Machines vs free weights

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.98%

Machines vs free weights

I pretty much know the differences between the two but my question is,has anybody on here made pretty good size gains off of just machines and if so,do you have to take a different approach in your routine (sets,reps,frequency,etc) than you would if it were an all free weights routine??

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.04%

Machines are a scam perpetrated by corporations that force commercial gyms to buy a different 2 thousand dollar machine for every individual muscle when all they really need is a 300 dollar texas power bar and some weights.

With that being said there are some pieces of "equipment" out there that make working certain muscle groups a certain way possible when it would otherwise be near impossible like the GHR and reverse hyper. As far as nautalis machines and similar versions go they will do little to nothing for development as they often put the body in unfamiliar and sometimes detrimental positions.

The body is a complete system and it should be used and trained accordingly.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Free weights bar none...the body is naturally moving and using all it's abilities this way.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You can add strength and mass to the body with machines no doubt, since any real resistance against a muscle will cause an adaptation if enough resistance is used.
    The only thing that I think is a draw back is, most machines have you sit or lay and don't load the spine and or the core with good heavy weight. IMO you should do a good bit of work standing, but that is just me. But like the others, I am very free weight biased.
    Some of the dictated pathways are restricting too, (especially if you are pushing heavy loads) and do not allow natural body joint movement.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by PROness View Post
    Machines are a scam perpetrated by corporations that force commercial gyms to buy a different 2 thousand dollar machine for every individual muscle when all they really need is a 300 dollar texas power bar and some weights.

With that being said there are some pieces of "equipment" out there that make working certain muscle groups a certain way possible when it would otherwise be near impossible like the GHR and reverse hyper. As far as nautalis machines and similar versions go they will do little to nothing for development as they often put the body in unfamiliar and sometimes detrimental positions.

The body is a complete system and it should be used and trained accordingly.
    Free weights are better, no doubt. But some machines do have their place....some of the nautilus machines are pretty good, like the pullover machine., some of the others suck.
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.01%

Machines appaer to be handy for seated rows and pull downs.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    Machines appaer to be handy for seated rows and pull downs.
    I count pulldowns and cable stations as semi machines.....
    Olympus labs Rep
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.83%

I use machines sometimes at the end of my workouts to provide some stability and "finish" a muscle group. This allows me to isolate a particular muscle group. There is probably a different answer for each person. A lot of psychology at work here.

About three weeks about I ended my dumbbell press sets and through I was grabbing 75 lb. dumbbells. Someone had put the 85 pound dumbbells in the wrong spot (don't give me a hard time about my weight lifted). I noticed they were "heavy" but thought I was just tired. I did a set of 8. AFTER the set I realized what had happened. I tried another set and guess what. I could not even get them up.

My point is that mental psychology plays an important role (at least for me) in the effectiveness of a particular free weight or machine exercise. A good mix works well for me.

Respectfully submitted.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.67%

Quote Originally Posted by pappybay View Post
    I use machines sometimes at the end of my workouts to provide some stability and "finish" a muscle group. This allows me to isolate a particular muscle group. There is probably a different answer for each person. A lot of psychology at work here.

About three weeks about I ended my dumbbell press sets and through I was grabbing 75 lb. dumbbells. Someone had put the 85 pound dumbbells in the wrong spot (don't give me a hard time about my weight lifted). I noticed they were "heavy" but thought I was just tired. I did a set of 8. AFTER the set I realized what had happened. I tried another set and guess what. I could not even get them up.

My point is that mental psychology plays an important role (at least for me) in the effectiveness of a particular free weight or machine exercise. A good mix works well for me.

Respectfully submitted.
    I agree....machines have their place, especially later in the work out.
    Olympus labs Rep
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.06%

Machines are also a good alternative to focus on lagging muscles.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  11. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

If you count the hammer strength plate loaded setups as machines, then there isn't much you couldn't do with them.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.33%

Machines are great and serve their purpose. Its take stress off my lower back for rowing, pulldowns are easier on my forearms and knees feel better for squatting.

Im too young to be feeling so old
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  13. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    If you count the hammer strength plate loaded setups as machines, then there isn't much you couldn't do with them.
    As an engineer I enjoy the hammer stength designs.

My splits are in full body rotations of barbell, dumbbell and machines. Each is effective in their own way. Some are great compound work, some recruit more secondary stabilizers and some are great for isolation and muscle specific targeting.

Personally when I want to work my pectoral (or muscle of choice) muscles I am not so much concerned with incorporating my core or any other ancillary muscle groups - hammer strength machines are perfect.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I switch between the two quite often but wouldn't use strictly machines forever. Both have their place though.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR
    Visist our website at www.FINAFLEX.com

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.83%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    These are awesome machines. I got to use some when I was traveling (used another gym). Same concept as the ISO machines. Very nice.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.67%

Hammer and nautilus come from the same line....sort of.......hammer was developed by the son of the nautilus creator.

Hammer strenght rules!!!
    Olympus labs Rep
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.25%

I feel your pain. I feel way older than I am

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Machines are great and serve their purpose. Its take stress off my lower back for rowing, pulldowns are easier on my forearms and knees feel better for squatting.

Im too young to be feeling so old
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
    I feel your pain. I feel way older than I am
    Try integrating some change of thinking.
    The oldest people (ie: 80's 90's) who are still running around like kids, have a active kid type outlook, whether they are gardening or playing shuffle board.

It reminds me of the Stephen Wright line.
    I remember when I turned 2. I had thought, in a year, my age had doubled....! If this keeps up, by the time I am 6, I'll be 90. Ha ha ha
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.33%

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Try integrating some change of thinking.
    The oldest people (ie: 80's 90's) who are still running around like kids, have a active kid type outlook, whether they are gardening or playing shuffle board.

I remember when I turned 2. I had thought, in a year, my age had doubled....! If this keeps up, by the time I am 6, I'll be 90. Ha ha ha
    Kid type outlook: when im 80 i need to drink my juice and watch blue clues, poop my pants and then jog for 10 miles
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Ha ha,
    -So how did you sleep?
    -I slept like a baby!
    - Oh yeah!?
    -Yeah, up every 2 hours crying and with a load in my pants...!
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.25%

Thanks for the tip I will definitely use this.

QUOTE=PaulBlack;4084597]Try integrating some change of thinking.

I remember when I turned 2. I had thought, in a year, my age had doubled....! If this keeps up, by the time I am 6, I'll be 90. Ha ha ha[/QUOTE]
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.67%

There are really nice and most interesting post. I have read all and really enjoy this. I have sleep like a man just be straight on back. Anyway i would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.83%

Guys, I am gong to fight it every step of the way. Age will win, but I am going to give it one hell of a run!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. machine vs free weight
    By Darkridder in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
  2. Machine VS free Weight
    By arsenal121290 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
  3. Free Weight Arm Curl vs Arm Curl with Pulley
    By ich1ban in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4