Machines vs free weights - AnabolicMinds.com

Machines vs free weights

  1. New Member
    dbrodrive1211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    38

    Reputation

    Machines vs free weights


    I pretty much know the differences between the two but my question is,has anybody on here made pretty good size gains off of just machines and if so,do you have to take a different approach in your routine (sets,reps,frequency,etc) than you would if it were an all free weights routine??

  2. New Member
    PROness's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    1914

    Reputation

    Machines are a scam perpetrated by corporations that force commercial gyms to buy a different 2 thousand dollar machine for every individual muscle when all they really need is a 300 dollar texas power bar and some weights.

    With that being said there are some pieces of "equipment" out there that make working certain muscle groups a certain way possible when it would otherwise be near impossible like the GHR and reverse hyper. As far as nautalis machines and similar versions go they will do little to nothing for development as they often put the body in unfamiliar and sometimes detrimental positions.

    The body is a complete system and it should be used and trained accordingly.
  3. Diamond Member
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,704
    Rep Power
    4686928

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Free weights bar none...the body is naturally moving and using all it's abilities this way.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115625

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    You can add strength and mass to the body with machines no doubt, since any real resistance against a muscle will cause an adaptation if enough resistance is used.
    The only thing that I think is a draw back is, most machines have you sit or lay and don't load the spine and or the core with good heavy weight. IMO you should do a good bit of work standing, but that is just me. But like the others, I am very free weight biased.
    Some of the dictated pathways are restricting too, (especially if you are pushing heavy loads) and do not allow natural body joint movement.
  5. Elite Member
    edje007's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,102
    Rep Power
    2005320

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by PROness View Post
    Machines are a scam perpetrated by corporations that force commercial gyms to buy a different 2 thousand dollar machine for every individual muscle when all they really need is a 300 dollar texas power bar and some weights.

    With that being said there are some pieces of "equipment" out there that make working certain muscle groups a certain way possible when it would otherwise be near impossible like the GHR and reverse hyper. As far as nautalis machines and similar versions go they will do little to nothing for development as they often put the body in unfamiliar and sometimes detrimental positions.

    The body is a complete system and it should be used and trained accordingly.
    Free weights are better, no doubt. But some machines do have their place....some of the nautilus machines are pretty good, like the pullover machine., some of the others suck.
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  6. New Member
    UCSMiami's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Age
    50
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    2092

    Reputation

    Machines appaer to be handy for seated rows and pull downs.
  7. Elite Member
    edje007's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,102
    Rep Power
    2005320

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    Machines appaer to be handy for seated rows and pull downs.
    I count pulldowns and cable stations as semi machines.....
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  8. New Member
    pappybay's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    6001

    Reputation

    I use machines sometimes at the end of my workouts to provide some stability and "finish" a muscle group. This allows me to isolate a particular muscle group. There is probably a different answer for each person. A lot of psychology at work here.

    About three weeks about I ended my dumbbell press sets and through I was grabbing 75 lb. dumbbells. Someone had put the 85 pound dumbbells in the wrong spot (don't give me a hard time about my weight lifted). I noticed they were "heavy" but thought I was just tired. I did a set of 8. AFTER the set I realized what had happened. I tried another set and guess what. I could not even get them up.

    My point is that mental psychology plays an important role (at least for me) in the effectiveness of a particular free weight or machine exercise. A good mix works well for me.

    Respectfully submitted.
  9. Elite Member
    edje007's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,102
    Rep Power
    2005320

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pappybay View Post
    I use machines sometimes at the end of my workouts to provide some stability and "finish" a muscle group. This allows me to isolate a particular muscle group. There is probably a different answer for each person. A lot of psychology at work here.

    About three weeks about I ended my dumbbell press sets and through I was grabbing 75 lb. dumbbells. Someone had put the 85 pound dumbbells in the wrong spot (don't give me a hard time about my weight lifted). I noticed they were "heavy" but thought I was just tired. I did a set of 8. AFTER the set I realized what had happened. I tried another set and guess what. I could not even get them up.

    My point is that mental psychology plays an important role (at least for me) in the effectiveness of a particular free weight or machine exercise. A good mix works well for me.

    Respectfully submitted.
    I agree....machines have their place, especially later in the work out.
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  10. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33853

    Reputation

    Machines are also a good alternative to focus on lagging muscles.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If you count the hammer strength plate loaded setups as machines, then there isn't much you couldn't do with them.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  12. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,438
    Rep Power
    2612247

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Machines are great and serve their purpose. Its take stress off my lower back for rowing, pulldowns are easier on my forearms and knees feel better for squatting.


    Im too young to be feeling so old
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  13. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    If you count the hammer strength plate loaded setups as machines, then there isn't much you couldn't do with them.
    As an engineer I enjoy the hammer stength designs.

    My splits are in full body rotations of barbell, dumbbell and machines. Each is effective in their own way. Some are great compound work, some recruit more secondary stabilizers and some are great for isolation and muscle specific targeting.

    Personally when I want to work my pectoral (or muscle of choice) muscles I am not so much concerned with incorporating my core or any other ancillary muscle groups - hammer strength machines are perfect.
  14. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,540
    Rep Power
    7316257

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I switch between the two quite often but wouldn't use strictly machines forever. Both have their place though.

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  15. New Member
    pappybay's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    6001

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    If you count the hammer strength plate loaded setups as machines, then there isn't much you couldn't do with them.
    These are awesome machines. I got to use some when I was traveling (used another gym). Same concept as the ISO machines. Very nice.
  16. Elite Member
    edje007's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,102
    Rep Power
    2005320

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Hammer and nautilus come from the same line....sort of.......hammer was developed by the son of the nautilus creator.

    Hammer strenght rules!!!
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  17. Dyl
    Dyl is offline
    New Member
    Dyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    25

    Reputation

    I feel your pain. I feel way older than I am

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Machines are great and serve their purpose. Its take stress off my lower back for rowing, pulldowns are easier on my forearms and knees feel better for squatting.


    Im too young to be feeling so old
  18. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115625

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
    I feel your pain. I feel way older than I am
    Try integrating some change of thinking.
    The oldest people (ie: 80's 90's) who are still running around like kids, have a active kid type outlook, whether they are gardening or playing shuffle board.

    It reminds me of the Stephen Wright line.
    I remember when I turned 2. I had thought, in a year, my age had doubled....! If this keeps up, by the time I am 6, I'll be 90. Ha ha ha
  19. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,438
    Rep Power
    2612247

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Try integrating some change of thinking.
    The oldest people (ie: 80's 90's) who are still running around like kids, have a active kid type outlook, whether they are gardening or playing shuffle board.

    It reminds me of the Stephen Wright line.
    I remember when I turned 2. I had thought, in a year, my age had doubled....! If this keeps up, by the time I am 6, I'll be 90. Ha ha ha
    Kid type outlook: when im 80 i need to drink my juice and watch blue clues, poop my pants and then jog for 10 miles
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  20. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115625

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Ha ha,
    -So how did you sleep?
    -I slept like a baby!
    - Oh yeah!?
    -Yeah, up every 2 hours crying and with a load in my pants...!
  21. Dyl
    Dyl is offline
    New Member
    Dyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    25

    Reputation

    Thanks for the tip I will definitely use this.

    QUOTE=PaulBlack;4084597]Try integrating some change of thinking.
    The oldest people (ie: 80's 90's) who are still running around like kids, have a active kid type outlook, whether they are gardening or playing shuffle board.

    It reminds me of the Stephen Wright line.
    I remember when I turned 2. I had thought, in a year, my age had doubled....! If this keeps up, by the time I am 6, I'll be 90. Ha ha ha[/QUOTE]
  22. New Member
    Abner's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    25

    Reputation

    There are really nice and most interesting post. I have read all and really enjoy this. I have sleep like a man just be straight on back. Anyway i would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us.
  23. New Member
    pappybay's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    6001

    Reputation

    Guys, I am gong to fight it every step of the way. Age will win, but I am going to give it one hell of a run!!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. machine vs free weight
    By Darkridder in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 03:56 PM
  2. Machine VS free Weight
    By arsenal121290 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
  3. Free Weight Arm Curl vs Arm Curl with Pulley
    By ich1ban in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
  4. Difference In Smith & Free Weights
    By candle25 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
  5. Bodybuilding vs. Lifting Weights
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in