JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another reason why its a no no

Experience in resistance training does not prevent reduction in muscle strength evoked by passive static stretching.

ABSTRACT: This study examined whether passive static stretching reduces the maximum muscle strength achieved by different body segments in untrained and resistance-trained subjects. Twenty adult men were assigned to one of two groups: untrained (UT, N = 9) and resistance-trained (RT, N = 11). The subjects performed six one-repetition maximum load (1RM) tests of the following exercises: horizontal bench press, lat pull-downs, barbell curls, and 45o leg press. The results achieved in the last two 1RM tests were used for statistical analysis. A passive static stretching program was incorporated prior to the sixth 1RM test. The body fat content was significantly higher in the UT group compared to the RT group (P < 0.0001). Moreover, the RT group showed significantly higher proportion of lean body mass compared to the UT group (P < 0.0001). Maximum muscle strength on all four exercises was significantly reduced in both groups after stretching (P < 0.01). Furthermore, the magnitude of muscle strength reduction was similar for the UT and RT groups. The exception was for barbell curls, in which the muscle strength depression was significantly higher in the UT group compared to RT group (P < 0.0001). In conclusion, the passive static stretching program was detrimental to upper and lower body maximal muscle strength performance in several body segments. The negative effects of stretching were similar for subjects participating in resistance training regimens.
PMID: 23207883

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Dynamic Stretching better?

domore

Awards
It looks like I'll continue my dynamic stretches.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yes

Dynamic warm up pre
Static post
Well I've been doing something right at least. I'll add static post then, thanks Josh.

domore

Awards
How about foam rolling preworkout?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
research is really limited when it some to foam rolling but personally I foam roll before and after my workouts

TexasGuy

Awards
research is really limited when it some to foam rolling but personally I foam roll before and after my workouts
x2. Foam rolling before workouts is definitely beneficial. A number of renowned coaches advocate soft tissue work pre-lifting.

Regarding stretching, dynamic is best pre-workout but if you're exceptionally tight and dynamic stretches and soft tissue work aren't cutting it, static stretching to loosen up is the lesser of two evils between lifting with a compromised muscle and lifting "loose" and slightly weaker for a session. Injury will set you back much farther.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
x2. Foam rolling before workouts is definitely beneficial. A number of renowned coaches advocate soft tissue work pre-lifting.

Regarding stretching, dynamic is best pre-workout but if you're exceptionally tight and dynamic stretches and soft tissue work aren't cutting it, static stretching to loosen up is the lesser of two evils between lifting with a compromised muscle and lifting "loose" and slightly weaker for a session. Injury will set you back much farther.
I'd agree with this. For instance, having a tight groin before doing squats/deadlifts might be detrimental or even dangerous, and doing some static stretching to get that thing going would be better than not having done anything. However, and maybe I say this from inexperience, but I always feel there's a way to get something loose without resorting to static. I've been surprised at some of the **** people do at my gym.

TexasGuy

Awards
I'd agree with this. For instance, having a tight groin before doing squats/deadlifts might be detrimental or even dangerous, and doing some static stretching to get that thing going would be better than not having done anything. However, and maybe I say this from inexperience, but I always feel there's a way to get something loose without resorting to static. I've been surprised at some of the **** people do at my gym.
Yeah, loosening up dynamically is best but static, while inferior, isn't the devil. If you've working on your groin and it just doesn't feel right but a quick butterfly stretch or something gets you ready, stretch it out. Your groin isn't a primary target anyways.

That said, if you can get loose without, then by all means do so.