Seated dumbell shoulder press (without back support)

  1. Senior Member
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    54652
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Seated dumbell shoulder press (without back support)


    Yesterday I has this odd idea to try shoulder presses on a bench without back support and ive diecided that for me, this hits my delts much harder than any time i have done it with back support. Understandably I had to drop the weight i was using by about 1/3 to make the lift possible, however i felt it really isolated and engaged my shoulders, which ive always had trouble doing. I thought it might be worth bringing up so others could try it and give their thoughts.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html

  2. Diamond Member
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,730
    Rep Power
    4928437
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    16.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    I just started doing these and love them. Core stability and delt isolation is insane!

    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  3. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,709
    Rep Power
    5317490
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    98.86%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    I thought it ws always recommended that seated dumbell presses were done without back support
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    From my observations, most people who do any sort of shoulder press with a back support end up turning it into a high incline press.

    Br
  5. New Member
    BigAL46's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    49
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    80.73%

    Hello i do my dumbbell shoulder press standing. Tried seated didn't like it.
  6. New Member
    lamonster14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    14781
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    69.72%

    Why not just go with a standing overhead barbell press?
  7. Senior Member
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    54652
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Ive found that seated is a better way of isolating your shoulders as opposed to standing which is a great compound and functional exersise-I am looking for more isolation as my shoulders need more attention. The other reason i do not do it standing is becuase i have hurt my back in the past and i feel safer doing it seated.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  8. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    Ive found that seated is a better way of isolating your shoulders as opposed to standing which is a great compound and functional exersise-I am looking for more isolation as my shoulders need more attention. The other reason i do not do it standing is becuase i have hurt my back in the past and i feel safer doing it seated.
    Yes, as with the back supported seated presses, standing ones are also often turned into an incline press with an act of extreme lumbar hyperextension.

    Here's a tip. 1. Keep your knees slightly unlocked. 2. Contract your glutes real hard. 3. Contract your abdominals. 4. Finish with the barbell (or DBs) such that the upper arms are inline with the ears.

    Yes, your weights will go down, but you will be using correct technique, reduce the amount of compression on the spinal disks and risk of injury, and get more out of the exercise.

    Br
  9. Senior Member
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    54652
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Yes, as with the back supported seated presses, standing ones are also often turned into an incline press with an act of extreme lumbar hyperextension.

    Here's a tip. 1. Keep your knees slightly unlocked. 2. Contract your glutes real hard. 3. Contract your abdominals. 4. Finish with the barbell (or DBs) such that the upper arms are inline with the ears.

    Yes, your weights will go down, but you will be using correct technique, reduce the amount of compression on the spinal disks and risk of injury, and get more out of the exercise.

    Br
    Thanks Red. I'll give that a go on Thursday. I'll start light and just use it as a warm-up exercise to start with. Would there be any benefit of doing it in the smith machine or will free weights be more beneficial?
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,736
    Rep Power
    1317329
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    Thanks Red. I'll give that a go on Thursday. I'll start light and just use it as a warm-up exercise to start with. Would there be any benefit of doing it in the smith machine or will free weights be more beneficial?
    Free weights to allow a free path for the bar.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  11. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    Thanks Red. I'll give that a go on Thursday. I'll start light and just use it as a warm-up exercise to start with. Would there be any benefit of doing it in the smith machine or will free weights be more beneficial?
    Yes, like Rodja said, free weights. The typical path of the bar in the press runs in an arc. This cannot occur if the trajectory of the weight is locked in place.

    Also, you should look into activation exercises of the scapula fixators (low/mid traps, rhomboids, serratus, etc.) prior to performing the press.

    Br
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Dumbell Shoulder Press?
    By alih92 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
  2. Shoulder press......front or back?
    By maurice02 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 11:42 PM
  3. Smith shoulder press, seat straight or seat slightly angled?
    By Wichard20 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 12:59 AM
  4. BARBELL SHOULDER PRESS ----> FRONT OR BACK
    By QUICKRYDE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 12:56 AM
  5. Hey Bobo your opinion on seated shoulder presses?
    By Chuck in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in