Will you gain much size of Strength Training/Powerlifting ?

1. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.85%

Will you gain much size of Strength Training/Powerlifting ?

Long term...

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Name:  strength-sports-powerlifting.png
Views: 11174
Size:  349.2 KB

Why not ask him?
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.85%

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Name:  strength-sports-powerlifting.png
Views: 11174
Size:  349.2 KB

Why not ask him?
    I don't know where he lives
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

My deadlift has gone from 185lbs to 285lbs in meager 4-5 months...You tell me ! And I'm 140~ lol
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    My deadlift has gone from 185lbs to 285lbs in meager 4-5 months...You tell me ! And I'm 140~ lol
    I mean size brah, if you would gain much lbm from strength training/powerlifting
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Stroke UR Ego View Post
    I mean size brah, if you would gain much lbm from strength training/powerlifting
    lol thighs have grown 1.5" and arms went from 14 to 15" and I don't do curls...Lats grew and my obliques and core feel stronger, tighter and denser. Don't know if that helps much for you to decide if it works or not.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Anecdotally, if you look at competitive powerlifters, especially those competing in natural and/or raw events you will see some very impressive physiques, both with regards to muscle size/development and conditioning at the sub 220-242 lbs weight classes.

Is training solely for strength the most efficient way to gain muscle? No, it comes down to specificity. But then, neither is your typical 5 day a week chest, back, arms, BS split.

A [well programmed] mix of strength and hypertrophy training is likely the most efficient way to gain muscle mass. I had really good results when the bodybuilding team I coached was using a modified form of eastern block periodization.

Br
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.36%

Squat/Dead/Bench consistently have added more mass in the past 2 years than the previous 5 where I spun my wheels. My philosophy is once the strength comes...the mass isn't far to follow. Just my 2 cents.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Anecdotally, if you look at competitive powerlifters, especially those competing in natural and/or raw events you will see some very impressive physiques, both with regards to muscle size/development and conditioning at the sub 220-242 lbs weight classes.

Is training solely for strength the most efficient way to gain muscle? No, it comes down to specificity. But then, neither is your typical 5 day a week chest, back, arms, BS split.

A [well programmed] mix of strength and hypertrophy training is likely the most efficient way to gain muscle mass. I had really good results when the bodybuilding team I coached was using a modified form of eastern block periodization.

Br
    I agree with this post...this is the guy that trains me, he just won nationals here in Kileen Texas...

He helps me out with form and partial movements to help the full ROM variations...he aint small at all haha and he has trained strength for his 5 years of experience.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  10. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

Br
    I agree. Those 5 days splits are not the most effective for average lifters. Especially ones that are not lifting hard or eating to fuel their gains.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

There are so many misconceptions about PL'ing out there, but the primary one is the asinine belief that you can't add significant mass to your frame following many of their principles. There is still hypertrophy work in many of the templates out their in addition to the max effort work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    There are so many misconceptions about PL'ing out there, but the primary one is the asinine belief that you can't add significant mass to your frame following many of their principles. There is still hypertrophy work in many of the templates out their in addition to the max effort work.
    This.

If you want the mass gains, you can definitely program it in along with your other strength work. There are certain lifters who through the years have fallen into a certain weight class and want to stay there. These will generally employ less hypertrophy work in order to stay within the right weight class.

However, if you want to grow muscle, you'll add in volume/TUT sessions and eat more, and the muscle will come.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.59%

I've gained more quality , lean mass from heavy compound movements than the classic 5 day split.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.47%

I've been doing Madcows 5x5 for the last 8 weeks and I've definitely noticed some improvements in my physique. In the past I've done mainly bodybuilding style workouts with higher rep ranges (10-15) with good results, but I feel like my chest is responding especially well to this training. Also, I've been keeping track of my weight and I'm up about 4 lbs since I started the program - so strength training can definitely make you grow!
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.4%

5/3/1 with high rep assistance work (periodization bible assistance) = solid gains in strength and size

Or follow one of the powerbuilding routines like DC, for strength and size
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.57%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    5/3/1 with high rep assistance work (periodization bible assistance) = solid gains in strength and size

Or follow one of the powerbuilding routines like DC, for strength and size
    DC worked great for me. If anyone hasn't tried it, consider it
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.28%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I believe you will, but I think it depends at least in part on your genetics. It seems like some people can get stronger without getting much bigger, but other people have to add lots of muscle to get stronger. Personally I'm one of the second type, my bench for instance is around 270, I was at about 150 4 years ago, during that time my "chest" grew from 38" to 44". I put "chest" in quotes because that measurement also includes lats and back. I think someone said that gaining 5 lb of muscle equals a 15% strength increase, sounds about right to me, & I suppose that if you can increase your strength by 15% you're going to add 5 lb of muscle.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

as a general rule of thumb

1-6 reps strength
    6-12 hypertrophy
    over 12 endurance

as you can see most bodybuilders train in the 6-12 rep range. I think its beneficial to train in all of these categories and while I mostly train in the 6-12 rep range, Ill go down to the 3-6 rep range at times because it does help strength. I never go below 3, used to, not anymore.

If you train in the six -twelve rep range change it up for a month or even every other workout for a while, as long as your joints can handle it, to 3-6 reps and I guarantee you'll be stronger when you go back to the 6-12 rep range
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.04%

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton

1-6 reps strength
    6-12 hypertrophy
    over 12 endurance

as you can see most bodybuilders train in the 6-12 rep range. I think its beneficial to train in all of these categories and while I mostly train in the 6-12 rep range, Ill go down to the 3-6 rep range at times because it does help strength. I never go below 3, used to, not anymore.

If you train in the six -twelve rep range change it up for a month or even every other workout for a while, as long as your joints can handle it, to 3-6 reps and I guarantee you'll be stronger when you go back to the 6-12 rep range
    Excellent advice bro
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.94%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post

1-6 reps strength
    6-12 hypertrophy
    over 12 endurance

i used to be a huge believer in following rep ranges for very specific training. last year i decided to train for powerlifting and now i train over a broader range of reps then at any other time. i go between 3-20 each and every workout. with a few workouts that will go from 1 to 50. what does that mean?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

Oops, forgot one of the biggest names worth bringing up in such a topic, maybe the first name everyone should remember when discussing this topic: Stan "the Rhino" Efferding.

865 RAW squat (ok, plus knee wraps, so what?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a670r...layer_embedded
    835 deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmOG...layer_embedded
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Oops, forgot one of the biggest names worth bringing up in such a topic, maybe the first name everyone should remember when discussing this topic: Stan "the Rhino" Efferding.

865 RAW squat (ok, plus knee wraps, so what?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a670r...layer_embedded
    835 deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmOG...layer_embedded
    Dude is also an IFBB pro.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.47%

If we're talking strong IFBB Pros (or just strong dudes in general) look at Johnnie Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8FEFHlInk

Saw him on stage and his back and trap development is just ridiculous - very likely it has something to do with his powerlifting history.
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.72%

Ive gained more muscle powerlifting then I ever did bbing. In my persuit to a bigger total ive added 35lbs to my frame in 2 years.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.57%

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Ive gained more muscle powerlifting then I ever did bbing. In my persuit to a bigger total ive added 35lbs to my frame in 2 years.
    That's awesome. Any specific program?
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.47%

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    Also curious about your programming.
  27. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

Quote Originally Posted by Doss View Post
    Also curious about your programming.
    Westside.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.72%

Quote Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
    As rodja stated, westside.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.57%

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    As rodja stated, westside.
    Very cool. Thank you.

Similar Forum Threads

1. The History of "Strength Training"
    By TheMeatus101 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 02:20 PM
  3. How much STRENGTH did you gain off M1T?
    By Technics in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 09:19 AM
  5. 5 Core Concepts of Strength Training
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 07:52 PM