def and nice proportions) like #1 pound or so per week, (I know it does not sound like much but go to the store and look at how much a few pounds of ground meat looks like and #1 per week is #52 in a year...!!!! yikes HAHAHA) it may tend to go more towards muscular bulk and lean tissue, than just gaining adipose tissue and then having more trouble getting rid of it as you get older.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks a lot! Very helpful, I started today with ISO 100 protein shake after my workout. Hope to start seeing some positive results. I think the toughest part is going to be eating a lot more.
Eh its a process. 4 years ago, 2200 kcals was about all I could do. Now, 3200kcals is barely enough to keep me from starving. The difference? 20lbs heavier and leaner too!

Eating more is a process. Be patient!