Shoulder loss of strength!

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Last winter I fell on some ice and messed up my left rotatory cuff. About two weeks ago it was 99% better with no pain and no restrictions in lifts.

I took last week off the gym as I was on vacation and didn't lift for a week. I got back to the gym today and did a warm up set of dumbbell press with 40s. I thought I pressed the weight up with no problems not realizing that my left dumbbell was way behind and the right was fully extended. I was struggling to press the weight up using my left arm, but there was no pain. I tried some hammer curls, and could barely curl the weight, same with a standing barbell curl. Finally I tried a lateral raise, and I noticed a bulge on the top of my left front delt, and it was pretty obvious.

So what do you think guys, scar tissue, slept on it wrong, or serious issue?

Sorry for the long post, appreciate the help.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just a quick question since it is not real clear to me...
Did this just start this last week and you had not noticed any difference up until a week or so ago, or has it been a problem since you fell last year?

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Just a quick question since it is not real clear to me...
Did this just start this last week and you had not noticed any difference up until a week or so ago, or has it been a problem since you fell last year?
Just started last week and still a problem. When I fell I had pain in my shoulder when pressing, but was 99% healed before I went away on vacation. Still no pain, but left arm is very weak when pressing and curling. If I stabilize my arm and curl with a preacher bench as an example, I don't have an issue.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It sounds like an impingement issue. Raise your arm laterally and to the front and have someone press down on it. If there is a major difference in ability to resist between the two then there's a good chance that is the issue. Which specific RC muscle it is? You should probably go see a sport doc.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I had an issue a few years back where there was much pain in my upper back and especially in my lft scapula, radiating down into my left arm/tricep elbow into my hand and causing tingling in my ring and pinkie fingers. When I would sneeze, the pain was so intense, it felt like my arm was going to fall off. The weakness in my left tricep was extreme, to where it was like a difference of say #30 pounds each side. The BP would drag so bad on the left side, it wasn't funny. It went away after a few weeks as fast as it came on. Who knows!?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I had an issue a few years back where there was much pain in my upper back and especially in my lft scapula, radiating down into my left arm/tricep elbow into my hand and causing tingling in my ring and pinkie fingers. When I would sneeze, the pain was so intense, it felt like my arm was going to fall off. The weakness in my left tricep was extreme, to where it was like a difference of say #30 pounds each side. The BP would drag so bad on the left side, it wasn't funny. It went away after a few weeks as fast as it came on. Who knows!?
I had similar. No pain, but random tingling in the fingers and down the arm. During a dumbbell press my right arm just...got all wobbly with a loss of power! It also went away after a few weeks. I'm pretty sure it was an impingement somewhere at the brachial plexus.

To the OP, diagnosis and then work to remedy any muscular and postural balances, and you'll greatly reduce the risk this happens again.