Is Specific Hip Adduction Work Needed?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Is Specific Hip Adduction Work Needed?

On the occasional accessory day for legs I usually put my focus on hip abduction, extension and flexion work, but I was wondering if there would be a need to directly target the adductors, and if so, what would be the best method. Hopefully there is something more functional than the "good girl" machine.

I was wondering if anyone does any direct work for the adductors, or if they get enough attention from lunges and isolateral leg work.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

i like wide stance deep box squats. just be sure to push those knees out. hits the hammies well too.

since i started doing those i have noticed my groin rubbing together more. it kind of sucks.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

This is based on hear-say, but pretty from a good source. I was talking to a sports doc who works with the UK football team, and they are starting to use a test of hip adduction force and perception of pain in the groin region. They've been pretty able to predict pubis injuries when pain is present. Try it sometime as a measure of recovery. Lie supine, put your fists thumb to thumb between your inner thighs at mid-thigh level and squeeze hard. If there's some discomfort at the groin region you should probably cut back on major hip extensor and exercises that use a lot of posterior pelvic tilt.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Today was assistance work for squats and deads. Re' Ozzie's suggestion I tried some wide stance deep box squats and liked what I felt - it certainly hit what I was hoping it would. Felt the upper thighs brushing more than usual when I finished my last set. I'll be adding them into rotation.

Thanks for the tip, Red. Tried the fist-thigh squeeze and didn't feel any discomfort. I like to think I'm pretty good about recovery. I do my foam rolling/mobility work, diet is on point, and I'm fairly tuned in to over training. My reason for asking about specific adduction work was simply to see what benefits/carryover it would have to heavy squats/deads.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.

Similar Forum Threads

1. is this going to work for pct
    By steeler fan in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 12:33 AM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 01:18 AM
  3. My Blood Work - Need Advice
    By RVeezy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
  4. Question on Blood Work... need advice!
    By ali11atc in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 10:28 AM