Deep squats hurt knees? - AnabolicMinds.com

Deep squats hurt knees?

  1. New Member
    butrybench555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    80

    Reputation

    Deep squats hurt knees?


    I have been doing squats for month now and I've been doing then where my hamstrings are parallel to the ground. And I got some advice to go down all the way down.. Deep. I have been wondering if that hurt your knees and I've been seeing different answers.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

  2. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    I would post the link but not at 50 posts yet, scroll down some in the exercise science board there is a thread up outlining this question. Hope it helps.
  3. New Member
    GeovanniG's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    60

    Reputation

    Squatting deep is not bad for the knees. In many foreign countries people live there everyday life's squatting deep and they have no knee problems at all.

    What causes knee problems is squatting with bad form.
    Be sur to visit my site at http://maxweights.blogspot.com/ (copy and paste)
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    butrybench555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    80

    Reputation

    Thank you guys

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  5. New Member
    firefirefire's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    32

    Reputation

    Also get some knee wraps if you're concerned about your knees. I tore my meniscus years ago, and If I squat without them my knee hurts. If I wear them it doesn't hurt at all.
  6. Banned
    epstaneman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Great advice already given. With everything else said I would just add that if you still experience pain, your likely lifting too heavy. Quit trying to be macho man in the gym and do what's best for your body.
  7. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by GeovanniG View Post
    Squatting deep is not bad for the knees. In many foreign countries people live there everyday life's squatting deep and they have no knee problems at all.

    What causes knee problems is squatting with bad form.
    While this is true, people from different countries have different genetics, and some of these allow for more comfortable deep squating; as such as people from asian decent who have differnt bone structures than people from the western world.

    Squatting to where the Femur (thigh bone) is at 90 degrees to the floor is often the best. Dropping to low can be bad if your bone structure won't allow you to do it comfortably, and typically this is where the bad form comes into it, with knees buckling and so on. Go to 90 dgrees
  8. Advanced Member
    HondaV65's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    2266

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    While this is true, people from different countries have different genetics, and some of these allow for more comfortable deep squating; as such as people from asian decent who have differnt bone structures than people from the western world.
    I did find some information that the knee bone structure of Asians is different ...


    http://www.knowabouthealth.com/colum...-implant/3649/

    • the medio-lateral dimension of the knee joint in the western population is significantly more than their Asian counterparts
    • the bones of Indian people are narrower compared to the conventional knee implants.
    That's all Greek to me - and I'm not sure if those differences actually enable Asians to squat deeper more safely than the rest of the planet or not. Do you have any more info on this?
  9. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    While this is true, people from different countries have different genetics, and some of these allow for more comfortable deep squating; as such as people from asian decent who have differnt bone structures than people from the western world.

    Squatting to where the Femur (thigh bone) is at 90 degrees to the floor is often the best. Dropping to low can be bad if your bone structure won't allow you to do it comfortably, and typically this is where the bad form comes into it, with knees buckling and so on. Go to 90 dgrees
    I would have to disagree here. Recommending that the squat be limited to 90 degrees due to your aforementioned criteria is putting a bandaid on the problem (ie. improper form, muscular imbalance, inflexibility, ego and overloading weight, etc.). Doing this will only further the underlying cause and allow for it to go unattended to. Without proper attention this has the potential to lead into to debilitating imbalances and injury. What should be done is the individual should seek proper hands on advice in order to deal with the problem instead of just bandaiding it. As a side note when improper form, imbalances, inflexibility, poor motor control, and ego, as limiting factors, come into play the squat is often affected the moment hip flexion is initiated.
  10. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    I would have to disagree here. Recommending that the squat be limited to 90 degrees due to your aforementioned criteria is putting a bandaid on the problem (ie. improper form, muscular imbalance, inflexibility, ego and overloading weight, etc.). Doing this will only further the underlying cause and allow for it to go unattended to. Without proper attention this has the potential to lead into to debilitating imbalances and injury. What should be done is the individual should seek proper hands on advice in order to deal with the problem instead of just bandaiding it. As a side note when improper form, imbalances, inflexibility, poor motor control, and ego, as limiting factors, come into play the squat is often affected the moment hip flexion is initiated.
    Not if the problem is not muscular based. You cannot 'fix' your bone structure. As I said, it can be bad if your bone structure won't allow you to do it comfortably; some people simply cannot deep squat. If they simply can't because of inflexibility, muscualr balance or bad form, these can be rectified. But I wasnt contesting the OP's question, I was just pointing out that different ethnicities have differing skeletal structures which allow them greater ROM in the squat.

    That being said though, I would still only recommend going to 90 degrees. I think you completly misread my response; I didnt once mention muscular imbalances, nor was I giving advice on how to rectify them.
  11. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

    Not if the problem is not muscular based. You cannot 'fix' your bone structure. As I said, it can be bad if your bone structure won't allow you to do it comfortably; some people simply cannot deep squat. If they simply can't because of inflexibility, muscualr balance or bad form, these can be rectified. But I wasnt contesting the OP's question, I was just pointing out that different ethnicities have differing skeletal structures which allow them greater ROM in the squat.

    That being said though, I would still only recommend going to 90 degrees. I think you completly misread my response; I didnt once mention muscular imbalances, nor was I giving advice on how to rectify them.
    What aspect of a healthy bone structure, regardless of ethnicity, with no handicaps are you referring to? How would squatting to only 90 degrees benefit? How would going further into flexion be of detriment? I understand your point as far as ethnicity and bone structures being more apt to remaining in deep flexion for extensive periods of time. That is not what was in question.

    Your post outside of that made a statement that 90 degrees is best and that in my opinion is false, for a number of reasons. You also had stated that going below 90 degrees is where buckling at the knees, etc. occurs, and to avoid going below 90 degrees for that reason. This is where my disagreement lies. My post was arguing that if deviations in form and/or lack of comfort occurs, reasons you argue for only 90 degrees, most often they are indications of the problems previously stated in my above post. When this isn't the case there is usually an underlying physiological reasoning that squatting only to 90 degrees will not resolve.
  12. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    While this is true, people from different countries have different genetics, and some of these allow for more comfortable deep squating; as such as people from asian decent who have differnt bone structures than people from the western world.

    Squatting to where the Femur (thigh bone) is at 90 degrees to the floor is often the best. Dropping to low can be bad if your bone structure won't allow you to do it comfortably, and typically this is where the bad form comes into it, with knees buckling and so on. Go to 90 dgrees
    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    What aspect of a healthy bone structure, regardless of ethnicity, with no handicaps are you referring to? How would squatting to only 90 degrees benefit? How would going further into flexion be of detriment? I understand your point as far as ethnicity and bone structures being more apt to remaining in deep flexion for extensive periods of time. That is not what was in question.

    Your post outside of that made a statement that 90 degrees is best and that in my opinion is false, for a number of reasons. You also had stated that going below 90 degrees is where buckling at the knees, etc. occurs, and to avoid going below 90 degrees for that reason. This is where my disagreement lies. My post was arguing that if deviations in form and/or lack of comfort occurs, reasons you argue for only 90 degrees, most often they are indications of the problems previously stated in my above post. When this isn't the case there is usually an underlying physiological reasoning that squatting only to 90 degrees will not resolve.
    If you read the part I bolded in its entirety, it would make more sense. If you cannnot do something properly, due to structural reasons, not muscular reasons, then why push yourself further past 90? I wasnt saying DONT do it, but if you bone structure wont allow you to, then you simply cannot. I think maybe my response was misinterpreted.
  13. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Agree to disagree
  14. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    And yes, squatting deep will transfer most of the forces to the hips, rather than at the knee which is better considering the knees cannot handle as much force as the hips can. So squatting deeper will assist that.

    Be interesting to hear what my physiologist tutor has to say; he is always stating to make sure the Femur is at parallel.
  15. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33557

    Reputation

    If it bothers you dont do it. I have always squatting ass to floor and had no situations with it. It could be how your built Im tall and flexible so my body allows me to really go all the way down fine
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Agree to disagree
    True, but your post got me thinking. So hmmm, time to hit PubMed or something.

    It seems going to rock bottom makes more sense... i'll have to question the physiologist on this one.
  17. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

    i'll have to question the physiologist on this one.
    On my way to an MS, you already have.
  18. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    On my way to an MS, you already have.
    Haha, nice job. Thanks for clearing that up. i'll forward what you said onto the guy I know; i'd love to see his response or reasoning to why he said only 90 degrees.
  19. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Thank you. I'd be interested to hear his reasonings as well, if it's arguing for strictly 90 and no further. Shoot me a pm with what he has to say. Good talking discussing this with you, always in for a educated discussion.
  20. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Thank you. I'd be interested to hear his reasonings as well, if it's arguing for strictly 90 and no further. Shoot me a pm with what he has to say. Good talking discussing this with you, always in for a educated discussion.
    Yeah I sure will, I emailed him and he's pencilled me in for wednesday so I'll shoot you a pm around then
  21. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35036

    Reputation

    For what its worth, I have terrible knees, and they actually feel better after doing deep squats. While I don't go ATG, I go pretty close, well below parallel. I used to a little deeper, but I have a sciatica problem and if my knees get to close to my chest there is a sharp pain. This also prevents me from doing even light leg presses.
  22. New Member
    Vitaly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    37

    Reputation

    NYiron, It is very nice of u NY to give the man instructions.
    But, funny, it reminded me of a joke - a letter to mom:
    "Dear mom. I know u do not read well; so I will write SLOWLY". :-)
    Just curious: do u know that u could type the address ?
  23. New Member
    Vitaly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    37

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by butrybench555 View Post
    ..... I've been seeing different answers.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    You are already satisfied with just TWO answers ????
    Are these 2 posts any different then what u have read ?
    How is your deep squating now ?
  24. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaly
    NYiron, It is very nice of u NY to give the man instructions.
    But, funny, it reminded me of a joke - a letter to mom:
    "Dear mom. I know u do not read well; so I will write SLOWLY". :-)
    Just curious: do u know that u could type the address ?
    Excuse me? I'm missing what you are getting at as far as the joke. Also what address am I typing?
  25. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,191
    Rep Power
    3319960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    ^ I was thinking the same thing haha wtf.

    I actually talked to guy (not the one who made the comment on 90 degrees) and hes been telling me that he prefers it if you can get full ROM in movements where possible to do so. When I told him that the other physiologist had a differing oppinion on where to stop, he wouldnt comment on it (probably because it was his boss).

    So anyway, thanks for the insight, cleared things up for me; deep squats it is.
  26. Advanced Member
    broda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    24699

    Reputation

    Love myself deep squats. When I do high bar I go down until my thighs hit my calves.
  27. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    ^ I was thinking the same thing haha wtf.

    I actually talked to guy (not the one who made the comment on 90 degrees) and hes been telling me that he prefers it if you can get full ROM in movements where possible to do so. When I told him that the other physiologist had a differing oppinion on where to stop, he wouldnt comment on it (probably because it was his boss).

    So anyway, thanks for the insight, cleared things up for me; deep squats it is.
    Hahaha I dont believe he really knew what he was saying either. Based off of both of his posts, in here, the one to me and the second to butrybench, neither had anything to do with what either butrybench or I had said.

    Anytime, you are very welcome.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Are Deep Squats Bad for your Knees
    By anoopbal in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
  2. Popping knees on deep squat??
    By 1517 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
  3. Squat and knee pain
    By leon187 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 08:36 PM
  4. Squats and knees
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 09:37 PM
  5. Benefits of deep squatting on knees...
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in