Personal Training Certification Help - AnabolicMinds.com

Personal Training Certification Help

  1. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Personal Training Certification Help


    I am looking to get into Personal Training, but I'm tangled between hat certification to get? I heard a lot of good things about NASM, but also that the test is hard. I could do a 6 month course at my Community College for the NSCA certification.. if anyone has taken the NASM or is currently doing it please help! as well as any other certifications?
    Thanks!

  2. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Honestly, as a long time professional within the industry, as long as your certificate is NASM, NSCA, or ACSM it shouldn't matter much.

    ACSM is probably best if you plan to work with people who have slight medical conditions (i.e.: baby boomers with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.)
    NASM is good all around, especially if you want to work with average joes/janes.
    NSCA might be most appropriate if you plan to work with athletes.

    Beyond that, it is experience, further education (attend conferences, seminars, read read read...and not BS blogs, but books by authors with experience and credentials), and the ability to market yourself.
  3. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,236
    Rep Power
    6718341

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Honestly, as a long time professional within the industry, as long as your certificate is NASM, NSCA, or ACSM it shouldn't matter much.

    ACSM is probably best if you plan to work with people who have slight medical conditions (i.e.: baby boomers with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.)
    NASM is good all around, especially if you want to work with average joes/janes.
    NSCA might be most appropriate if you plan to work with athletes.

    Beyond that, it is experience, further education (attend conferences, seminars, read read read...and not BS blogs, but books by authors with experience and credentials), and the ability to market yourself.
    What's your position on degrees for this field?

    I know you have a doctorate, but how much of a difference does it make for you?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Good question. I don't think a doctorate is needed to be a successful physical performance specialist. My Ph.D. allows me to work as a professor and conduct meaningful research within the realm of human performance.

    I think a knowledge of exercise science is needed, such as a BS that covers anatomy, physiology, exercise science (especially energy systems), and kinesiology/basic biomechanics. From there, I'd say you need to tailor what you want to learn to what you want to do. Some schools are heavily focused on cardiac rehab or pre-professional versions of exercise science. Others are focused more on strength/conditioning or performance.
  5. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,236
    Rep Power
    6718341

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Good question. I don't think a doctorate is needed to be a successful physical performance specialist. My Ph.D. allows me to work as a professor and conduct meaningful research within the realm of human performance.

    I think a knowledge of exercise science is needed, such as a BS that covers anatomy, physiology, exercise science (especially energy systems), and kinesiology/basic biomechanics. From there, I'd say you need to tailor what you want to learn to what you want to do. Some schools are heavily focused on cardiac rehab or pre-professional versions of exercise science. Others are focused more on strength/conditioning or performance.
    So assuming I go to college with the goal in mind of getting my degree in exercise science with strength/conditioning or performance in mind. Which schools would be best for this, if you know any off the top of your head.

    Ultimately, I'd like to coach football if at all possible. I actually have plans to open a gym (similar to DeFrancos in equipment) and am wondering what type of degree/training would be best to work with those types of athletes.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,051
    Rep Power
    919686

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    So assuming I go to college with the goal in mind of getting my degree in exercise science with strength/conditioning or performance in mind. Which schools would be best for this, if you know any off the top of your head.

    Ultimately, I'd like to coach football if at all possible. I actually have plans to open a gym (similar to DeFrancos in equipment) and am wondering what type of degree/training would be best to work with those types of athletes.
    My experience is that the curriculum that is prevalent within academia contains myopic information regarding training and doesn't delve into how different each sports particular energy system needs, season length, macrocycles, etc. For example, the NSCA only teaches one particular style of periodization, which is linear aka Western periodization. The degree you get and where you go for it is, more or less, irrelevant. The important part is to never stop learning and to gain the tools on how to obtain/acquire information. Don't get me wrong; they're are some damn good S&C professors out there, but most of them have barely spent any time in the gym and only have paper knowledge.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,236
    Rep Power
    6718341

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    My experience is that the curriculum that is prevalent within academia contains myopic information regarding training and doesn't delve into how different each sports particular energy system needs, season length, macrocycles, etc. For example, the NSCA only teaches one particular style of periodization, which is linear aka Western periodization. The degree you get and where you go for it is, more or less, irrelevant. The important part is to never stop learning and to gain the tools on how to obtain/acquire information. Don't get me wrong; they're are some damn good S&C professors out there, but most of them have barely spent any time in the gym and only have paper knowledge.
    I understand that, and see it a lot actually.

    I guess I was just wondering if there were any that were more applicable than others.

    I didn't know that about the NSCA, are most of the associations for those certifications like that? I had been thinking about getting the CSCS from them actually.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,051
    Rep Power
    919686

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I understand that, and see it a lot actually.

    I guess I was just wondering if there were any that were more applicable than others.

    I didn't know that about the NSCA, are most of the associations for those certifications like that? I had been thinking about getting the CSCS from them actually.
    The undergrad programs are going to be very similar amongst institutions. It's the grad programs that are going to have different directions. I only have solid experience with the NSCA, so I can't comment on the other upper-level certifications.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    The undergrad programs are going to be very similar amongst institutions. It's the grad programs that are going to have different directions. I only have solid experience with the NSCA, so I can't comment on the other upper-level certifications.
    That's what my college offers is the NSCA. it's a 6 month program and then 48 hours internship at a gym. I am interested in possibly helping out my old highschool football team with their weight lifting and strength/speed training.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,051
    Rep Power
    919686

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    That's what my college offers is the NSCA. it's a 6 month program and then 48 hours internship at a gym. I am interested in possibly helping out my old highschool football team with their weight lifting and strength/speed training.
    You don't need a 6 month course. Buy the materials, study them, and take the test.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    You don't need a 6 month course. Buy the materials, study them, and take the test.
    Is that what you did?
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,051
    Rep Power
    919686

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Is that what you did?
    Yes. When I took it (and I don't think it's changed too much), the test was 40% ex phys, 40% technique, 10% legal issues, and 10% special needs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Yes. When I took it (and I don't think it's changed too much), the test was 40% ex phys, 40% technique, 10% legal issues, and 10% special needs.
    hmm, but the question is how much was it? I know NASM is pretty expensive. But if I can find something cheaper then school and NASM then I'm in lol it has to be legit though!
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,051
    Rep Power
    919686

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    hmm, but the question is how much was it? I know NASM is pretty expensive. But if I can find something cheaper then school and NASM then I'm in lol it has to be legit though!
    NSCA cost me ~$450.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    NSCA cost me ~$450.
    on the NSCA website? or from some other site?
  16. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,051
    Rep Power
    919686

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    on the NSCA website? or from some other site?
    Their site.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I understand that, and see it a lot actually.

    I guess I was just wondering if there were any that were more applicable than others.

    I didn't know that about the NSCA, are most of the associations for those certifications like that? I had been thinking about getting the CSCS from them actually.
    Check out schools that have good Masters or Bachelors strength and conditioning degrees.

    Three come to mind off the top of my head.

    Springfield College, MA (I am a bit biased, I went there). I know there are two faculty on hand who are real strength guys. One is Dr. Thompson, the other is Dr. Davidson, who is a national level strong man competitor in the 185 pound class. He is actually competing at the Arnold, I learned an umpteen amount of info from these guys. They also have one of the best strength and conditioning masters programs in the country.

    University of Connecticut. Has a bachelors exercise science track strength and conditioning degree and a masters with a focus on S&C. Eric Cressey and a number of other good coaches came out of here.

    Eastern Tennessee State University and Florida Atlantic (or International, can't remember) University. Also has a really good strength and conditioning masters program. though I dont know as much about either.

    Br
  18. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Thinking about just buying the NSCA strength and conditioning textbook from my local Barnes and noble and just study my ass off and then buy the exam and take it lol way cheaper
  19. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    ebay is your friend here. i got mine for $65 new
  20. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    ebay is your friend here. i got mine for $65 new
    I was just looking some up! do I have to have a CPR certification? I can get a health care provider certification for free at my buddy's fire department I think that should count for CPR cert
  21. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    cpr with aed
  22. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,236
    Rep Power
    6718341

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    cpr with aed
    Which means ill probably have to recertify.

    Dang.
  23. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    cpr with aed
    Would those be in a healthcare provider cert?
  24. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

    Which means ill probably have to recertify.

    Dang.
    oh yeah lol I think every year!
  25. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,236
    Rep Power
    6718341

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post

    oh yeah lol I think every year!
    Well I wasn't going to if I didn't need it for anything.
  26. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Would those be in a healthcare provider cert?
    Yes, I actually got the same certification the first time around. I believe its about the highest you can get from a one time course.
  27. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Would those be in a healthcare provider cert?
    not sure, best to check it out before hand
  28. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    Yes, I actually got the same certification the first time around. I believe its about the highest you can get from a one time course.
    Yes that's what I heard also! cool.
  29. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,228
    Rep Power
    3430689

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If I can chime in; don't just study what you need to know to pass, i.e. don't just learn the bare minimum required; insted learn what you don't need to know as well, that way when you look at new topics or hear new information you have a much bigger picture to view it from.

    The more you learn, ultimately the better you will be
  30. Elite Member
    bolt10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,451
    Rep Power
    3471603

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Honestly, as a long time professional within the industry, as long as your certificate is NASM, NSCA, or ACSM it shouldn't matter much.

    ACSM is probably best if you plan to work with people who have slight medical conditions (i.e.: baby boomers with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.)
    NASM is good all around, especially if you want to work with average joes/janes.
    NSCA might be most appropriate if you plan to work with athletes.

    Beyond that, it is experience, further education (attend conferences, seminars, read read read...and not BS blogs, but books by authors with experience and credentials), and the ability to market yourself.
    This is a very good summary and game plan for those looking into things. My cert is from NASM because most of the gyms around here preferred that certification (idk why just based on those I talked to in the area). The three mentioned here should be enough for most places.

    Our schools curriculum was based off ACSM so I went with the NASM just to get a different experience for my studying.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    My experience is that the curriculum that is prevalent within academia contains myopic information regarding training and doesn't delve into how different each sports particular energy system needs, season length, macrocycles, etc. For example, the NSCA only teaches one particular style of periodization, which is linear aka Western periodization. The degree you get and where you go for it is, more or less, irrelevant. The important part is to never stop learning and to gain the tools on how to obtain/acquire information. Don't get me wrong; they're are some damn good S&C professors out there, but most of them have barely spent any time in the gym and only have paper knowledge.
    This x100. We spent probably 90% of the time discussing aerobic performance in class and within our text, but the ability to read, study literature, and form opinions is what I really took away from school. Helped me immensely with continuing learning beyond college.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  31. New Member
    LeanMaShane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    25
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Yeah, thinking about just buying the NSCA textbook from eBay or something and study it and then take the exam when I think I'm ready. Way cheaper
  32. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Yeah, thinking about just buying the NSCA textbook from eBay or something and study it and then take the exam when I think I'm ready. Way cheaper
    still a good idea to the the exam content booklet and all 3 practices tests...
  33. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Yeah, thinking about just buying the NSCA textbook from eBay or something and study it and then take the exam when I think I'm ready. Way cheaper
    I'm not sure what you have around you for Universities or Colleges with Kinesiology programs, but many of them offer a strength and conditioning course (I teach a few at Univ. Kentucky). You can always talk to the professor to see if you can sit in and audit the course. Most won't mind, especially when you show interest in the content compared to some students who have to take it for credit.

    Br
  34. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,236
    Rep Power
    6718341

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    I'm not sure what you have around you for Universities or Colleges with Kinesiology programs, but many of them offer a strength and conditioning course (I teach a few at Univ. Kentucky). You can always talk to the professor to see if you can sit in and audit the course. Most won't mind, especially when you show interest in the content compared to some students who have to take it for credit.

    Br
    Lol I'm gonna go to the University of Kentucky.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. personal training certification. help...
    By chitown58 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM
  2. personal training certifications. help...
    By chitown58 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  3. Personal Training certifications
    By Erik2003 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM
  4. Personal Training Certification?
    By tmb6x in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
  5. Personal Training Certification
    By Iron&Pain in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in