Scapular activations

  1. Scapular activations


    I always see people doing the typical swing a 5lb plate around in circles as a half-whit warm up for the upper body. One of major objectives of the warm up is to activate the muscles needed for correct movement (which usually happen to be smaller ancillary/fixator muscles) and work on the ROM. Below is a very easy way to accomplish this without much space or equipment.



  2. I've been finishing my workouts with these like a bozo. I will add them to my warm up post haste.

    What is your opinion of band dislocations as a upper body warm up?

  3. Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    I've been finishing my workouts with these like a bozo. I will add them to my warm up post haste.

    What is your opinion of band dislocations as a upper body warm up?
    I like to use them before I perform any sort of over head movement, especially snatches and over head squats. I've seen some suggestions showing they may be damaging to the shoulder, but I think if you do not go beyond the point of pain and use them to supplement a good activation and mobility/stretching program then they are good.

    Br
    •   
       


  4. In to use another of Jason's tips that will undoubtedly give me "WTF" looks at the gym lol.

    I usually set up at a cable and do all different directional shoulder moves, but I'm gonna try this Saturday.

    Edit: did these today and I couldn't believe how uncomfortable they were. I got good blood flow to my rear delts and was warm for benching.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a animal, think like a human"-RTS

  5. this will be a good warmup for all pressing movements?

  6. I'm loving your mobility/activation threads.


    Just a respectful curiosity, have you considered making one thread and posting all the relevant videos for easy referencing? I think it would be an awesome sticky.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    I'm loving your mobility/activation threads.

    Just a respectful curiosity, have you considered making one thread and posting all the relevant videos for easy referencing? I think it would be an awesome sticky.
    Just sub to his log in the workout journals forum. They are all in there plus other good stuff.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a animal, think like a human"-RTS

  8. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    I'm loving your mobility/activation threads.


    Just a respectful curiosity, have you considered making one thread and posting all the relevant videos for easy referencing? I think it would be an awesome sticky.
    http://jasoncholewa.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/zirred/videos?view=0
    https://www.facebook.com/Jason.Chole...al.Performance
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  9. I appreciate it Josh and Rob. Still finding my way around this site and external links are always appreciated.

  10. What's your take on YTWs with really light weight or just bodyweight as warmup Jason? I have taken a habit of doing one massive YTW set of 6 reps of each movement consecutively just BW on an incline bench before my Upper body ME and DE workouts.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    What's your take on YTWs with really light weight or just bodyweight as warmup Jason? I have taken a habit of doing one massive YTW set of 6 reps of each movement consecutively just BW on an incline bench before my Upper body ME and DE workouts.
    This is my warmup as well. Subd for response

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    What's your take on YTWs with really light weight or just bodyweight as warmup Jason? I have taken a habit of doing one massive YTW set of 6 reps of each movement consecutively just BW on an incline bench before my Upper body ME and DE workouts.
    Its a pretty good basic warm up. I see a lot of people using weight, but there ROM or form is a little compromised, so I would suggest just doing body weight and focusing on scapular activation. If that is all you are doing, however, you are missing some serratus activation exercises. A couple good ideas are forward forearm wall slides or reach rock and rolls. Once I get over this illness and back into the gym I'll record a few serratus ant. activation exercises.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Its a pretty good basic warm up. I see a lot of people using weight, but there ROM or form is a little compromised, so I would suggest just doing body weight and focusing on scapular activation. If that is all you are doing, however, you are missing some serratus activation exercises. A couple good ideas are forward forearm wall slides or reach rock and rolls. Once I get over this illness and back into the gym I'll record a few serratus ant. activation exercises.
    That would be mighty helpful Jason thanks! And I definitely agree on the lack of ROM for people trying to use too much weight, I mean even 10lbs are heavy hard to execute properly!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

  14. I'll post these here as well for those not following my log.

    Below are forearm wall slides, an excellement movement to activate the serratus anterior, especially prior to over head pressing. If you have any sort of winged scapula than these are a must.


  15. I use these as both an activation or as a strengthening exercise. Make sure you are using a full ROM - push your shoulder blades apart at the start and then fully retract them at the end of the ROM. Do not let the elbows bend, you might even flex the triceps to prevent that from happening.


  16. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I use these as both an activation or as a strengthening exercise. Make sure you are using a full ROM - push your shoulder blades apart at the start and then fully retract them at the end of the ROM. Do not let the elbows bend, you might even flex the triceps to prevent that from happening.

    Looks rather good to build the top portion of the scapula right below the traps. I'll give them a shot Jason , thanks!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

  17. I've been following all your vids and have made a spot in my regime for all your tips so I appreciate the vids. Keep em coming.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  18. Here is another variation of the forearm wall slide. By altering the placement of the bands to the elbows and wrists you have the athlete (or yourself) activate the external rotator cuff muscle isometrically while activating the scapula as well.


  19. Lower trapezius activation and strengthening. An intensified version of the scapula wall slide.


  20. Serratus and lower trap activations.

    Forcefully protract the scapula, then slide the forearm out as far as possible without losing contact with the floor. Once contact is lost supinate the wrist and lift. Drive the shoulder blades down, do not shrug.


  21. Lower and mid trap activation


  22. T-spine extension and rotation mobility. Often times t-spine extension (or lack there of) is partly responsible for difficulty during the standing over head press and completing a pullup without the scapula elevating and the thoracic spine going into kyphosis.


  23. Lower trap strengthening.


  24. You can use this as a plyometric/RFD (power) movement, or as an activation prior to over head pressing.


  25. These are very good exercises for strengthening the shoulder. We use a lot of the band exercises to increase shoulder strength, and do a lot of scapular stab exercise, and exercises with PNF patterns.

  26. I greatly appreciate all you do here on this forum. Your videos are excellent help for me personally. Your expertise is a blessing here on A.M.
    Keep those vids coming..
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/232784-rushing-into-my.html

    Competition bound 2014
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 05:48 PM
  2. 1-test Anabolic/Androgenic activity
    By Bryan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 10:09 PM
  3. Activity Level Of AnabolicMinds.com
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 10:37 AM
  4. ORal Activation of AAS
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 06:20 PM
  5. Insulin Timing & Activity
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Log in
Log in