Squat and Deadlift Mobility

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Squat and Deadlift Mobility


    I walked into the gym today and the staff member who swiped my card said "Squatting today?" To which I replied, "yes, how did you know?" He said "I saw the lifting belt" Then, after a moment of awkward deep thought he said "I feel bad for you". Politely I replied, "I feel bad you don't know the pleasure attained with deep heavy squats".

    That brings us to our activation/mobility exercise of the session. Below is a video of deep squat extension rotations. These are a great way to increase hip and adductor mobility needed for deep squatting. You also get the deep core and t-spine extensors activated that are needed to maintain a rigid posture during the squat. Getting into the position, and the squat to stands at the end are very good prior to deadlifts for increasing mobility in the hips and training the flat back posture needed during heavy deads.


  2. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,380
    Rep Power
    3860420
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    70.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Thank you for that
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Banned
    bmftisftw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,561
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    36.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    i will be trying this
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,486
    Rep Power
    141407
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Did he have anything to say after that?


    You should see if yu can get a section on the forum to get all these vids up
  5. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I've been posting them along side training video's in my log as well. The title of the log is "Its about dominance" or something to that extent.

    Br
  6. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,380
    Rep Power
    3860420
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    70.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Ive been following your videos recently and enjoy the information. I have an off topic question but relative to squat and deadlift if you don't mind answering...

    What's your best method for recovery for heavy squats and deadlifts in terms of immediate post workout? I run through all your generic stretches and foam rolling but I didn't know if you had any new tricks. What are your thoughts on inversion therapy?

    If you've already posted something on this I apologize; I haven't had the chance to watch all your videos yet.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  7. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    What if you can't get into that position?
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Ive been following your videos recently and enjoy the information. I have an off topic question but relative to squat and deadlift if you don't mind answering...

    What's your best method for recovery for heavy squats and deadlifts in terms of immediate post workout? I run through all your generic stretches and foam rolling but I didn't know if you had any new tricks. What are your thoughts on inversion therapy?

    If you've already posted something on this I apologize; I haven't had the chance to watch all your videos yet.
    Probably a good cool down would be most effective, with some foam rolling later on in the day, and depending on what your goals are maybe some ice and heat therapy. Lying with your legs up for a while will help with fluid retention and as well, although the cool down should take care of that as well.
  9. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    What if you can't get into that position?
    What is the issue preventing you? And slowly just work your way down to it.
  10. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,462
    Rep Power
    10742721
    Level
    108
    Lv. Percent
    84.18%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    What if you can't get into that position?
    Gray Cook uses a deep squat movement progression you can check out.

    One of the stages involves putting your hands on blocks rather than on the floor. I had success when I used this.

    You can read the section in his book, 'Athletic Body in Balance' on Google Books. Search for deep squat progression within the text, pages 63 onwards.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  11. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Gray Cook uses a deep squat movement progression you can check out.

    One of the stages involves putting your hands on blocks rather than on the floor. I had success when I used this.

    You can read the section in his book, 'Athletic Body in Balance' on Google Books. Search for deep squat progression within the text, pages 63 onwards.
    Thanks man. I'll check that out.

    Zir, my issue is when I grab my feet and try to squat down, I stop really, really high. Whenever I've stretched my groin and abductors for squatting, I would normally grab onto the side of a power rack and then squat down like that. Doing this, I don't have issues.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,782
    Rep Power
    1317352
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    31.94%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Ive been following your videos recently and enjoy the information. I have an off topic question but relative to squat and deadlift if you don't mind answering...

    What's your best method for recovery for heavy squats and deadlifts in terms of immediate post workout? I run through all your generic stretches and foam rolling but I didn't know if you had any new tricks. What are your thoughts on inversion therapy?

    If you've already posted something on this I apologize; I haven't had the chance to watch all your videos yet.
    BW unilateral thigh (e.g. walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats) helps to loosen the hips up and gets some extra bloodflow to the quads. Just a set or two is plenty provided the ROM is done properly.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  13. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Thanks man. I'll check that out.

    Zir, my issue is when I grab my feet and try to squat down, I stop really, really high. Whenever I've stretched my groin and abductors for squatting, I would normally grab onto the side of a power rack and then squat down like that. Doing this, I don't have issues.
    Tight hamstrings and overactive hip flexors would be my guess. Perhaps also some underactivation of the deep spinal extensors and intrinsic core muscles.
  14. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,380
    Rep Power
    3860420
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    70.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Thank you gents
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  15. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    438364
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Jason, I tried these yesterday. I can get to the bottom no problem and can hold my feet. I don't have the flexibility to get my arm behind my body when reaching back though. Tight pec and shoulders are the likely culprits. shoulders are whack after 5 surgeries, but i'm doing door stretches to try to loosen the pecs

    any other ideas?
  16. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Jason, I tried these yesterday. I can get to the bottom no problem and can hold my feet. I don't have the flexibility to get my arm behind my body when reaching back though. Tight pec and shoulders are the likely culprits. shoulders are whack after 5 surgeries, but i'm doing door stretches to try to loosen the pecs

    any other ideas?
    Door stretches, lat stretches, and form roll the lats, pecs and pec minor.

    You might also be lacking some thoracic mobility and that's why its difficult to reach back (ie. rotate and extend the t-spine)
  17. New Member
    rambo679's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    1782
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    66.16%

    I foam roll my lats, but when I try to foam roll my Pecs I feel like I'm doing it wrong.
    I don't really feel anything, I tried using a lacrosse ball, and I can make it hurt, but I feel like I'm doing it with no pattern.
  18. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Try it with a tennis or lacrosse ball on the wall. I copied these instructions for my SMR manual

    Set-up
    �� Stand next to a wall and place a tennis ball on the wall at chest height.
    �� Push your pecs into the ball to hold it in place.
    Performance
    �� With the tennis ball pinned between your pecs and the wall, roll it back and forth. It may help to work in small sections as the tennis ball doesn’t have a large circumference.
    �� Roll for 30–60 seconds, and then switch sides.
    �� To increase the intensity, horizontally abduct and externally rotate the arm to place the pectoralis major on stretch.
    Alternate Modalities
    �� Use a harder ball to increase the pressure.
  19. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You'll look silly doing these walks, but they are an excellent way to activate the three glutei muscles. Maintain the whole foot in contact with the floor and the feet facing forward at hip width apart.

  20. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Use this exercise to activate and strengthen the gluteus maximus. Keep the core engaged and forcefully extend the hips.

  21. Enhanced Body Formulations
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,820
    Rep Power
    1758511
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    68.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Use this exercise to activate and strengthen the gluteus maximus. Keep the core engaged and forcefully extend the hips.

    Video Link: http://youtu.be/SSqRR1eAjNw
    I do those with barbells with 135 for 15. Heaviest I've went was 245. I feel like once I go to heavy I can't focuse on the glutes enough.

    What am I doing wrong ? With 135 I'm on fire though
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  22. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,662
    Rep Power
    7847041
    Level
    100
    Lv. Percent
    27.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Try it with a tennis or lacrosse ball on the wall. I copied these instructions for my SMR manual

    Set-up
    ? Stand next to a wall and place a tennis ball on the wall at chest height.
    ? Push your pecs into the ball to hold it in place.
    Performance
    ? With the tennis ball pinned between your pecs and the wall, roll it back and forth. It may help to work in small sections as the tennis ball doesn't have a large circumference.
    ? Roll for 30-60 seconds, and then switch sides.
    ? To increase the intensity, horizontally abduct and externally rotate the arm to place the pectoralis major on stretch.
    Alternate Modalities
    ? Use a harder ball to increase the pressure.
    The same SMR manual you emailed?

    I started it recently and its ridiculously helpful. Thank you for that BTW.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  23. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,662
    Rep Power
    7847041
    Level
    100
    Lv. Percent
    27.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post

    I do those with barbells with 135 for 15. Heaviest I've went was 245. I feel like once I go to heavy I can't focuse on the glutes enough.

    What am I doing wrong ? With 135 I'm on fire though
    I did with 225 but I also prefer tthe lighter weight for glute activation.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  24. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,265
    Rep Power
    1896190
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post

    I do those with barbells with 135 for 15. Heaviest I've went was 245. I feel like once I go to heavy I can't focuse on the glutes enough.

    What am I doing wrong ? With 135 I'm on fire though
    Possibly muscle fiber activation is more concentrated/localized at lower weight for targeting glutes specifically as opposed to activating supportive muscles at higher weights? Ermm...

    I've never seen this before and will be incorporating it next leg day
    Independent Review
  25. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,486
    Rep Power
    141407
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    hey jason..ive got a problem with my hip flexors..they are really sore after squating..and not good sore..more tender and painful..i do tons of foam rolling and dynamic stretching before and static stretching afteras well..can this be form related.. i like to think i have good form but then again i cant really see myself while i squat..i cna tell you i keep my back tight, knees behind toes, and drive through my heels. should i upload a video?
  26. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I do those with barbells with 135 for 15. Heaviest I've went was 245. I feel like once I go to heavy I can't focuse on the glutes enough.

    What am I doing wrong ? With 135 I'm on fire though
    I'd guess its something similar to what palmfist said. As you get up in higher weight you might not be fully extending the hip and instead using more back muscles to achieve the desired height. With 135 you are likely getting a hyper-extension, which will maximize glute activity.

    You can also try single leg barbell glute hip bridge or band bridge. I'll try to tape some of those on Friday or Saturday. Tomorrow is linear acceleration day, but I'll be pressed for time so I'm not sure how much recording I can do.

    Br
  27. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,662
    Rep Power
    7847041
    Level
    100
    Lv. Percent
    27.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    I'd guess its something similar to what palmfist said. As you get up in higher weight you might not be fully extending the hip and instead using more back muscles to achieve the desired height. With 135 you are likely getting a hyper-extension, which will maximize glute activity.

    You can also try single leg barbell glute hip bridge or band bridge. I'll try to tape some of those on Friday or Saturday. Tomorrow is linear acceleration day, but I'll be pressed for time so I'm not sure how much recording I can do.

    Br
    That was my guess as well (especially considering the wicked lower back pump I had after) it wasn't a good look lol.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  28. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    hey jason..ive got a problem with my hip flexors..they are really sore after squating..and not good sore..more tender and painful..i do tons of foam rolling and dynamic stretching before and static stretching afteras well..can this be form related.. i like to think i have good form but then again i cant really see myself while i squat..i cna tell you i keep my back tight, knees behind toes, and drive through my heels. should i upload a video?

    Yeah, upload a video. Myself and the other experienced members can all give you feedback. I do my video's from the iPhone.

    Where in the hip flexor is it? Psoas (deep around groin area) or rectus femoris superficial around iliac spine and down toward knee.
  29. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,265
    Rep Power
    1896190
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quick question. Looking for information or literature regarding why a lifters knees will not track in line during the lift portion of a squat. I know I read something recently on this site, just can't find it now. I've recently convinced my wife to start bodybuilding and I'm trying to teach what I can. Her knees travel inward and I'm not sure if its weak hamstrings or an imbalance in the major muscle groups. Im going to have her start single leg exercises for now. I also remember reading something about a small muscle that travels across the patella? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Independent Review
  30. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    438364
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist
    Quick question. Looking for information or literature regarding why a lifters knees will not track in line during the lift portion of a squat. I know I read something recently on this site, just can't find it now. I've recently convinced my wife to start bodybuilding and I'm trying to teach what I can. Her knees travel inward and I'm not sure if its weak hamstrings or an imbalance in the major muscle groups. Im going to have her start single leg exercises for now. I also remember reading something about a small muscle that travels across the patella? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Knees coming in are causes by weak adductors. You are correct that she prolly has weak hamstrings and also glutes as well. Start her with the bar and ensure every single rep is done correctly. Have her turn her toes out about 30 degrees as well. This will also help the knees track correctly.

    "knees out" is a simple verbal cue to use.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  31. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    Quick question. Looking for information or literature regarding why a lifters knees will not track in line during the lift portion of a squat. I know I read something recently on this site, just can't find it now. I've recently convinced my wife to start bodybuilding and I'm trying to teach what I can. Her knees travel inward and I'm not sure if its weak hamstrings or an imbalance in the major muscle groups. Im going to have her start single leg exercises for now. I also remember reading something about a small muscle that travels across the patella? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    That is a whole host of problems that is especially common in women.

    It usually starts at the hips and works down to the feet.

    If the pelvis is rotated anterior (due to tight hip flexors...does she work a desk job, wear high heels often, or do a lot of leg raise type exercises) then that will internally rotate the femur (thigh bone). As a result, the adductors shorten and the abductors are lengthened and become weaker. If we move further down the skeleton, you might also see the feet flatten (pronate, lose the arch, etc.) during the squat.

    To fix it, as mentioned above are coaching cues.

    Stretch: adductors and hip flexors
    Strengthen: abductors and gluteus maximus

    Br
  32. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,782
    Rep Power
    1317352
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    31.94%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Time to whip out the box for her. What kind of shoes does she wear while training? This has a huge effect on the balance of the body and what you should wear for athletics/running is often different from lower body training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  33. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,265
    Rep Power
    1896190
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Shoes aren't the issue. I have her in zero drop trainers. Also been putting her thru different height box squats and different foot placements to help her improve form and find her sweet spot. I'm going to work with ZirREds suggestions. Thank you gentlemen
    Independent Review
  34. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,782
    Rep Power
    1317352
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    31.94%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    Shoes aren't the issue. I have her in zero drop trainers. Also been putting her thru different height box squats and different foot placements to help her improve form and find her sweet spot. I'm going to work with ZirREds suggestions. Thank you gentlemen
    Not necessarily true regarding shoes. Zero drop simply means that there isn't any level change from heel to mid-foot. That only addresses part of the equation when it comes to footwear and doesn't always fix the other problems, which are cushion and ability to place weight on the outside of the foot. Part of the problem with all of these minimalist shoes is that the amount of material in them is so thin that it's difficult to push your weight to the outside of the foot (aka knees out) as these shoes are not designed for this. When you're unable to really do this, it takes away from the amount of stress that can be placed on the outside of the thighs and hips.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  35. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,265
    Rep Power
    1896190
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    99.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Not necessarily true regarding shoes. Zero drop simply means that there isn't any level change from heel to mid-foot. That only addresses part of the equation when it comes to footwear and doesn't always fix the other problems, which are cushion and ability to place weight on the outside of the foot. Part of the problem with all of these minimalist shoes is that the amount of material in them is so thin that it's difficult to push your weight to the outside of the foot (aka knees out) as these shoes are not designed for this. When you're unable to really do this, it takes away from the amount of stress that can be placed on the outside of the thighs and hips.
    Ah. Very interesting indeed. Good point. I will research this issue as well
    Independent Review
  36. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,380
    Rep Power
    3860420
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    70.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post

    Ah. Very interesting indeed. Good point. I will research this issue as well
    Get her some pink Chuck Taylor's
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  37. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    This isn't a bad shoe for training in. Nike Free Trainers (not 3.0, 5.0, run, etc.)

    I have the live strong male version.

    http://www.finishline.com/store/cata...FegWMgodAhcACg

    They have a solid heel and toe, and enough heel elevation to do well in low bar back squatting.

    My wife has a similar pair, and we see a difference in her squatting in those vs. minimalist NB runners.
  38. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,486
    Rep Power
    141407
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    i know this is a bad angle..legs again on monday ill get another up..i know my tibia isnt vertical thats for more quad activation. because thats what i am focusing on now..i already gotta donk. but my knees do stay behind my toes..and agin my hipflexors were killing me.. i am currently taking anatomy so im not completey familiar but id say the psoas major. the flexors towards the groin

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWO5SSAs4U
  39. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    i know this is a bad angle..legs again on monday ill get another up..i know my tibia isnt vertical thats for more quad activation. because thats what i am focusing on now..i already gotta donk. but my knees do stay behind my toes..and agin my hipflexors were killing me.. i am currently taking anatomy so im not completey familiar but id say the psoas major. the flexors towards the groin

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWO5SSAs4U
    Heels elevate, load shifts forward, you aren't getting deep enough is what I notice.

    Increase your calf mobility, get a better pair of training shoes. Increase your anterior tib strength.

    Tight hip flexors will cause you to come forward, especially in conjunction with weak deep core muscles. So its time to work the bridges.

    Also, if you have the ankle mobility, there is nothing wrong with your knees coming over your toes. Its only when you cannot maintain contact on the ground or the load is no longer over the center of gravity that it is an issue. Look to olympic lifters.

    Br
  40. New Member
    rambo679's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    1782
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    66.16%

    Just an anecdotal report on the shoes vis a vi squatting, I bought a pair of adidas powerlift trainers because they were on sale, and It made squatting much more comfortable.

    Before when I would squat in anything other than my converse pro stars, it was a little uncomfortable, but the powerlift trainers really do make a difference. They don't bump up your numbers by 15 pounds like some reviews claim, but they make squatting properly much easier.

    link:
    http://www.adidas.com/us/product/men...er-shoes/SN823
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Squats and deadlifts - ESSENTIAL? Aid in debate
    By Squelchy in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM
  2. lower back pain = no squats and deadlifts :(
    By 310lifter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
  3. 5x5 squat and deadlifts
    By aztec02 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
  4. squatting and deadlifting on the same day??
    By teddybear in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
  5. Squats and deadlifts...
    By LunaHotel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 02:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in