Thoughts on Leg Extensions

  1. New Member
    Ballesteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    1769577
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    5.12%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Thoughts on Leg Extensions



  2. New Member
    Ballesteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    1769577
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    5.12%
    Achievements Activity Pro

  3. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,439
    Rep Power
    1255131
    Level
    61
    Lv. Percent
    39.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    i think they have their place...they aren't the type of movement to base your workout around but can be effective for what they are

    some ppl do them at the beginning of the exercise to pre exhaust....i like doing my big movements first and using the extension almost as a finisher...it's a nice movement to pause at the top for the squeeze and get the big pump and stretch to really top off the leg workout

    if you can find it and i wish i could help but ben pakulski has a video explaining how he does leg extensions, he doesn't lean back against the back pad and pretty much sits upright with his chest out....ever since i've done it this way i feel it's a lot harder to just load weight and sitting forward i find it difficult to ever cheat (to many ppl go too heavy and don't pause but also grab on so the leg extension doesn't pull them upwards)
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    6406
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    55.47%

    There was a recent thread on here about the detriments of both leg curls and.extensions. I'd give that a read
  5. New Member
    Ballesteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    1769577
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    5.12%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    There was a recent thread on here about the detriments of both leg curls and.extensions. I'd give that a read
    I'm aware of detriments from reading this & countless other material relating to the protection of the knee, but thank you for chiming in. My motive in starting the thread was really to chase the rabbit in new directions for building leg muscle in ways that only strengthen the knee. There is nothing new under the sun but that does not mean things yet to come to the mind of man are not there.
  6. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,511
    Rep Power
    4398091
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    18.28%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i think they have their place...they aren't the type of movement to base your workout around but can be effective for what they are

    some ppl do them at the beginning of the exercise to pre exhaust....i like doing my big movements first and using the extension almost as a finisher...it's a nice movement to pause at the top for the squeeze and get the big pump and stretch to really top off the leg workout

    if you can find it and i wish i could help but ben pakulski has a video explaining how he does leg extensions, he doesn't lean back against the back pad and pretty much sits upright with his chest out....ever since i've done it this way i feel it's a lot harder to just load weight and sitting forward i find it difficult to ever cheat (to many ppl go too heavy and don't pause but also grab on so the leg extension doesn't pull them upwards)
    This is how I view them. Whilst I know the detriments of leg curls and extensions, I still place leg ext. in my routine as a finisher and go for a full, slow motion movement with a pause at the top.
  7. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297850
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    If you are going to do them make sure:

    1. You are finishing the ROM, and not doing 1/2 extensions. The VMO is responsible for the final 20 degrees of extension, and this muscle is crucial in knee stabilization (and often underdeveloped in many athletes/trainees).

    2. Do them in a unilateral fashion. You can do 12 reps on one leg and then 12 on the other, or you can go back and forth between legs (like you would with dumbbell curls).
  8. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    If you are going to do them make sure:

    1. You are finishing the ROM, and not doing 1/2 extensions. The VMO is responsible for the final 20 degrees of extension, and this muscle is crucial in knee stabilization (and often underdeveloped in many athletes/trainees).

    2. Do them in a unilateral fashion. You can do 12 reps on one leg and then 12 on the other, or you can go back and forth between legs (like you would with dumbbell curls).
    How do you feel about standing leg extensions, so that you're not pinching that hip joint while seated
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. share your thoughts on leg growth
    By superbeast668 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 12:16 PM
  2. D-day on legs
    By TheCSWFighter in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:42 PM
  3. thoughts on SU usage at 7 weeks out/9% bf
    By PecSicle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 02:45 AM
  4. Leg extensions
    By Beta BBer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:33 AM
  5. Your thoughts on the Colorado Experiment
    By ex_banana-eater in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in