Texas method help

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I have decide that the Texas Method is more my speed for progress in the gym how is this format?

Monday[High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
Squat 5X5
Standing Press 5X5
Bench Press Assistance
Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Wednesday[Low Volume/Low Intensity]
Front Squat 3X3
Back Extensions or GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Friday[Low Volume/High Intensity]
Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1x5
Press Assistance
Deadlift 1X5

My only other questions are how much to increase weekly? And what are the warmups like?

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I copied this off of the Texas method wiki. I wanted to ask what the assistance parts meant. Do press and bench alternate weekly? For press assistance can I use klokov? And for bench can I use close grip? An are they just lighter sets?

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
Oh and finally how to progress on deadlift? Same as SS?

napalm

napalm

Awards
I have decide that the Texas Method is more my speed for progress in the gym how is this format?

Monday[High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
Squat 5X5
Standing Press 5X5
Bench Press Assistance
Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Wednesday[Low Volume/Low Intensity]
Front Squat 3X3
Back Extensions or GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Friday[Low Volume/High Intensity]
Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1x5
Press Assistance
Deadlift 1X5

My only other questions are how much to increase weekly? And what are the warmups like?
As far as increases, I'm conservative so I'd go like 15/month on the big lifts and 5-7 1/2/month on the small lifts. Progress is progress and try to avoid getting hurt.

Warmups are individual, I start w the bar and touch every plate

The power cleans at the end concern me. 5x3 implies you're going heavy, I'd drop the weight after squats and go like 5x7 and use them as an assistance.

Good luck,

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I wanted the rodja guy to chime in cuz he fasts too so I could ask if its possible to progress on this routine while doing a LG recomp. Is there any way to tag him in this?

napalm

napalm

Awards
I wanted the rodja guy to chime in cuz he fasts too so I could ask if its possible to progress on this routine while doing a LG recomp. Is there any way to tag him in this?
There's an amazing new technology called the private message

Learn it
Love it
Use it

Good luck,

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All of your main lifts are pretty high intensity with regards to the % 1rm.

Power cleans should be first in the workout, always. What are you using them for? WRT to powerlifting, I can see their use as a Type II warm up for deads or squats, especially front squats. The way you have then programmed is as an accessory movement, which they certainly are not, and you will get more out of the rows.

What is your movement speed for the different lifts on different days?

Br

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
Using the rows instead. And speed DL on Monday for work with speed

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Power cleans should be first in the workout, always. What are you using them for? WRT to powerlifting, I can see their use as a Type II warm up for deads or squats, especially front squats. The way you have then programmed is as an accessory movement, which they certainly are not, and you will get more out of the rows.

Br
Do you mean that power cleans should be a primary exercise? I've always used them as an accessory lift for shoulder pre-hab and never went heavy (6-8 reps usually), so my question is, do you advocate going heavy and periodizing gains?

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Olympic lifts have a huge speed and technical aspect to them which, in my opinion, makes them fairly dangerous under fatigued conditions. I, and most who have done weighlifting, will propose using them for low reps, using greater amount of sets to add volume and yes periodizing them. All too often, form detriorates which can lead to injury.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you mean that power cleans should be a primary exercise? I've always used them as an accessory lift for shoulder pre-hab and never went heavy (6-8 reps usually), so my question is, do you advocate going heavy and periodizing gains?
Yes, they should be a primary exercise if your goal is to use them for power. You can also use them with lighter loads at the start to a lower body workout as [art of the specific warm up. Either way, doing them fatigued is a recipe for disaster.