Heavy squats

napalm

napalm

Awards
You cut it about 2 inches high, and your knees are coming forward too much for my liking. I'd like to see a side/front view.

It looks like you're plenty strong, you just need some work at a lighter weight to get your technique dialed in.

When I start having trouble w depth, I'll box squat to an 11 1/2 inch box, which is about an inch below parallel for me. For your knees coming forward, cue yourself to sit back more. You want more of a vertical shin.

Good luck...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Napalm covered it all. You're way above parallel. Just squat lower and you'll be set. Open your hips up by screwing your feet into the ground to engage your glutes. Knees will go out and you'll sit down/back

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Urrently working out with a modified version of wendlers 5/3/1..
define modified? there are so many variations of accessory work and thanks to the beyond 5/3/1 there are even variations on the main lift as well. i wonder what you could have done differently that is not in the 5/3/1 material and proven to work.

as for that squat, i think you posted the wrong vid. that was a good max effort half squat. im not going to be so nice, that was like 6inches high. of course a better angle would have told us better how hi or lo. if you are only trying to get big than parallel is not needed as much but for the sake of your knees you need to go higher or lower. it looked like you stopped right at a 90 degree angle on the knee which is the weakest position of the knees.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You want more of a vertical shin.
One thing that may help you that I use with hockey players I train is to "sit back" when you start your eccentric. Lead with your butt first, don't start with your knees, which is what it looks like you're doing in that vid. I think that will help you fix what napalm was talking about.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The other thing I noticed just now is on your drive out of the hole your knees are buckling inward. Going to a lighter weight and working on technique as Napalm suggested will help this. Focus on driving your knees out as you drive up and that will make the movement a little easier as well.

hokiebird

hokiebird

Awards
Definitely great advice from in the posts above mine, but I was just going to mention the slight inward knee movement as you started pushing the weight. I think pointing your toes outward a bit more, might help prevent that.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Whoah. I apreciate the advice but a half squat? Never that.. That was definitely parallel but i agree not deep enough.. When i squat close stance its actually easier to go a2g because i can sit straight down and really open up my hips and get my knees out.I usually use an olympic style squat because i am also practicing the olympic lifts.. So that is why i break at the knees first and knees travel over my toes.. Im actually workin on ankle mobility to get even deeper so my knees are going to go even further over my toes..the knees tracking inward is definitely a prob..im also working on that by lossening up my adductors.. And so when i say modified i basically mean im applying the percentages to my lifts using all the same accessories and just plugging in the olympic lifts..i must say the progression works well with olympic lifts too.. Im doin snatches front squats and deadlifting today. Im gonna get a vid up

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Im surprised no one noticed that i lost tightness in my upper back..workin on that also

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Def not parallel man. I'd put good work in on breaking that. I watched your DL vids on your page. I'd work on your lockout. I'll watch again later when I have time and give you a better idea of what to work on

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you know what the definition of parallel for the squat is? You're definitely not there and I'd say somewhere between 2-3" high. Too much knee flexion, minimal hip action, loose upper back, and you never lock your knees at the beginning of the rep.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
your deadlift-you dip your knees down under the bar to get it past your knees, then you don't finish the lockout

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Def not parallel man. I'd put good work in on breaking that. I watched your DL vids on your page. I'd work on your lockout. I'll watch again later when I have time and give you a better idea of what to work on
]

It was parallel man.. I know this cuz i had a trainer to the left cueing me.. Its the angle. Im gonna get a a better angle today. Yea that deadlift was ugly.. Terrible shoes to deadlift in. You can see how much my weight shifts forward. My heels actually come off the ground.Lock out is my sticking point. Getting the weight off the ground is no prob. Any tips on that?

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Sorry man. There's not way I'm believing that's parallel.

It's good effort but you need to get your knees out, they look like they're bowing in. It also looks like some curving in your back.

Good mornings.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
] lockout is my sticking point. Getting the weight off the ground is no prob. Any tips on that?
Aside from an overall, properly executed deadlift; I would recommend block pulls. Strengthening your glutes up with various exercises to strengthen your hip drive, as well.

That form was terrible though, so I'd work with some weight that allows you to pull correctly. You're doing nothing positive for yourself doing that, and with that weight. Agreed on the shoes. Go barefoot or flat soled.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I also urge you guys to take into comsideration that these are maximal lifts.. Even advance athletes break form during maximal lifts take a look at the back curvature of dmitry klokov front squating vv

image-4045585342.jpg

Im done being defensive. I dont wanna be that douche that goes on a forum, asks for advice, and ends up cursing everyone out and to never be heard from again..still accepting all criticism guys

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Yeah but seeing where your form breaks down is a good indicator of where you need more work.

I would lower the weights and restart 5/3/1. I would do it as is though. No changes.

And work on your frigging depth.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well you asked for a critique lol You asked what's wrong and we told you, so there's absolutely no "taking into consideration" anything.

Did you want us to think "His back was loose, but it was heavy so I won't tell him about it"?!

It just makes me think, still, that you shouldn't have used that weight unless for sure you were able to hit depth. Normally if someone rounds and doesn't make depth, means it's too heavy of a load. I'm not trying to be an a?shole, I'm trying to be constructive here.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Well you asked for a critique lol You asked what's wrong and we told you, so there's absolutely no "taking into consideration" anything. Did you want us to think "His back was loose, but it was heavy so I won't tell him about it"?! It just makes me think, still, that you shouldn't have used that weight unless for sure you were able to hit depth. Normally if someone rounds and doesn't make depth, means it's too heavy of a load. I'm not trying to be an a?shole, I'm trying to be constructive here.
Those weights dont get used often.Its hard not to get defensive wen people say things like "terrible form" and "quater squats" but i get it dude.. Im getting wat i asked for and i appreciate it. I do know my limits and a 500lb deadlift is where my form starts to break so thats where i call it quits

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those weights dont get used often.Its hard not to get defensive wen people say things like "terrible form" and "quater squats" but i get it dude.. Im getting wat i asked for and i appreciate it. I do know my limits and a 500lb deadlift is where my form starts to break so thats where i call it quits
You need to drop that when positing a video on a public forum asking for critique. If you didn't appreciate me saying "terrible" then I apologize, but a deadlift shouldn't have looked like that.

Half squat was used, only because from the angle that you provided us, that's what it appeared to be to us (us-being competitive powerlifters who are subject to judging of depth)

napalm

napalm

Awards
I've seen a lot, and I mean a lot of squats in my day from every angle.

That was 2-3 inches high and it's not even close...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Technique will break at near maximal percentages, but that is no excuse for missing depth. That's the entire point that everyone has made and you've argued or ignored that fact.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My bad for being hard headed..i guess i have more of an ego than i thought.. I wuda got more vodeo but no one i know was at the gym.. Had to ask some random dude to get this for me. Give it to me straight. No homo http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=H-po8ZBi2fQ
Depth is 10x better dude. Keep those glutes tight and you'll wobble just a bit less, though it was still minimal. Keeping that core tight/engaged will keep your torso up easier at that stick point around 0:16

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Good looking front squat, much better than the back squat you posted first. If I noticed anything, it looks like you MAY have had a small shift of weight from your heels to your toes coming up. It's hard to tell, so take it with a grain of salt here. Plant those heels hard and you will get out of the hole faster. Looked really good either way though!

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Good looking front squat, much better than the back squat you posted first. If I noticed anything, it looks like you MAY have had a small shift of weight from your heels to your toes coming up. It's hard to tell, so take it with a grain of salt here. Plant those heels hard and you will get out of the hole faster. Looked really good either way though!
Nah your right dude.. Im still having some hip and thoracic mobility issues im working on.. You cud tell by the bar path that my weight shifts a bit forward

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Depth is 10x better dude. Keep those glutes tight and you'll wobble just a bit less, though it was still minimal. Keeping that core tight/engaged will keep your torso up easier at that stick point around 0:16
Thanks man..Yea you know what, i think i was relying on the belt to keep me tight while unracking.. I usually dont use a belt but i thought it might help with the buttwink i had and it did but i guess it threw me off

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man..Yea you know what, i think i was relying on the belt to keep me tight while unracking.. I usually dont use a belt but i thought it might help with the buttwink i had and it did but i guess it threw me off
Butt wink could be so many different things. I personally hate a tight belt. It only gets super tight when I have a belly full of air.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Butt wink could be so many different things. I personally hate a tight belt. It only gets super tight when I have a belly full of air.
i am the opposite. I like a tight belt , but I also use a fabric/Velcro belt, so it may not be as bad. As far as the unrack, I use it on the initial push up, just gotta be careful not to get soft when you take the deep breath prior to the drop. I lost the butt wink when I started doing lots of good mornings to work up my lower back strength

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That pull was pretty quick and though I'm not a fan of the camera angle, I think I would've passed the lift. Pulling the slack out will definitely help remedy the teeter totter pulling action. The other fix is glute tightness and hip drive. I actually don't think you lost any upper back tightness at all. You're trying to pick the weight up rather than driving your heels through the floor. That's why your ass shoots up and the whole pull is all lower back. Put your ass into it and you'll have a much easier time locking out big weights.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
^^ truth!!
Get a side angle though, the analysis will be much more clear.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Red light for not having knees locked at the top and ditch the straps.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought I saw that but couldn't tell.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
That pull was pretty quick and though I'm not a fan of the camera angle, I think I would've passed the lift. Pulling the slack out will definitely help remedy the teeter totter pulling action. The other fix is glute tightness and hip drive. I actually don't think you lost any upper back tightness at all. You're trying to pick the weight up rather than driving your heels through the floor. That's why your ass shoots up and the whole pull is all lower back. Put your ass into it and you'll have a much easier time locking out big weights.
I watched it in slow motion and yur rite.. Although In my head before the lifts I'm thinking "squeeze glutes and drive through your heels" I guess it just breaks down wen I'm actually pulling it.. And that teeter totter yur talkin bout, I noticed it killed my momentum and shifted my weight.. Gnna be workin on that.. I'll get some more vids up

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I usually chalk it up but I went my buddies gym and it's actually a "health club" so no chalk allowed.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
That still doesn't address the soft knee issue.
Oh yea.. I mean I don't really know how to go at that. It's not something I've ever thought about.. Also don't think its that important if I'm not competing