Scapular activations

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Scapular activations

I always see people doing the typical swing a 5lb plate around in circles as a half-whit warm up for the upper body. One of major objectives of the warm up is to activate the muscles needed for correct movement (which usually happen to be smaller ancillary/fixator muscles) and work on the ROM. Below is a very easy way to accomplish this without much space or equipment.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

I've been finishing my workouts with these like a bozo. I will add them to my warm up post haste.

What is your opinion of band dislocations as a upper body warm up?

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    I've been finishing my workouts with these like a bozo. I will add them to my warm up post haste.

What is your opinion of band dislocations as a upper body warm up?
    I like to use them before I perform any sort of over head movement, especially snatches and over head squats. I've seen some suggestions showing they may be damaging to the shoulder, but I think if you do not go beyond the point of pain and use them to supplement a good activation and mobility/stretching program then they are good.

Br

•   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

In to use another of Jason's tips that will undoubtedly give me "WTF" looks at the gym lol.

I usually set up at a cable and do all different directional shoulder moves, but I'm gonna try this Saturday.

Edit: did these today and I couldn't believe how uncomfortable they were. I got good blood flow to my rear delts and was warm for benching.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS

5. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

this will be a good warmup for all pressing movements?

6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Answers

I'm loving your mobility/activation threads.

Just a respectful curiosity, have you considered making one thread and posting all the relevant videos for easy referencing? I think it would be an awesome sticky.

7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy

Just a respectful curiosity, have you considered making one thread and posting all the relevant videos for easy referencing? I think it would be an awesome sticky.
    Just sub to his log in the workout journals forum. They are all in there plus other good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS

8. Pro Virili Parte
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post

http://jasoncholewa.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/zirred/videos?view=0
    https://www.facebook.com/Jason.Chole...al.Performance
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Answers

I appreciate it Josh and Rob. Still finding my way around this site and external links are always appreciated.

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

What's your take on YTWs with really light weight or just bodyweight as warmup Jason? I have taken a habit of doing one massive YTW set of 6 reps of each movement consecutively just BW on an incline bench before my Upper body ME and DE workouts.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    What's your take on YTWs with really light weight or just bodyweight as warmup Jason? I have taken a habit of doing one massive YTW set of 6 reps of each movement consecutively just BW on an incline bench before my Upper body ME and DE workouts.
    This is my warmup as well. Subd for response

12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Its a pretty good basic warm up. I see a lot of people using weight, but there ROM or form is a little compromised, so I would suggest just doing body weight and focusing on scapular activation. If that is all you are doing, however, you are missing some serratus activation exercises. A couple good ideas are forward forearm wall slides or reach rock and rolls. Once I get over this illness and back into the gym I'll record a few serratus ant. activation exercises.

13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Its a pretty good basic warm up. I see a lot of people using weight, but there ROM or form is a little compromised, so I would suggest just doing body weight and focusing on scapular activation. If that is all you are doing, however, you are missing some serratus activation exercises. A couple good ideas are forward forearm wall slides or reach rock and rolls. Once I get over this illness and back into the gym I'll record a few serratus ant. activation exercises.
    That would be mighty helpful Jason thanks! And I definitely agree on the lack of ROM for people trying to use too much weight, I mean even 10lbs are heavy hard to execute properly!
    >SNS-Glycophase<

14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I'll post these here as well for those not following my log.

Below are forearm wall slides, an excellement movement to activate the serratus anterior, especially prior to over head pressing. If you have any sort of winged scapula than these are a must.

15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I use these as both an activation or as a strengthening exercise. Make sure you are using a full ROM - push your shoulder blades apart at the start and then fully retract them at the end of the ROM. Do not let the elbows bend, you might even flex the triceps to prevent that from happening.

16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I use these as both an activation or as a strengthening exercise. Make sure you are using a full ROM - push your shoulder blades apart at the start and then fully retract them at the end of the ROM. Do not let the elbows bend, you might even flex the triceps to prevent that from happening.

Looks rather good to build the top portion of the scapula right below the traps. I'll give them a shot Jason , thanks!
    >SNS-Glycophase<

17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

I've been following all your vids and have made a spot in my regime for all your tips so I appreciate the vids. Keep em coming.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Here is another variation of the forearm wall slide. By altering the placement of the bands to the elbows and wrists you have the athlete (or yourself) activate the external rotator cuff muscle isometrically while activating the scapula as well.

19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Lower trapezius activation and strengthening. An intensified version of the scapula wall slide.

20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Serratus and lower trap activations.

Forcefully protract the scapula, then slide the forearm out as far as possible without losing contact with the floor. Once contact is lost supinate the wrist and lift. Drive the shoulder blades down, do not shrug.

21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Lower and mid trap activation

22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

T-spine extension and rotation mobility. Often times t-spine extension (or lack there of) is partly responsible for difficulty during the standing over head press and completing a pullup without the scapula elevating and the thoracic spine going into kyphosis.

23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Lower trap strengthening.

24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

You can use this as a plyometric/RFD (power) movement, or as an activation prior to over head pressing.

25. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Answers

These are very good exercises for strengthening the shoulder. We use a lot of the band exercises to increase shoulder strength, and do a lot of scapular stab exercise, and exercises with PNF patterns.

26. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  211 lbs.
    Answers

I greatly appreciate all you do here on this forum. Your videos are excellent help for me personally. Your expertise is a blessing here on A.M.
    Keep those vids coming..
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/232784-rushing-into-my.html

Competition bound 2014

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM
  2. 1-test Anabolic/Androgenic activity
    By Bryan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 09:09 PM
  3. Activity Level Of AnabolicMinds.com
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10