lower back pain out of no where?

1. Registered User
    Answers

lower back pain out of no where?

I have been lifting for a few years. For the last year I have been doing heavy deadlifts 1-2x a week with nothing more then a sore back the next day. I deployed about 2 months ago the first day I tried DL my lower back hurt like hell. I tried it a few more times a couple workouts later and still pain. I then switched to trying to do power cleans and still lower back pain. I now no longer do DL or PC because of lower back pain. I am about 99% sure my form is still correct. I am not sure if it is because of the new bed?

Does anyone suggest anything about getting it back together? For the past 2 weeks I haven't done DL or PC so I have been trying to get my back to heal a little.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I would focus on using lightweight and high volume for awhile and slowly building up to heavier weight over time.
    Current Log-Olympus labs Stenadrol- http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/247378-olympus-labs-stenadrol.html#post4430422
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Even though your situation is a but different ill let you in on what my back injury recovery plan was.

I took 2 weeks fully off of heavy lifting, in that time I did mobility work, stretching, and myo-fasial release several times a day. 2-3 10 minute sessions. I also performed all my lifts with a broom stick to hopefully keep the movement practiced.

When It started to feel better, I chose to lower my weights and do the Juggernaut program (book by chad Wesley smith). You can check out my log. The program starts with very high rep stuff with a lot of volume, but low weight and gradually pushes you back into hitting the heavy stuff. I highly suggest it.

Is your back only hurting while lifting heavy? Or is it day to day pain when moving around?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

How tender are the trigger points in your glutes, hams and around the belt line?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    How tender are the trigger points in your glutes, hams and around the belt line?
    ^^ these 2 posts.

Back pain can come from a variety of places in the body. Soft tissue stress is a major contributor. Obviously while deployed you might have limited access to physical therapy, but try searching the web for exercises including: back, hips, legs/knees, and ankles. Basically try to work everything slowly and stay away from lifting for a couple of weeks.
    Good luck brother and stay safe.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

http://www.athletestreatingathletes....atment-system/

Click on self massage to display all the trigger points for your glutes and back.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  7. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    http://www.athletestreatingathletes....atment-system/

Click on self massage to display all the trigger points for your glutes and back.
    Awesome link bud

Working the glutes, hamsteings and psoas is what I usually do when my lower back is bothering me
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Awesome link bud Working the glutes, hamsteings and psoas is what I usually do when my lower back is bothering me
    The mobilization techniques are "eh" but it provides a very good view of everything. I'm tired of lookin at pictures of skeletons to learn where this shít is at lol
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

I should also mention, no offense, that sometimes people think their form is good, and sometimes things can still be improved on. This could also be a factor in your pain.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  10. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    The mobilization techniques are "eh" but it provides a very good view of everything. I'm tired of lookin at pictures of skeletons to learn where this shít is at lol
    I only looked at one of the self massage links. I liked how they showed the pics of the person and then went through the various levels of where the bones and muscles were and the trigger points

Name:  lumbarbone.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  110.3 KB
    Name:  backmuscle1.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  114.1 KB
    Name:  backmuscle21.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  117.0 KB
    Name:  lumbarkeyarea.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  113.5 KB
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for all the feedback. If I can remember right it is about 1/3rd the way up my back and down that hurts. I don't think I have access to a foam roller I will have to check the other fitness tent that has all that mats, and yoga stuff to see if they do. I have used them before and they are great. I don't have access to a tennis ball unless I order one online which I might have to.

I can usually DL 225 for 8-10 reps for sets with no pain at all. This all started the first time I did a DL here since I been deployed. I haven't really been stretching as much as I should, In fact I probably only stretch 1/7 days and I know it is bad but I am going to start doing it every day. I don't do any lower back exercises anymore as I am wanting it to heal. The only activation my lower back gets I would say is from squats. I do get a little pain from that but it usually don't last.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has this problem or not but it seems that the only real way for me to sleep is on my back. I can't lay on my stomach as my arms/chest feel like they are going to rip off when sleeping with them over my head. And when I sleep on my sides it feels like my shoulders are taking a beating and I wake up with small spider vein looking bruises. Not only that but when I am on my side it feels like my shoulder it crammed up in front of me and is sort of uncomfortable. I am bulking and have put on 25+ pounds in the last 2 months, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

New Years resolution - Stretch!

I feel like I am tight all the time on a lot of things and I should have thought about it more but this lower back pain and not being able to DL is starting to annoy me.

Thank you everyone for the help! This site is 1000000000000x better than bodybuilding.com
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Also, I read foam rollers vary in firmness and it can be bad to get one to hard and bad to get one to soft. Is this something I will have to experiment or does anyone recommend one?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Big PVC pipe can work as a roller as well.

Along with any similar sized ball.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Yeah, I have been reading and noticed that also, read about some rumble rollers. I think it would be hard to come across a big PVC pipe here.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Rumble rollers are great, just torture the first few times. I use one for about 10 minutes before each workout
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I injured my back while on active duty in Iraq, and it was basically brushed off as having just really bad muscle spasms..... I ended up having to get out with an honorable discharge and about 2 months later while working as a personal trainer, my legs went out, and pissed and S%&t myself and was rushed into emergency surgery... Scary as hell at 27yrs old.... long story short, the surgery was considered a FAILED BACK SURGERY, or Post Laminectic surgery syndrome which basically means that the surgery didn't take, and I am not seriously screwed. I will be 33 on the 4th of January, and I tell you, that this journey has been horrible. To go from being a bad ass in my eyes to an 80yr old man basically over night has been pure hell. Take care of your back, use a brace, take your time, and protect it like it is a child because you could end up like me, and brother, I literally have a suicide attempt under my belt... good luck to you, and feel free to hit up with any questions, I have become some what of an expert at it, and have been taking classes to get my doctorate in the field of it,,,, take care...CJ
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cbal602 View Post
    I injured my back while on active duty in Iraq,
    Can I ask how you inured it?
    2 months later while working as a personal trainer, my legs went out, and pissed and S%&t myself and was rushed into emergency surgery...
    Very sorry to hear. What was the docs initial diagnosis and reason for the surgery?
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Putting on 25 pounds can make a difference in form. Your levers and form probably changed. Google Westside Barbell, Elite FTS and Clint Darden for tips. (Tried posting links, but I don`t have enough posts yet.) Google reverse hyper homemade for an exercise that can help - any large, flat surface will do - just focus on the stretch at the bottom. Though I`m not the biggest fan, Kelly Starrett-Mobility WOD is also a great resource.

If you have a video of your deadlift form, we could critique it. Most likely you are using just your back to lift and not activating your glutes-hams-quads enough.

Sleeping on your back should be fine. Donny Shankle (US weightlifter) suggests it`s the only way an athlete should sleep.

For the time being, be safe - don`t do anything that aggravates your lower back. Good luck with your deployment.
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

Very sorry to hear. What was the docs initial diagnosis and reason for the surgery?
    likely cauda equina syndrome. lower extremity weakness and loss of sphincter tone due to compression of the cauda equina (tail end of the spinal cord). sounds like he had a laminectomy, which removes a portion of the vertebrae over the spinal cord in order to decompress. wonder if he got corticosteriods initially before surgery for the inflammation, i believe that is the protocol if i remember correctly.
  20. Registered User
    Answers

Hey guys. I have been hitting the foam roller a bit, not quite sure it is doing anything because the ones they have here that I found are worn out. The foam just caves in so bad that when I am rolling my back I only feel it on the sides because it is caved in. I have ordered a firm one from Amazon which I plan to use along with 2 lacrosse balls while sitting at work.

Also, I found the reason for the lower back pain, it was actually back pumps from running some Stenzine. I had a feeling it was back pumps but I have never had them this bad before when I did a S-Drol cycle before. I don't take it anymore and within 1 week I was able to do some DL without hurting instantly. Of course my back was pretty sore for about 2 - 3 days it is now feeling fine again. I was able to go in and do 355x1 and it was pretty easy. I checked up a bunch of DL videos just a few days prior to just make sure there wasn't anything I was missing when doing it and so I gave it a shot and went fine.

I am however still going to do the foam rolling and what not just to get limber. I feel I am getting tight and can't stretch out as far as I used to. It is getting hard to scratch my back and other parts so I hope foam rolling and lacrosse balls will help with that.

Thanks for everyone who did reply and help. I love this community because people actually help and not troll (BB.com).
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. headache and vomiting out of no where
    By bananaClip in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
  2. Low sex drive out of no where 22 yrs old HELP!
    By who281 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
  3. lower back pain = no squats and deadlifts :(
    By 310lifter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM
  4. M1t and lower back pain PART 2!!!!!
    By thepizmo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 08:07 PM
  5. Liquid solutions out of clomid - Where to buy?
    By dannyboy5000 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 11:47 PM