i say its a great idea. but why do cardio? if you are doing cardio for your cardiovascular system then keep doing it. if you want to do more conditioning then make it specific to benefit your lifting to benefit your bodybuilding. and yes, there will be some crossover benefit.
here are some notes i have on calorie burning and exercise that may help you decide what you want to do:
- Explosive lifting burns more calories than slow lifting. Squats – explosive movement burns 12% more than slow squats
- Eu J Appli Physol 99: 257, 2007
- HIIT builds fitness faster. 30 min @ 60% vs 10x4 @ 90% w/ 2 min rest. Aerobic capacity increased by 13%, fat burning capacity up by 36%, and key aerobic enzymes increased by 25%
- Journal Applied Physilogy, 102: 1439-1447, 2007
- High intensity weight training boosts blood sugar control.
- Strength training increases fat metabolism by stimulating beta-adrenic receptors – cell structures that make adrenaline and increase metabolism and fat use.
- Improves blood sugar metabolism
- Univ. of Montana, led by Andy Miller showed that high intensity/low volume weight training promoted better blood sugar regulation than low intensity/high volume work.
- Journal Strength Conditioning Research, 21: 330-335, 2007