help me with my back please!!!

D

drew18

Awards
I do back workouts just as much as any other part of my body but i am not seeing the results i want. I do a bunch of pull ups and excercises like and the basic rows and stuff like that. But i feel like im not burning any back fat. If you know a program for burning and toning the back please help me out

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do back workouts just as much as any other part of my body but i am not seeing the results i want. I do a bunch of pull ups and excercises like and the basic rows and stuff like that. But i feel like im not burning any back fat. If you know a program for burning and toning the back please help me out
Check out John meadows MD training. I have a log going currently if your interested in it.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Md stands for mountain dog btw

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, you can't really spot reduce areas. If you want to lose back fat you most likely have to lose or will lose fat over entire body. As you lose the excess, you will see the muscles underneath, and even though you may weigh less and be somewhat smaller, you will have more definition and appear bigger...!!!
Most likely, the best thing to do, would be to work your entire body over the week with the big compound exercises and watch and or clean up the diet if you want to lose. As the weeks and months go by, your entire body will transform, burning cals and adding some lean mass.
Lastly, it takes years to build a big strong back and heavy weight with medium reps works pretty good. I find BB and or low cable rows to be better than most stuff, but I do weighted chins, chin ladders and pull downs very regularly. Deadlifts also build a big thick back and traps.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Firstly, don't use words like tone. A muscle gets bigger or smaller. You accumulate or lose fat. Secondly, continue to train your back with horizontal rows (chest supported rows, db rows, bb rows, inverted rows, etc.), vertical pulling (pull ups, pull downs), and then incorporate upper trap work (shrugs and the likes) as well as extra mid/lower trap work (facepulls, YTWs). For balance and shoulder health, I'd suggest more horizontal pulling because the lats are internal rotators and won't help much for balancing the shoulder girdle and i'd also suggest a heavy dose of mid/lower trap (scap retractors in general)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Outside of the obvious, and what has been mentioned above, make sure you're practicing good technique on your rows and other back movements. Too much heaving or standing too vertical, and you're going to be targetting your upper traps, not the rest of your back musculature. Also, make sure your scapula are retracted or are in the process of retracting when you do any back movements (pullups, rows). If you dont, then it's possible you're using too much arm and too little back.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
To build upon what Toro said, I get the best lat activation when I depress (pull down) and then retract (squeeze together) my scapulae before doing any kind of row. Basically I'll get into position then imagine that I'm squeezing a marble between my shoulder blades. Between that and pulling with the elbows I get a great contraction.

And try to keep your arms out of it as best you can. Your biceps will do an awful lot of work if you don't try and keep them out of the movement.

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
I like to use a strap with seated rows. Put your hands through straps and wrap around wrists, that way you dont have to grip the straps. Your hands are just hooks. Look up Dorian Yates back work. Great read.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like to use a strap with seated rows. Put your hands through straps and wrap around wrists, that way you dont have to grip the straps. Your hands are just hooks. Look up Dorian Yates back work. Great read.
A little tip for when weights get pretty heavy: The straps should be more around the base of the hands and not really around the wrists. That way the pressure is on the back of the hand and not the joint itself.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
10 posts and no mention of deadlifts? C'mon man.

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
A little tip for when weights get pretty heavy: The straps should be more around the base of the hands and not really around the wrists. That way the pressure is on the back of the hand and not the joint itself.
Thats what i meant. Around the wrist between the actual joint and base of the hand, and i guide it with my index and middle fingers. Easier to show than to explain. I think we mean the same thing tho.