1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.19%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Glute help

I want to make my butt harder and more Shapely. I have big legs and calves, but my butt looks like that of a 40 year old desk worker.

When I used to squat for football, my butt was SO big that I could barely fit in jeans. It sucked.

For legs I do mostly higher reps and medium weights with curls, extensions, lunges, occasional leg press and sumo squats with dumbells, dead lifts, sled pushed and a fair amount of HIIT

I am undertaking 5x5 for my other muscles, but was shying away from it for legs in fear of turning these oak trunks into sequoias!

I want to squat again and make my butt something I can be proud of lol but I don't wanna have to buy new jeans bc I'm only 5'7 and the don't make pants to fit 5'7 guys with big asses.

Any advice on this topic would be great.
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Two things.

1. Training: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/07/27/w...ey-cannot-lie/ Bam!

2. Were you heavier when you played football? I notice that most people who lean out lose a lot of overall volume in their glutes, and most people who are lean to begin with do not have voluminous butts...unless they are really genetically gifted. When I gain weight my butt gets huge, when I lose weight it shrinks. Right now you can see some striations in my glutes...however, it is not Larry Fitzgerald like. Based upon your aviator pic (how lean you are) I don't think you will need to worry about not fitting in your jeans unless you put on upwards of 3-5% body fat.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.19%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Two things.

1. Training: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/07/27/w...ey-cannot-lie/ Bam!

2. Were you heavier when you played football? I notice that most people who lean out lose a lot of overall volume in their glutes, and most people who are lean to begin with do not have voluminous butts...unless they are really genetically gifted. When I gain weight my butt gets huge, when I lose weight it shrinks. Right now you can see some striations in my glutes...however, it is not Larry Fitzgerald like. Based upon your aviator pic (how lean you are) I don't think you will need to worry about not fitting in your jeans unless you put on upwards of 3-5% body fat.
    Thanks. Avi Is a little dated, from January. On erase and a thermo. But I'm relatively the same bf as i was then.

I'd estimate 14-15% ALL in my stomach and chest and ass lol. My thighs and quads are pretty lean, calves too. Just the stomach chest and ass!

I was 10 pounds heavier when I played football. I am 170-172. I was 180-84 and yes my ass was HUGE lol

Back In January I was dead lifting 5x5 and it grew pretty substantially without any heavy squatting movements. But I think being on magnesium creatine chelate played in to that a great deal.

Ill post up the template I plan on trying out and if I start getting too bulky down there ill back off. Will post it when I get home.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.19%

Template plan is

Bb deads- 5x5 (ramping sets)

Bb reverse lunges- 5x5 same weight

Sumo DB squats on two benches (holding db between legs)- 5x5 same weight

Straight leg db deads- 5x5 ramping sets

Trap deads- 3x20

Leg extensions - 3x20

Leg curls- 3x20
    Assorted calf work

For my chest template regarding our pm this was my original plan:

Incline smith- 5x5 ramping

Flat db press neutral grip-5x5 ramping

Decline bb bench- 5x5 ramping

Incline db flye-3x20

Cable crosses- 3x20

Wide grip dip partial reps- 3x20

But Im thinking I will do this instead now:

Incline CG smith- 5x2-3 ramping

Flat db press neutral grip wide 5x2-3 ramping

Decline Bb bench- 5x2-3 ramping (not sure what to sub here) maybe flat neutral grip with db touching??

Incline db press neutral grip wide-3x20

Incline db press neutral grip w db's touching together!! Lol- 3x20

Heavy Weighted wide grip dip partials/static hold like a DC stretch.

Do u think I should use the 2-4 range for legs too? Given the same problem of unwanted hypertrophy??
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.23%

Zir's recommendations are spot on, but I would periodically add in some deep box squats as well. My adductors and glutes responded very well to these.

When I finish a leg day or after deadlifting, I usually throw in some of these as well as a finisher. A few sets of 6-12 reps, depending on the preceding workout. They're nice for really feeling the glute contract and squeeze.

Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.19%

Jason I disnt know u taught at coastal! I went there in 06 my freshman year. I was about 100pounds and anorexic and worked out like a fiend . :/ lol

Great read honestly. I am a writer by degree lol and I hate reading. so i appreciate when a piece can keep me engaged and entertained, all while informing me, too.

I will tweak my workouts to involve some single leg stuff which I do on occasion. I actually love single leg glute bridges as rfe split squats, barbell hip thrusts I've done but can't seem to figure out how to do them as heavy as u show in the video without a spotter to place and remove the weight.

Would you recommend tho for me to utilize that lower rep system as u mentioned for the chest? My butt looks like the guy who DOES SQUAT. Bc my outer glutes and hips are wide but the "inner butt" is flat
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

That's a LOT of 5x5 for a single leg day, if that's how you planned it. I might do 1-2 exercises as 5x5 and then all your ancillary in the 8-12 rep range. Toss in some non-machine based leg curls in place of machine leg curls. Got a few examples on my youtube channel.

For the glute exercises, I would suggest moderate (8-10) for the unilateral moves and you can go as low as 4-5 on the bilateral moves.

I just started teaching at Coastal. My sister graduated from here in '12 with an exercise science degree. I'm happy to be out of the cold CT winters!
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.19%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    That's a LOT of 5x5 for a single leg day, if that's how you planned it. I might do 1-2 exercises as 5x5 and then all your ancillary in the 8-12 rep range. Toss in some non-machine based leg curls in place of machine leg curls. Got a few examples on my youtube channel.

For the glute exercises, I would suggest moderate (8-10) for the unilateral moves and you can go as low as 4-5 on the bilateral moves.

I just started teaching at Coastal. My sister graduated from here in '12 with an exercise science degree. I'm happy to be out of the cold CT winters!
    Thanks man. Well congrats on that, and to her. I liked it there but I do love fall and winter

It was what I planned , I saw it in a bev fitness magazine

Similar Forum Threads

1. Red hot lump on glute HELP
    By Flav24 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 05:06 AM
  2. Need Help with Glutes Training.
    By novah in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 01:52 PM
  3. Help Pain Glute
    By Ramo machine in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4