too much protein bad?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%

too much protein bad?

Well, i just got into a huge argument with my aunt and mom, both in the medical fields, saying that by the time I am 30 and 31 I am going to be all messed up with liver/kidney problems.

I roughly consume about 300g (I weigh 210 lbs) of protein a day and work out about 4 to 5 times a week intense.

What are your opinions about this?

I mean, Ive read articles where it is mentioned your muscles will not grow if its less then 100g for body builders and 200 is just about fine and 300 or more is enough to stress out your body and give you problems. Any knowledge or experience on this? It is like everyone wants me to cut back on protein but, how else are you supposed to grow?

2. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

You don't need nearly that much protein. Calories will make you grow, not specifically protein. I doubt you will get one answer in this thread as this is a highly debated subject. You'll just get tons and tons of pages of people arguing back and fourth, posting studies for and against, speculation and opinion.
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

By the way, too much of anything can be bad for you.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    You don't need nearly that much protein. Calories will make you grow, not specifically protein. I doubt you will get one answer in this thread as this is a highly debated subject. You'll just get tons and tons of pages of people arguing back and fourth, posting studies for and against, speculation and opinion.

from what I have researched, I think I agree with you. Like 1.5g to 2g a lb has been ok and it is the calories what make you grow. I mean I wish there was a sure answer lol.
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    from what I have researched, I think I agree with you. Like 1.5g to 2g a lb has been ok and it is the calories what make you grow. I mean I wish there was a sure answer lol.
    I think 1.5 to 2 grams a pound is a little too much. Maybe 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Still though I doubt anyone will come up with a definitive answer. Well maybe definitive in their own mind, but that's about it.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.97%
    Achievements Posting Pro

people can grow muscle with as little as .5gr/lbs of bodyweight as long as enough calories are being taken in and there is enough stimulus to grow.

so will more protein help, maybe. if those extra protein calories push you over the caloric need to allow for growth then yes it will. if you are eating enough fat and carbs to get plenty of carbs then it is not needed.

make sense?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%

ok makes sense! thanks!
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.04%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by willc86
    Well, i just got into a huge argument with my aunt and mom, both in the medical fields, saying that by the time I am 30 and 31 I am going to be all messed up with liver/kidney problems.

I roughly consume about 300g (I weigh 210 lbs) of protein a day and work out about 4 to 5 times a week intense.

What are your opinions about this?

I mean, Ive read articles where it is mentioned your muscles will not grow if its less then 100g for body builders and 200 is just about fine and 300 or more is enough to stress out your body and give you problems. Any knowledge or experience on this? It is like everyone wants me to cut back on protein but, how else are you supposed to grow?
    How old are you? What type of training? How much of your protein is from food and how much is supplemental?

"it's too much" is a lousy answer without knowing any other info. If he wants to gain mass and has no medical conditions then why is 1200 calories a day of mostly food (assumed example) protein a problem? On a 3600 calorie diet it's only 33%. Would be considered low by some.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

agreed with tbone, people stress to much over tryn to consume high amounts of protein. i use the 1g/lean mass method and it works fine. during bulk mode i found that i can get low amounts of pro with high amounts of carbs and still build muscle as long as my body is in a surplus
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    agreed with tbone, people stress to much over tryn to consume high amounts of protein. i use the 1g/lean mass method and it works fine. during bulk mode i found that i can get low amounts of pro with high amounts of carbs and still build muscle as long as my body is in a surplus

awesome.

So it would be ok if I dropped down on protein and maybe get a bit more carbs and fats in (like peanut butter) just to be on the safe side for my kidneys and liver.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

I agree with the sentiment of super high amounts of protein isn't necessary. I'm a college student so my budget is obviously restricted so I have more of a high fat diet with normally 0.7g/lb of protein and I have no problems gaining.

Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post
    How old are you? What type of training? How much of your protein is from food and how much is supplemental?

"it's too much" is a lousy answer without knowing any other info. If he wants to gain mass and has no medical conditions then why is 1200 calories a day of mostly food (assumed example) protein a problem? On a 3600 calorie diet it's only 33%. Would be considered low by some.
    It doesn't matter what % of macros the protein is. That doesn't affect the amount that gets filtered through your kidneys. 300g is 300g.
  12. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.04%

Quote Originally Posted by broda
    I agree with the sentiment of super high amounts of protein isn't necessary. I'm a college student so my budget is obviously restricted so I have more of a high fat diet with normally 0.7g/lb of protein and I have no problems gaining.

It doesn't matter what % of macros the protein is. That doesn't affect the amount that gets filtered through your kidneys. 300g is 300g.
    Oh okay sorry. So to answer the op question, 300g=bad.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Oh okay sorry. So to answer the op question, 300g=bad.
    depends, for the op its not needed but for someone 300lbs then by all means
    www.lgsciences.com
  14. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

depends, for the op its not needed but for someone 300lbs then by all means
    We're talking lean body mass here not total weight, so that would have be one ripped and buff dude.

I mean this guy is 300, so...

Attachment 63008
  15. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

I don't mean to be a wise ass, if it sounded that way. I'm just trying to make a point.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.16%

i guess the sarcasm wasnt obvious in my post, ive already agreed with you in the earlier posts
    www.lgsciences.com
  17. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

i guess the sarcasm wasnt obvious in my post, ive already agreed with you in the earlier posts

Ok I understand now. We are both in agreement then. Cool, great minds think alike.
  18. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.04%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    I don't mean to be a wise ass, if it sounded that way. I'm just trying to make a point.
    I'm not going to bang my head against this forever but the op has people telling him that 300g of protein is unhealthy, will harm kidneys, etc. For a normal, healthy person who works out "intense" as he states, that just is plain nonsense. Does he "need" it, probably not. Will it cause any harm? No. Now he can continue taking their medical field advice and replace his fish and chicken with "healthy" whole grains and wheat.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.93%

tell them to shut it and read this http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...e-for-kidneys/
    I feel 1-1.5g per lb. is all you need but as long as you keep hydrated and aren't slamming ibuprofen or other kidney stressers and have no pre-existing kidney issues, you'll be fine.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=141677741

^ Thread of a guy who went on a cut while only eating ~90g of protein a day on average and went from ~220 to 178 while not losing strength. Pretty much verifies that protein intake is overstated in most aspects.
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.04%

Idk is this is real or not. I hope it's just a joke.
  22. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

Idk is this is real or not. I hope it's just a joke.
    Why would you think it is a joke?
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

i do carb cycling but als take in oer 4000 calssome days.....cals gotta come from somewhere, s do i jsut eat and obscene amount of fats instead of upping protein on low carb days? i dont wanna hurt myself but i love me some protein haha
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    i do carb cycling but als take in oer 4000 calssome days.....cals gotta come from somewhere, s do i jsut eat and obscene amount of fats instead of upping protein on low carb days? i dont wanna hurt myself but i love me some protein haha
    It's up to you really. You just don't need to go nuts on the protein. Personally, before I always hated stressing out about my protein intake and if I was like 20g short of my goal but now I don't sweat it anymore. It's really not a HUGE deal. As long as you're getting your calories and an adequate amount of protein you'll grow.
  25. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.04%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone

Why would you think it is a joke?
    One random guy from an uncontrolled N=1 study doesn't verify anything at all. The OP received opinions from people in the medical field about his protein intake causing health/kidney issues and it turns into this? (that's why)
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%

Quote Originally Posted by broda View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=141677741

^ Thread of a guy who went on a cut while only eating ~90g of protein a day on average and went from ~220 to 178 while not losing strength. Pretty much verifies that protein intake is overstated in most aspects.
    wow interesting. seems its all about calories to make you gain or lose and protein is just enough to just repair tissues and muscles. I might be sticking to 1g a body weight while continuing a 4k calorie diet with peanut butter and carbs like whole wheat pasta and rice

so, pretty much the conclusion is, anyone can grow and/or bulk with 1g protein per body weight as long as the calorie intake is a surplus?

has anyone done an experiment an/or ended up bulking and getting bigger muscle size and cutting once you hit your goal without an excess of protein?
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

One random guy from an uncontrolled N=1 study doesn't verify anything at all. The OP received opinions from people in the medical field about his protein intake causing health/kidney issues and it turns into this? (that's why)
    It's still relevant to the topic. Ok, since mine is only n=1 then show me anything that suggests that taking in 2g/lb of protein over 1g/lb of protein is more beneficial to lifting. I'll wait.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

wow interesting. seems its all about calories to make you gain or lose and protein is just enough to just repair tissues and muscles. I might be sticking to 1g a body weight while continuing a 4k calorie diet with peanut butter and carbs like whole wheat pasta and rice

so, pretty much the conclusion is, anyone can grow and/or bulk with 1g protein per body weight as long as the calorie intake is a surplus?

has anyone done an experiment an/or ended up bulking and getting bigger muscle size and cutting once you hit your goal without an excess of protein?
    In the last month, doing intermittent fasting, I've been recomping while usually only taking in anywhere from 100-120g of protein. Lost in between 1-2% BF while maintaining my weight at ~165.
  29. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.04%

It's still relevant to the topic. Ok, since mine is only n=1 then show me anything that suggests that taking in 2g/lb of protein over 1g/lb of protein is more beneficial to lifting. I'll wait.
    What does being detrimental to health and kidney function have to do with lifting? I guess the actual question wasn't interesting enough to you?
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

ok but at 150 lbs that means idnly be eating 150 protein but i eat 4000 cals......thats ALOT of carbs or ALOT of fats on low carb days
  31. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

It's beneficial bc it tastes good as hell and increases calories.

I personally eat 2-3 lbs of chicken or turkey a day.

Fits macros. Tastes amazing. I'm lean and staying strong
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    It's beneficial bc it tastes good as hell and increases calories.

I personally eat 2-3 lbs of chicken or turkey a day.

Fits macros. Tastes amazing. I'm lean and staying strong
    I'm not criticizing whatsoever. I love protein dense foods more than any other food but eating that much is really harsh on the wallet. I'm in college so I don't exactly have a huge budget. I'm just saying that I hate when people pretty much say you need 1.5 g/lb of protein to grow. I'm just trying to say that it isn't necessary to do so.
  33. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

If you go by NNU by ALR

If you weigh 220 divide by 2.2 = 100kg multiply by .4 = 40 g nitrogen

So 16g nitrogen per 100 g protein. You need 250g protein per day to hit your NNU so that's about 1.15 g per lb of protein

Just sayin
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.46%

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    If you go by NNU by ALR

If you weigh 220 divide by 2.2 = 100kg multiply by .4 = 40 g nitrogen

So 16g nitrogen per 100 g protein. You need 250g protein per day to hit your NNU so that's about 1.15 g per lb of protein

Just sayin

what is NNU

so what is the controversy between 2-3g protein / lb of body weight. Is it really harsh on your liver and can cause problems if you are an athlete that is active?
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.88%

what is NNU

so what is the controversy between 2-3g protein / lb of body weight. Is it really harsh on your liver and can cause problems if you are an athlete that is active?
    Net nitrogen utilization. Personally I didn't really find out too much about it after looking it up aside from which foods have the best values.

Also, *kidneys.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Too much protein for breakfast?
    By hyper24 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
  2. Too Much Protein
    By swangswang in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 12:21 AM
  3. Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....
    By Jag in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 06:15 PM
  4. Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....
    By Jag in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 01:15 AM
  5. too much protein?
    By panman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 12:00 PM