Cardio twice a day??

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.48%

Cardio twice a day??

I am 215 pounds, around 10-11% bf with a pretty decent amount of muscle/strength/physique but obviously trying to burn some fat and get leaner. I would like to maintain the amount of muscle I have, while burning fat. I love doing about 15-20 minutes of moderate cardio after my weights workouts. I can usually run around 2.5 miles on the treadmill in 20 minutes so I would consider it moderate intensity. I do cardio after every workout. My question is if it would be wise to do another cardio session later in the day after my weights and first cardio session (maybe 4 or 5 hours later). I would only do about 30 minutes or so on a stationary bike on the second cardio session. Id really love the perspective from a muscle building stand point to see if this is a good idea or if I am doing too much cardio, resulting in a loss of muscle?? Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I've done it on a cut if you have your diet down you should not loose much if any muscle.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/229429-my-fat-mess.html
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.46%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Can definitely be done, as Harbonah said that your diet would need to be on point. Depending on how intense your lifts are as well, I would worry about burnout at some point. Just make sure if you start to feel tired alot or run down, stop with the two a days.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

I think adding more cardio to an already cardio-heavy routine is a bad idea, and you're set yourself up for losing more muscle than you need to.

I think once you approach a certain degree of leanness you should revisit your diet, really tighten it up, but start incorporating more refeeds to maintain the weightloss (and understand that while you weight will go up after a refeed you'll net more fatloss by the end of the week than if you hadn't of done the refeed in the first place).

Another alternative since you've been doing mainly steady state cardio is to do some HIIT instead of the steady state (either as a separate session or in addition to your lifting). That could definitely provide both a new stimulus to help you get leaner and help preserve muscle since it's more anabolic/less catabolic than steady state cardio.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I think adding more cardio to an already cardio-heavy routine is a bad idea, and you're set yourself up for losing more muscle than you need to.

I think once you approach a certain degree of leanness you should revisit your diet, really tighten it up, but start incorporating more refeeds to maintain the weightloss (and understand that while you weight will go up after a refeed you'll net more fatloss by the end of the week than if you hadn't of done the refeed in the first place).

Another alternative since you've been doing mainly steady state cardio is to do some HIIT instead of the steady state (either as a separate session or in addition to your lifting). That could definitely provide both a new stimulus to help you get leaner and help preserve muscle since it's more anabolic/less catabolic than steady state cardio.
    I would not call 15-20 min of cardio post workout a cardio heavy routine do you know something outside of this post? Like maybe he is doing crossfit or something? :what:
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/229429-my-fat-mess.html
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

Quote Originally Posted by harbonah View Post
    I would not call 15-20 min of cardio post workout a cardio heavy routine do you know something outside of this post? Like maybe he is doing crossfit or something? :what:
    Yeah you're right, I guess 2 hours or less of cardio a week is not the worst thing in the world, no. Still stand by what I said, though.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  7. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Certainly is plausible

Endurance training limits strength gains and hypertrophy
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.48%

Quote Originally Posted by harbonah View Post
    No, not doing crossfit. I laid out my workout plan in the original post. I am however going to start incorporating HIIT training on my "cardio only" days to give the cardio a little more of a fat burning target.

Similar Forum Threads

1. You've lifted twice a day and... ?
    By Grunt76 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
  2. ZMA twice a day??
    By deadliftsmith in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 09:36 AM
  3. Low intensity cardio during the day
    By Anarchy939 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 12:47 AM
  4. superdrol - twice a day or once a day?
    By such a loser yo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 06:47 PM
  5. M5AA Once or Twice a Day Dosing
    By supersoldier in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 11:41 PM