Muscle Memory Solved

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.24%

Muscle Memory Solved

‘Muscle memory’ has always been a mystery. But now it seems like we finally have an answer. Check out the new article: Muscle Memory Solved

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by anoopbal View Post
    ‘Muscle memory’ has always been a mystery. But now it seems like we finally have an answer. Check out the new article: Muscle Memory Solved
    Yup. More excuse to play with mgf and igf-1 now.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.24%

haha yep.

This might be good for people who lost muscle due to bed rest and due to disease. Maybe in disease it could be in another mechanism. I remember when I was doing my Master's it was pretty accepted in our lab that muscle lose around 30% of nuclei during atrophy and the 'domain theory' was pretty intact. So this is pretty cool.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.37%

It also means that since your body is more efficient at producing/using mgf as you are younger, its probably the best idea to lift while your young if you want to be big later down the road. At least you will have the extra nuclei, even if you take a break in between.Thats the way I always looked at it. Guys in their late teens/younger 20's have no excuse not to lift!
    CELTIC LABS REP
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.05%

Thanks for providing this useful information.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.33%

Wow. That's great info!
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.37%

In a totally non "i knew first" kind of way.
    Im pretty sure this was well known before this was published? I remember thinking about this on my cycle last summer and I've posted about increased nuclei from cycle permanently increasing genetic potential before here on AM.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.24%

Thanks pumphouse and Jennifer,

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    In a totally non "i knew first" kind of way.
    Im pretty sure this was well known before this was published? I remember thinking about this on my cycle last summer and I've posted about increased nuclei from cycle permanently increasing genetic potential before here on AM.
    No. It was the other way around. It was accepted that muscle lose nuclei with muscle loss and is consistent with the 'nuclear domain theory'. This in fact goes against it.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.37%

Thanks pumphouse and Jennifer,

No. It was the other way around. It was accepted that muscle lose nuclei with muscle loss and is consistent with the 'nuclear domain theory'. This in fact goes against it.
    Few previous studies from dat's site. 2008/2010:

Bruusgaard JC, Gundersen K. In vivo time-lapse microscopy reveals no loss of murine myonuclei during weeks of muscle atrophy, J Clin Invest 118: 1450–1457, 2008

Bruusgaard JC, Johansen IB, Egner IM, Rana ZA, Gundersen K. Myonuclei acquired by overload exercise precede hypertrophy and are not lost on detraining, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 15111–15116, 2010

Gundersen K, Bruusgaard JC. Nuclear domains during muscle atrophy: nuclei lost or paradigm lost?, J Physiol 586: 2675–2681, 2008
    CELTIC LABS REP
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.24%

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    Few previous studies from dat's site. 2008/2010:

Bruusgaard JC, Gundersen K. In vivo time-lapse microscopy reveals no loss of murine myonuclei during weeks of muscle atrophy, J Clin Invest 118: 1450–1457, 2008

Bruusgaard JC, Johansen IB, Egner IM, Rana ZA, Gundersen K. Myonuclei acquired by overload exercise precede hypertrophy and are not lost on detraining, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 15111–15116, 2010

Gundersen K, Bruusgaard JC. Nuclear domains during muscle atrophy: nuclei lost or paradigm lost?, J Physiol 586: 2675–2681, 2008
    Those were the same studies referenced in the article. In fact, there is a recent one in 2012 which showed the same with hindlimb unloading. So they are using different models to confirm it.

I am talking before these studies and after they confirmed it with multiple studies. One study going against the conventional wisdom is always looked skeptically.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.1%

haha yep.

This might be good for people who lost muscle due to bed rest and due to disease. Maybe in disease it could be in another mechanism. I remember when I was doing my Master's it was pretty accepted in our lab that muscle lose around 30% of nuclei during atrophy and the 'domain theory' was pretty intact. So this is pretty cool.
    Unfortunately u know this from first hand experience. I was diagnosed with nerve damage in my entire body and basically had to rebuild all my muscles back up. I lost a total of 30lbs and am coming up on 6months of being in.a rehabilitation center. My upper body has basically returned to almost normal before diagnosis. My legs still requires a lot of, not rehab per se but strengthening that I basically do on leg press and leg extension machines. My major issue is dorsiflexion.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.37%

Oh man, I feel dumb now. *slowly walks away*
    CELTIC LABS REP
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.44%

Ok. 'Muscle memory' is actually related to LEARNED motor programs (i.e., neural recruitment patterns) and not that the muscle itself responds better to unaccustomed exercise after a period of detraining. In order for myonuclear domain to maintain adequacy, one would expect myonuclei would decrease during atrophy (not sure why people think this is relevant to this topic). However, studies have shown that myogenic stem cell (satellite cells in the basal lamina) remain elevated after a period of resistance training and are able to quickly differentiate into new myonuclei.
    PhD Student:
    Exercise Physiology, Cell Physiology, Muscle Biology
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.85%

Milk like milk products, natural yogurt and low-fat parmesan cheesse, such as bungalow and natural parmesan cheesse, These little jewelry have all the charming taste of lollies, with the involved make up of supplement C and metal....
    http://www.toplevelfit.com/

Similar Forum Threads

1. SS's no Supplements Muscle Memory Log
    By supersoldier in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 09:42 AM
  2. IGF-1 Connections to muscle "memory"
    By jomi822 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 03:30 AM
  3. Muscle Memory
    By Jared in forum Anabolics