Contraction generated force

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
This might be a little obscure to post on here but I am curious about the physics side of weight training. My question is about the force generated by what I'm assuming is the mass of the muscles under contraction and the acceleration of these contractions. For example, when bench pressing 225lbs, the force acting downwards is roughly 1000N (ma), so in order to move the weight in the vertical direction (assuming ideal conditions.. No air resistance and a 90 degree movement) would the force pushing on the barbell upwards be the mass of the contracting muscles and the acceleration of the contraction? Obviously the force would need to be over 1000N for the barbell to move upward but I'm just curious as to how this force is generated. Hopefully someone with a physics background can help out. Thanks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks it looks like a good read. Ill definitely spend some time to check it out
Sure, and if you have any questions feel free to let me know. There were about 5 classes of lecturing accompanying the slides.