Pre workout static stretching

1. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Pre workout static stretching

Another reason why its a no no

Experience in resistance training does not prevent reduction in muscle strength evoked by passive static stretching.

ABSTRACT: This study examined whether passive static stretching reduces the maximum muscle strength achieved by different body segments in untrained and resistance-trained subjects. Twenty adult men were assigned to one of two groups: untrained (UT, N = 9) and resistance-trained (RT, N = 11). The subjects performed six one-repetition maximum load (1RM) tests of the following exercises: horizontal bench press, lat pull-downs, barbell curls, and 45o leg press. The results achieved in the last two 1RM tests were used for statistical analysis. A passive static stretching program was incorporated prior to the sixth 1RM test. The body fat content was significantly higher in the UT group compared to the RT group (P < 0.0001). Moreover, the RT group showed significantly higher proportion of lean body mass compared to the UT group (P < 0.0001). Maximum muscle strength on all four exercises was significantly reduced in both groups after stretching (P < 0.01). Furthermore, the magnitude of muscle strength reduction was similar for the UT and RT groups. The exception was for barbell curls, in which the muscle strength depression was significantly higher in the UT group compared to RT group (P < 0.0001). In conclusion, the passive static stretching program was detrimental to upper and lower body maximal muscle strength performance in several body segments. The negative effects of stretching were similar for subjects participating in resistance training regimens.
    PMID: 23207883
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.78%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Dynamic Stretching better?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Dynamic is better
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.29%

It looks like I'll continue my dynamic stretches.
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%

Re: Pre workout static stretching

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Dynamic Stretching better?
    Yes

Dynamic warm up pre
    Static post
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.78%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Yes

Dynamic warm up pre
    Static post
    Well I've been doing something right at least. I'll add static post then, thanks Josh.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.29%

How about foam rolling preworkout?
  8. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%

research is really limited when it some to foam rolling but personally I foam roll before and after my workouts
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.18%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    research is really limited when it some to foam rolling but personally I foam roll before and after my workouts
    x2. Foam rolling before workouts is definitely beneficial. A number of renowned coaches advocate soft tissue work pre-lifting.

Regarding stretching, dynamic is best pre-workout but if you're exceptionally tight and dynamic stretches and soft tissue work aren't cutting it, static stretching to loosen up is the lesser of two evils between lifting with a compromised muscle and lifting "loose" and slightly weaker for a session. Injury will set you back much farther.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    x2. Foam rolling before workouts is definitely beneficial. A number of renowned coaches advocate soft tissue work pre-lifting.

Regarding stretching, dynamic is best pre-workout but if you're exceptionally tight and dynamic stretches and soft tissue work aren't cutting it, static stretching to loosen up is the lesser of two evils between lifting with a compromised muscle and lifting "loose" and slightly weaker for a session. Injury will set you back much farther.
    I'd agree with this. For instance, having a tight groin before doing squats/deadlifts might be detrimental or even dangerous, and doing some static stretching to get that thing going would be better than not having done anything. However, and maybe I say this from inexperience, but I always feel there's a way to get something loose without resorting to static. I've been surprised at some of the **** people do at my gym.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I'd agree with this. For instance, having a tight groin before doing squats/deadlifts might be detrimental or even dangerous, and doing some static stretching to get that thing going would be better than not having done anything. However, and maybe I say this from inexperience, but I always feel there's a way to get something loose without resorting to static. I've been surprised at some of the **** people do at my gym.
    Yeah, loosening up dynamically is best but static, while inferior, isn't the devil. If you've working on your groin and it just doesn't feel right but a quick butterfly stretch or something gets you ready, stretch it out. Your groin isn't a primary target anyways.

That said, if you can get loose without, then by all means do so.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.88%

Similar Forum Threads

1. Vitamin C Pre-Workout?
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  2. Pre-Workout more important than Post Workout?
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
  3. Pinning: Pre-workout or Post-workout?
    By Greenguy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:10 AM
  4. Pre-Workout meal?
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. pre workout booster
    By goldylight in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 05:49 PM