Squat form check

1. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Squat form check

Here's me squatting around 70-75% of my max. Looking to really nail my form before progressing though. Thoughts/critiques? Do your worst.

http://youtu.be/xx7tU0kJi8E

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Looks solid bubba. Try not to crane your neck back so hard though. Just keep your head level.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  3. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Looks solid bubba. Try not to crane your neck back so hard though. Just keep your head level.
    Thanks man. Didn't even realize I did that haha. Anyone else wanna chime in?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Looks good from that angle, man. I def agree with AZ on the head. It can cause you to over extend. You should be able to keep that chest up without crankin your head back. Watch out with the grip. Mine is like that too. I have to think to grip over the bar a bit more instead of broken back. For me, when getting close to maximal weight, the wrist broke back can send some pain down into my elbows. From what I can see, your hips looked great. Disclaimer: I'm no expert.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

With others on that vid and looked deep and strong out of hole from that angle too kiddo.
    Important thing is, that if you are using heavier loads & reps ie: 80%+ that your from is still pretty dang close to that on your struggle reps.
  6. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    With others on that vid and looked deep and strong out of hole from that angle too kiddo.
    Important thing is, that if you are using heavier loads & reps ie: 80%+ that your from is still pretty dang close to that on your struggle reps.
    Haha that's kinda my issue right now. As the load goes up, my form suffers a bit. But I'm continually improving
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Well, I know most peoples max form is most likely a looser form than warmups.
    The thing for trainees to remember is, to be able to dial it in if you have to and don't get so far outside the ego house that they do crap that has them laid up for 5 weeks.
    And this is not high horse talk, it is from experience, when I should have known better. Don't make my mistakes if you can help it.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Well looks like your covered man lol, keep up the good work!
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  9. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks everyone. Might post up a bench and dead vid soon
  10. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Here's another squat vid. Gym was super busy when I did dead and bench so ill get those vids eventually. Here's me squatting around what I would assume to be 85-90% of my max. Haven't tested 1RM in awhile because I've been working on my form. Believe me, a year ago it was UGLY. I wish I had vids to show.

I have mixed feeling about this squat. I tried with all my might to sit back but it's not quite where I want it.

I'm looking for opinions on the breakdown of my form from around 70 to 90% of my max (see above vid as well). The change in depth was intentional btw. I know form breakdown isn't ideal but would you say I'm at least headed in the right direction? Thanks guys.

http://youtu.be/Jlc9SdlzRts
  11. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

^ hahaha just saw this. Also note the horrendous smith machine squats in the background. I lift at a YMCA....this is what I deal with on a daily basis.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    ^ hahaha just saw this. Also note the horrendous smith machine squats in the background. I lift at a YMCA....this is what I deal with on a daily basis.
    haha thats first thing i noticed. i was about to comment on that
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Personally, your form looks better (and for lack of a better word) more cautious and slower than mine ever did. You look like you are kinda tall. Like me, more built for pulling probably. Does not mean that you cannot excel in squatting. I mean Brad Gillingham does great.
    Ie: You may have to drive up harder or a bit faster when doing some work sets!?
    My guess is over time, you will develop a groove/niche of where you can be with it (maybe not so super strict!? & others may have some input) and be strong and hold form, while sticking the tough reps time and time again.
    Some guys say to drive the head back while coming up, while others, like Rippetoe almost looks down and out towards the floor, driving more with hips. I am probably in between both worlds most of the time.

The best advice I ever got was Coan's remarks and thinking and seeing myself, dropping the torso between the legs, like a goblet squat and not folding myself like a Z.
    You look ahead of the game bud.
  14. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Personally, your form looks better (and for lack of a better word) more cautious and slower than mine ever did. You look like you are kinda tall. Like me, more built for pulling probably. Does not mean that you cannot excel in squatting. I mean Brad Gillingham does great.
    Ie: You may have to drive up harder or a bit faster when doing some work sets!?
    My guess is over time, you will develop a groove/niche of where you can be with it (maybe not so super strict!? & others may have some input) and be strong and hold form, while sticking the tough reps time and time again.
    Some guys say to drive the head back while coming up, while others, like Rippetoe almost looks down and out towards the floor, driving more with hips. I am probably in between both worlds most of the time.

The best advice I ever got was Coan's remarks and thinking and seeing myself, dropping the torso between the legs, like a goblet squat and not folding myself like a Z.
    You look ahead of the game bud.
    Appreciate the insight. I'm not terribly tall only like 6ft even on a good day but I do have long legs and arms. Squatting has become an art for me haha. Love trying to work on the details. Maximal strength will come with time and proper programming
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Nice saying dude. Thanks.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Explode out of the hole...
  17. Registered User
    Stats