replacement for squats

  1. Advanced Member
    mattborn00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    37952
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    8.91%

    replacement for squats


    i love doing squats but lately my back problem( flattened disc at L2-L3, herniated disc at L4 and L5 and a cyst sitting on a nerve on L5 in my lower back ) has started making it very painful to squat. i have been trying to fight through the pain but it has gotten to the point of being unbearable. i have already been to the doctor for all this and there is nothing they can do for the pain, so i was wondereing if any of yall had any good replacement excerises for squats besides leg presses and hack squats. thanks for the help

  2. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,486
    Rep Power
    141407
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    56.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mattborn00 View Post
    i love doing squats but lately my back problem( flattened disc at L2-L3, herniated disc at L4 and L5 and a cyst sitting on a nerve on L5 in my lower back ) has started making it very painful to squat. i have been trying to fight through the pain but it has gotten to the point of being unbearable. i have already been to the doctor for all this and there is nothing they can do for the pain, so i was wondereing if any of yall had any good replacement excerises for squats besides leg presses and hack squats. thanks for the help
    I forget what they're called but yu can do squats without the spinal compression by having the weight hangin from a weight belt and using two platforms. I did those for a while when i herniated a disk. Idk about you but I couldn't even do leg press because any pressure i my lower back killed it
  3. Advanced Member
    mattborn00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    37952
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    8.91%

    Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    I forget what they're called but yu can do squats without the spinal compression by having the weight hangin from a weight belt and using two platforms. I did those for a while when i herniated a disk. Idk about you but I couldn't even do leg press because any pressure i my lower back killed it
    ok thanks i will look into that, and yea on some days leg presses are painful but not as much as the squats
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    106510
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    32.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    According to dr Stuart mcgill, leading expert on spinal biomechanics, if you have low back problems doing the leg press will likely make things worse. Avoid it. Hell, even with back problems squats are better and safer than the leg press.

    But due to pain try front squats, bulgarian split squats, belt squats, and step ups.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  5. New Member
    rambo679's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    1782
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

    I strained my lower back a few years ago and couldn't squat for a time. It felt like the weight was resting directly on my spine. And just like asooneyeonig said, doing leg presses hurt my back worse just because of the bending it made me do to get into position on it.

    Front squats however were my savior during the time as I was able to do them without any back pain.

    This was just a strain and not an actual spinal problem.
  6. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,390
    Rep Power
    466001
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    try goblet squats, bulgarian split squats, or dumbell lunges

    dumbell lunges might be your best friend because theres no spinal compression
  7. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46443
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    try goblet squats, bulgarian split squats, or dumbell lunges

    dumbell lunges might be your best friend because theres no spinal compression
    ^ best answer... Especially if you have a gym like mine which has a basketball court; I love to do my lunges in there. Put your hands up above your head and go completely around the sidelines. I do them at the end of my leg workout so the length of the court alone is enough intensity for me to burn them out. No weights needed
  8. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mattborn00 View Post
    i have already been to the doctor for all this and there is nothing they can do for the pain,
    Well, hmmm, I don't really like answers like that from doctors, so it usually leads me to seek other specialists or doctors.
    Have you tried any chiros or PT's or ART specialists?
    It is also not unusual to get 3 different diagnosis from 3 different kinds of doctors.
    Low back pain is pretty widespread and there seems to be quite a few different venues for relief, so I would not give up or marry one "I'm stuck with it" mentality.

    2 more cents...
    That all said, what about trying a parallel bar dead lift or a a trap bar with elevated handles?
    I would think it could only help long term, keeping the area ie: (hips, low back, legs) somewhat stronger, flexible and trained if you can do it painfree.
  9. New Member
    Danimozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    42912
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    10.62%

    I like doing one legged squats with dumbbells in each hand and one leg resting on a bench
  10. Advanced Member
    mattborn00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    37952
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    8.91%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

    Well, hmmm, I don't really like answers like that from doctors, so it usually leads me to seek other specialists or doctors.
    Have you tried any chiros or PT's or ART specialists?
    It is also not unusual to get 3 different diagnosis from 3 different kinds of doctors.
    Low back pain is pretty widespread and there seems to be quite a few different venues for relief, so I would not give up or marry one "I'm stuck with it" mentality.

    2 more cents...
    That all said, what about trying a parallel bar dead lift or a a trap bar with elevated handles?
    I would think it could only help long term, keeping the area ie: (hips, low back, legs) somewhat stronger, flexible and trained if you can do it painfree.
    I have seen two.different doctors and the MRI done and both said the same thing. And they said I can try pt but it won't help with the cyst on the nerve. Also both diagnosed me with dergentive disc diease
  11. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mattborn00 View Post
    I have seen two.different doctors and the MRI done and both said the same thing. And they said I can try pt but it won't help with the cyst on the nerve. Also both diagnosed me with dergentive disc diease
    I see. Do you have pain a lot of the time, or just with certain activities and or movements ie: squats?

    I know one doctor told me once that disc degeneration is kind of a typical sign of aging and can show up in people as young as their early 20's.
    Are either of the doctors you have seen lifters? Just wondering!?
  12. Advanced Member
    mattborn00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    37952
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    8.91%

    I have pain all the time just some days worse than others and no I doubt either docs r lifters
  13. New Member
    hubbabubba's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  290 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    2685
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    20.18%

    I agree with front squats but save any squat until the end of your workout. Pre-exhaust the hell out of your quads. Extensions, lunges, sissy squats, step-ups, (all other recommended mentioned above ^^^^) and squat last. Go slow and controlled on the negative and squeeze your thighs on the top. Make the light weight seem heavy. Good Luck!
  14. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532239
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Oddly enough, regular squats hurt my back some (herniated L1-S1, stenosis), but 16" box squats don't hurt at all.

    I'm not implicating your form at all, but how is it? Even after YEARS of squatting, I can shoot my hips up first and really f*ck myself up. Box squats help with the issue, and I think I keep my spine more erect, primarily when fatigued.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  15. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,712
    Rep Power
    5317492
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    You do realsie that asking for advice on a forum about something like this may result in you being hurt? You need to consult someone who knows your condition and is in a place to recommend exercises which will not place stress on your injuries.
  16. Advanced Member
    mattborn00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    37952
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    8.91%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    You do realsie that asking for advice on a forum about something like this may result in you being hurt? You need to consult someone who knows your condition and is in a place to recommend exercises which will not place stress on your injuries.
    I do understand this I am only looking for other options. My doc told me to just not even work out legs. But I still can do most leg stuff just looking for a squat replacement
  17. New Member
    OHlympia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    461
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    62.11%

    I believe that there are plenty of great options of exercises mentioned above including; bulgarian split squats, DB Lunges, Sissy Squats, Belt Squats, Front Squats, etc..

    Also, for clients that I've had with similar problems I focus more on the core strength to get pressure of the lumbar spine. Along with doing manuel resistance exercises (need a partner strong enough to resist you instead of using weight). These exercises can be carried out lying down and avoid unnecessary pressure on the spine.
  18. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,449
    Rep Power
    10742714
    Level
    108
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    As much as I like the idea of being helpful to come up with replacement exercises I can't help but think with something this severe it would be dangerous to do so.

    Spinal issues effect people differently. Which exercises you complete would depend on your own kinetic chain. For example, bulgarian split squats might be a valuable tool for one person but for anyone who has tension in their iliopsoas or rectus femoris you will likely encounter subsequent lumbar extension due to insufficient hip extension capabilities which for some people would make their back condition much worse.

    You need assessing to know what is safe and what is not.

    It would be safest to go directly to a professional who can work alongside your doctor to prescribe appropriate exercises.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  19. Advanced Member
    usealittle's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    627
    Rep Power
    17962
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    68.81%

    Front squats should put any pressure in the back if done correctly.
  20. Advanced Member
    mattborn00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    37952
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    8.91%

    After sitting down with my doc and pt I will going with front squats. Thanks everyone for your input
  21. Advanced Member
    usealittle's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    627
    Rep Power
    17962
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    68.81%

    Fronts are great for workin squads with Minimal back work, if kept light enough and if from stays tight.
  22. New Member
    sugardaddy69's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    29012
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%

    hack squat with a bb

    you hold it behind and move up and down similar to a deadlift but you will remain erect at all times not bending at the hips it could pull some tension off your spine I guesstimate
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 4AD use as test replacement for women
    By Indigo6 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 05:12 PM
  2. Need replacement for Dips
    By Head Nurse in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 11:30 AM
  3. Co-Q10 replacement for R-ALA
    By lifted in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 03:59 PM
  4. Bad form for Squats and DLs?
    By Ibench800 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in