Torn ACL

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, it's a "possible" torn ACL, according to my Dr.

Scenario: At the house, watching the Michigan/ND game. I had my kids rooting for MI w/ me, and had my 3 y/o daughter on my shoulders while I was standing watching the game. Anyway, we scored our first TD, & I went to hopping up & down around the living room & slipped on one of her dolls left on the floor. Trying not to fall or drop her, I tried to catch my balance & POP!! I immediately put her down & had to sit on the couch. Swelling soon followed. I assumed it was my ACL, but never went to the Dr for it. I just dealt w/ it. Then, about 4 weeks later, we went to Destin, FL for one last beach trip. The waves were kickin, so I went out there to play. Stupid me. One of the waves hit me, and spun me around and over. I went under water screaming! Lol.. Nobody even saw me go under. Finally, when I made it up to shore, I decided it was time to go see my Dr.

When we got home, I made an appt w/ him. He used to be a trainer for the LSU football team, so I kind of like his opinion on things like this. He did a little test on it, pulling it and said he's pretty sure it's torn, or very badly strained. He kinda talked me out of surgery due to my age and the fact that I don't play pro sports.

Does anybody have any suggestions for getting through this? Anything I can do to alleviate the pain. It's pretty much a daily thing. I'm afraid to squat now. Any suggestions for strengthening everything around that area?

Thanks!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
well the issue with acl surgery is they either pull a hammy to replace it, or you get a cadavre acl that might not take. pretty much any side movements are gonna fuk you up. and youre probly gonna develop arthritis in your knee at an earlier age than normal. but im guessin you already know all this from your doc

youre probly gonna have to kiss squats and deads goodbye without surgery

Bryancap77

Bryancap77

Awards
  • Established
I actually had an ACL replacement in 9th grade due to a football injury... Was completely torn in half. After much therapy and time, I can now squat as heavy as the next guy and as long as I take care of it, use it normally.

I'd suggest finding out whether it's torn or just strained because IMO that's a very big difference in recovery time/ability of use. Nothing worse than an ACL injury, and the worse thing you could do is cause it further damage by not properly taking care of it :/

I was in an enormous cast with gears on the side so I could walk for months. It was the most painful injury I've ever obtained.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, it's a "possible" torn ACL, according to my Dr.

Scenario: At the house, watching the Michigan/ND game. I had my kids rooting for MI w/ me, and had my 3 y/o daughter on my shoulders while I was standing watching the game. Anyway, we scored our first TD, & I went to hopping up & down around the living room & slipped on one of her dolls left on the floor. Trying not to fall or drop her, I tried to catch my balance & POP!! I immediately put her down & had to sit on the couch. Swelling soon followed. I assumed it was my ACL, but never went to the Dr for it. I just dealt w/ it. Then, about 4 weeks later, we went to Destin, FL for one last beach trip. The waves were kickin, so I went out there to play. Stupid me. One of the waves hit me, and spun me around and over. I went under water screaming! Lol.. Nobody even saw me go under. Finally, when I made it up to shore, I decided it was time to go see my Dr.

When we got home, I made an appt w/ him. He used to be a trainer for the LSU football team, so I kind of like his opinion on things like this. He did a little test on it, pulling it and said he's pretty sure it's torn, or very badly strained. He kinda talked me out of surgery due to my age and the fact that I don't play pro sports.

Does anybody have any suggestions for getting through this? Anything I can do to alleviate the pain. It's pretty much a daily thing. I'm afraid to squat now. Any suggestions for strengthening everything around that area?

Thanks!
Brace for any recreational activities and you should be a R.I.C.E. mascot. The Lachman test is very reliable but a MRI will confirm the best. As mentioned find out for sure if its a partial or complete tear as it changes the dynamic of recovery and activities greatly. Sadly at your age he wouldn't recommend surgery for the exact reasons you mentioned. Just make sure atrophy doesn't set in too bad and keep mobile and get a strong handle on inflammation control and you should be fine for awhile. Long as there's no chronic buckling and you take the right steps to strengthening it thing should be ok. I highly recommend the brace though.

Also Id recommend seeing a PT for a some sessions for a bit to not only get a gauge on where your strength is but to get the proper measurements to ensure your not regressing. Knee extension will be a pain and learning strategies to cope with that will be a blessing. Hope my 2 cents helps as Im no expert, but have a good idea of what your going thru.

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Aye, Sorry to hear that Enhanced bro, I got mine busted in 2k2, with two relapses, and now i have given up on getting this fixed. The latest relapse is funny. There are days I cannot climb a flight of stairs, there are days I can run 5 miles on the road or the treadmill.

Brace + Avoiding atrophy is the key. My PT really helped, but I do not do any heavy leg exercises, or if I do, they are very controlled. Body squats / air squats are good, but get a brace first. Avoid surgery, lest you wanna go back to lifting brutally heavy etc. Better of managing the injury, (though remember ACL injuries are about 85% psychological) will help your lifestyle.

I have controlled my injury by restricting some exercises, and converting from a scholarship soccer student, to a pretty well known management consultant + part time soccer coach, so that has altered my plan of life somehow.

I will monitor this thread if you ever need to speak / support.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What kind of brace do you guys recommend?