Never bent my knees until recently. Help?

PhazzedOut

Awards
To expand on my cry for help. I spent all my life never really bending my knees. I would use my lower back for everything and luckily I haven't damaged it.

My knees on the other hand is a different story. Been lifting seriously for 3 years now and everything is going great except for leg day. I always feel my knees are trying to pop out of my socket when I do anything.

Any suggestions?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's a good chance
You are not lifting correctly (knee tracking, heel contact, etc.)
Your VMO is under developed
Your hamstrings and glutes are weak
You have some serious internal rotation and anterior pelvic tilt

PhazzedOut

Awards
I already made an appointment for the doc since I felt this wasn't right.

But I do feel my glutes and hams are underdeveloped. When I started off I had that "Hank Hill" butt. Any recommendations for an isolated workout?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What all exercises do you do for the legs, hips BTW?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As Zir Red pointed out and without seeing a squat form vid, it would be hard to evaluate whether or not you are doing more harm than good on the knees at his point?

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
I already made an appointment for the doc since I felt this wasn't right.

But I do feel my glutes and hams are underdeveloped. When I started off I had that "Hank Hill" butt. Any recommendations for an isolated workout?
Love that episode.
Listen to Zir he's helped me with alot.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good some of the work of "Bret Contreras" you could even throw in the search "Glutes" and "Glute guy". He has some really good, really easy to understand stuff.

If squats hurt, have you tried unilateral things. I would suggest focusing on work that will require more hip and knee stabilization, such as split squats, bulgarin split squats, single leg deadlifts, lunges, reverse lunges, traveling lunges, etc. Stay away from most machines, including the hamstring curl. Do your hamstring curls on a swiss ball.

PhazzedOut

Awards
Imma try those workouts this week. How about lunges?