Patellar Tendonitis Caused by Vastus Lateralis Dominance

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
So to make a long story short, I've had Patellar Tendonitis for the past 8 years. Originally, I was told that the Tendonitis was due to excessive strain on the tendon at a young age due to year-round basketball. Perhaps this was the cause at the time, however, I recently had my knees checked and was told that the Tendonitis was actually due to the dominance of my Vastus Lateralis muscle over my Vastus Medialis muscle, causing the tendon to track over the knee cap laterally. The doctor recommended that I completely allow the Vastus Lateralis to diminish, meaning that I no longer work my quadriceps as a group anymore. I was also told to work on isolating the Vastus Medialis with certain exercises. I have been doing 1/4th movements with squats and leg presses, along with weighted step-downs and some adductor work as well. I am wondering if anyone has been in or is currently in a similar situation and could offer any advice? I would also greatly appreciate any exercise recommendations or any other information as well. Thanks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up "runners knee" and you should get some useful hints as well.

Are you doing anything for the hip abductors and medial hamstrings?
Do you have anterior pelvic tilt or tight hip flexors? (this often goes with the PT)
Some agrressive foam rolling of the vastus lateralis, adductors, and lateral hamstring may also help.

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
I have not had the same exact condition or cause but..My bunny had tendonitis as diagnosed by his veterinarian which was cured with research of GHRP-2 & CJC-1295 w/o dac for 6 months..symptom relief seemed to come at about month 2.5 to 3.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Look up "runners knee" and you should get some useful hints as well.

Are you doing anything for the hip abductors and medial hamstrings?
Do you have anterior pelvic tilt or tight hip flexors? (this often goes with the PT)
Some agrressive foam rolling of the vastus lateralis, adductors, and lateral hamstring may also help.
I was told to not to do any exercises for the hip abductors. I'm not sure if that was good advice or not. I've still been training my hamstrings as a group with good mornings, deadlifts, and leg curls. Also, I was born with a curvature in my hip bones that has led to tight hip flexors and some problems with my hip flexors at times. I haven't really directly worked my hip flexors in a while but I do stretch them everyday.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had Patellar tendonitis to the point that I almost had to have wire insertion surgery to prevent complete ruptures from the damage I had caused in college with jump training,and playing high level volleyball 6 days a week for over a decade. The only thing that saved me from sugery was strengthening the crap out of my hamstrings. RDL's, machine hamstring curls, Russian hamstring curls, cable hamstring curls, you name it, if it hit my hamstrings hard, I did it. My knees still ache alot (I've come to terms with the fact that they will never officially be 100% ever again) but my pain has greatly improved due to fixing my quad vs. hamstring strength ratio. It's also lead to splitting my leg days - quads and calves Day 1- , -hamstrings and calves Day 4-, respectively in my training splits. My hamstrings remain very strong, I can play ball almost at the same level as I did in college, and my squat, deadlift, and calves have seen some great growth. Hope this helps.