fasted cardio bad?

1. Registered User
    Answers

fasted cardio bad?

I have seen many people say that they do IF and cardio. What I am wondering is if that is bad for muscle growth/ maintaining muscle. And how effective it really is at burning fat. Expecially if you are already on a low carb diet. Since if your body is on a low carb diet and lifting your body will use that glucose to fuel your muscles. So there will already be a low amount of glucose in ones blood stream. And if the body has too low of blood glucose levels the pancreas will make glycagon to increase blood glucose levels and it will do it by breaking down glycogen. So my question is... would IF and cardio be detrimental to muscle if on low carb diet? Hope I didn't sound like a jack ass right there. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

2. Registered User
    Answers

1) there's not as much benefit doing it fasted if you're already on a low carb diet

2) intensity is the key factor. LISS in a fasted state is fine as your body will use primarily fat as fuel; anything moderate to high intensity, some protein or BCAAs beforehand would be a wise idea.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  171 lbs.
    Answers

I personally started doing a low carb diet approx 2 months ago, going from 250g/day to 140g/day. The 1st month I did JUST the low carb diet and saw some fat loss. Then I started fasted cardio in the AM the 2nd month. I noticed a dramatic increase in fat burning when I started the 2nd month, while maintaining my strength and judging by the mirror, size as well. I do take BCAAs after as well. Hope this helps!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

If your cutting carbs and doing IF your obviously trying to cut which you will most likely lose some muscle during a cut anyway weather fasted cardio or not.

Bcaas will help preserve the muscle you have.

I myself have not done IF, and correct me if im wrong but i understand The idea of cardio fasted is you are already in a fasted state where your body is using the fat for energy so you are burning fat during that fasted state, so to add the cardio in to that fasted state you will again burn more fat.

Then you eat your target calories in you eating window weather.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Answers

As posted it would depend on intensity. Low intensity would help where high intensity would actually be more detrimental.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Answers

My best answer is....what ever works for you is best. If you diet 12 to 16 weeks you shouldn't be at much of a muscle loss. Refeeds also prevent or help this.muscle memory does the rest. Cut,then maintain and get your size back.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

PES have a good article on their website about this.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

i used to major in the minors. then i stopped after working out with guys much stronger than me and they just pushed harder. whether it was lifting, eating, or recovering, they did it harder than anyone else.

this included me switching to a lean gains type diet where i eat between noon and 8. on sundays i join the guys for a 3-4 hour strongman training session that starts at 10am. so ya, i havent eaten in 14 hours and wont eat for at least 4 if not 5 hours more. that makes upwards of 18 hours without food. doesnt kill. i keep getting stronger. and the more fat i have in my diet the better i train those days even while waiting that long without food.

the human body is an amazing machine that can adapt and deal with adversity quite well. if we were to believe all the the broscience on exercise it really appears that the human body is a giant Pu$$Y. and it makes you wonder how we have survived as a species.

the science is cool and great and stuff. but dont get so caught up in the details that you forget that training harder, eating harder, and recovering harder will get you further then most anything.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  171 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i used to major in the minors. then i stopped after working out with guys much stronger than me and they just pushed harder. whether it was lifting, eating, or recovering, they did it harder than anyone else.

this included me switching to a lean gains type diet where i eat between noon and 8. on sundays i join the guys for a 3-4 hour strongman training session that starts at 10am. so ya, i havent eaten in 14 hours and wont eat for at least 4 if not 5 hours more. that makes upwards of 18 hours without food. doesnt kill. i keep getting stronger. and the more fat i have in my diet the better i train those days even while waiting that long without food.

the human body is an amazing machine that can adapt and deal with adversity quite well. if we were to believe all the the broscience on exercise it really appears that the human body is a giant *****. and it makes you wonder how we have survived as a species.

the science is cool and great and stuff. but dont get so caught up in the details that you forget that training harder, eating harder, and recovering harder will get you further then most anything.
    Well said my man!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  140 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MattS67 View Post
    1) there's not as much benefit doing it fasted if you're already on a low carb diet

2) intensity is the key factor. LISS in a fasted state is fine as your body will use primarily fat as fuel; anything moderate to high intensity, some protein or BCAAs beforehand would be a wise idea.
    Agree with the BCAAs
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    My best answer is....what ever works for you is best. If you diet 12 to 16 weeks you shouldn't be at much of a muscle loss. Refeeds also prevent or help this.muscle memory does the rest. Cut,then maintain and get your size back.
    It is good to read. Proper exercises and regular diet help to get your size back. But e-regular exercise and diet plays main role to increase so many problems that effect on cardio and your digestion.
    Dianabol on stock and ready for fast shipping worldwide
  12. Registered User
    Answers

This is true and i am totally agreed with this statement. Fast cardio is bad for health so it is good to do cardio slowly. Too much fast cardio effects on our muscles so we should avoid it.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHerry
    This is true and i am totally agreed with this statement. Fast cardio is bad for health so it is good to do cardio slowly. Too much fast cardio effects on our muscles so we should avoid it.
    They are saying fasted not fast. As in within out food.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SChasEE View Post
    I personally started doing a low carb diet approx 2 months ago, going from 250g/day to 140g/day. The 1st month I did JUST the low carb diet and saw some fat loss. Then I started fasted cardio in the AM the 2nd month. I noticed a dramatic increase in fat burning when I started the 2nd month, while maintaining my strength and judging by the mirror, size as well. I do take BCAAs after as well. Hope this helps!
    Ok, quick question, were you doing any cardio at all prior? Or did you just simply inserted "cardio" overall? Because if it is the later, then there may be an argument that it was just for the fact your expenditure went up.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  15. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post
    I have seen many people say that they do IF and cardio. What I am wondering is if that is bad for muscle growth/ maintaining muscle. And how effective it really is at burning fat. Expecially if you are already on a low carb diet. Since if your body is on a low carb diet and lifting your body will use that glucose to fuel your muscles. So there will already be a low amount of glucose in ones blood stream. And if the body has too low of blood glucose levels the pancreas will make glycagon to increase blood glucose levels and it will do it by breaking down glycogen. So my question is... would IF and cardio be detrimental to muscle if on low carb diet? Hope I didn't sound like a jack ass right there. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Aerobic exercise in a fasted state is fine
    Anaerobic exercise in a fasted state is questionable but I tend to lean towards it is fine as well based off anecdotal evidence.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  16. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I understand the mentality here. Always want the edge, the advantage. But honestly time spent worrying about such minute details could be better spent perfecting aspects like nutrition and training that have a much larger body of research regarding what works and what doesn't
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    I understand the mentality here. Always want the edge, the advantage. But honestly time spent worrying about such minute details could be better spent perfecting aspects like nutrition and training that have a much larger body of research regarding what works and what doesn't
    Wouldn't researching the effects of fasted x not fasted workout fall under the "larger body of research regarding what works" category?
  18. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Wouldn't researching the effects of fasted x not fasted workout fall under the "larger body of research regarding what works" category?
    Haha yeah. I guess what I meant to say were things that have a considerable amount of research backing. Fasted training isn't up near the top
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Haha yeah. I guess what I meant to say were things that have a considerable amount of research backing. Fasted training isn't up near the top
    haha, true

I've always been intrigued by the fasted cardio, and enjoy as a change of pace. Not sure if it works better or not, but I do try to squeeze in a couple here and there too. Lower intensity, will leave the long runs for when I have at least had some sort of meals
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nausea after fasted cardio?
    By vadox6466 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM
  2. When to eat after fasted cardio.
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
  3. Whey after morning cardio?
    By Kam in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
  4. Protein Shake Before or After morning Cardio??
    By SacDIESEL in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
  5. Fasting cardio with AAS
    By bpmartyr in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 02:31 PM