How much rest do yih need for strength

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.84%

How much rest do yih need for strength

So i have been obsessed with getting stronger lately. Last year I stayed ripped all year and remained 7% or so body fat but also stayed at 172 pounds and didn't get stronger max bench was 250. My diet was fairly high protein and moderate carbs. Like I would watch my carbs late at night and when not training. Then I moved to Iowa and experienced a winter (for the first time) so I ate a lot and lifted a lot and finally I gained 12 punds and my bench went up to 280 flat and 295 smith flat. Now I just want to get stronger. It just feels way more rewarding.

So how many days should I rest and what should I eat and how many hours should I sleep. Also should I do any cardio.
    klajsd;flksaj;faksj;faksdf

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.75%

I'd rest at least 3 days a week, it's really dependent on all the other factors you mentioned too. As for what to eat there's plenty of topics on this do a search. At least 8 for sleep, I've found personally that when I do cardio only 2x a week and not very intense cardio is when my strength goes through the roof. Any time I wanted to go for pure strength I'd do 3x3s, though it doesn't do a lot for endurance or for muscle size. I'm sure other people will chime in here.
    PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Residency
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.13%

What type of split do you use?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

The general rule of thumb can be 2-3 days for smaller groups and 3-5 days for larger ie: hips legs and back maybe.
    Eating can correspond to general strength gains too. Usually guys who are at their heaviest are at their strongest.
    Lower rep multi sets, also seem to add more to to 1RM PR's. ie: x5's x3's x1's etc. (Prilipins table comes to mind)
    Enter the largest muscle groups compound exercises also, as a larger back for example, will help support a heavy BP. Of course your largest groups are hips, legs shoulders and back which when working these groups, can elicit the biggest changes in hormonal and body weight lean muscle changes.
    Rule is, if you are adding weight to the bar rather consistently, you are most likely recovering and ready to train again. Cycling programming like HML stuff also come to mind thru some routines.
    It may help greatly if you read books like, Starting Strength, Keys To Progress or Brawn .
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.93%

The type of program and phase of said program will determine how many rest days you will take, if any at all. Undulation of intensities and volume as well as planned overreaching and de-loading play a large roll in frequency. There really is no set number of days of rest that are needed it will all depend, as stated, on the phase of training your in, your diet, work capacity, threshold for recovery, etc. Even then rest days usually consist of active recovery techniques, for me at least true rest days are few and far between.

Yes cardio should be included, increasing your aerobic and anaerobic capacities will be of benefit regardless of your endeavor.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.2%

Quote Originally Posted by theish11 View Post
    So how many days should I rest and what should I eat and how many hours should I sleep. Also should I do any cardio.
    Rest can be determined by the program you are on. Pick one, like a 5x5 one, 5/3/1, or westside for skinny bastards or whatever. Follow it exactly for 6 to 12 months. It will tell you how to rest.

Eat what you are eating now. If you are not gaining then eat more.

You can do cardio. Think of it as conditioning. Do what you need to do to get better at lifting. Look up the prowler. Learn to do sprints and strength medleys like what you see in a strongman competition.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    Rest can be determined by the program you are on. Pick one, like a 5x5 one, 5/3/1, or westside for skinny bastards or whatever. Follow it exactly for 6 to 12 months. It will tell you how to rest.

Eat what you are eating now. If you are. It gaining then eat more.

You can do cardio. Think of it as conditioning. Do what you need to do to get better at lifting. Look up the prowler. Learn to do sprints and strength medleys like what you see in a strongman competition.
    listen to this, and welcome to IOWA lol
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.2%

Quote Originally Posted by theish11 View Post
    Then I moved to Iowa
    where in iowa are you? i train at a strongman/powerlifting gym in council bluffs. its a great little place with very strong guys. if you are nearby we do a group training thing on sunday mornings. you should come on down.

we had a friend of the gym compete at the arnold this year in the strongman competition this year too. another one has competed at a bryan shaw invite a few years ago. great bunch of guys. as long as you can stand plenty of dick and fart jokes you will fit right in.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%

where in iowa are you? i train at a strongman/powerlifting gym in council bluffs. its a great little place with very strong guys. if you are nearby we do a group training thing on sunday mornings. you should come on down.

we had a friend of the gym compete at the arnold this year in the strongman competition this year too. another one has competed at a bryan shaw invite a few years ago. great bunch of guys. as long as you can stand plenty of dick and fart jokes you will fit right in.
    another fellow iowan
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.2%

Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    another fellow iowan
    i live in omaha, close enough though. most everyone in the gym is from omaha. the guy that owns the place is in council bluffs.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%

i live in omaha, close enough though. most everyone in the gym is from omaha. the guy that owns the place is in council bluffs.
    ahhh got ya
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.17%

PLn I use 5+ min in between sets. For heavy singles I use 10-12. If the heart is racing your not ready to move max effort.

Similar Forum Threads

1. How much Formestane do I need to...
    By Broly in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 03:37 PM
  2. How much protein do I need? Diet Advice Needed
    By want2lose in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
  3. How much caffien do I need to thermogenisis
    By Lockxxheed in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1