HIIT - AnabolicMinds.com

HIIT

  1. New Member
    kdouthit34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    34

    HIIT


    Can anyone explain exactly what the benefits are and the best way to do it? Im not much of a sprinter, but I've heard great things about it and am looking to cut this excess pudge off my lower abs. Dieting and my ab circuit have only gotten me so far.

  2. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    103036

    Quote Originally Posted by kdouthit34
    Can anyone explain exactly what the benefits are and the best way to do it? Im not much of a sprinter, but I've heard great things about it and am looking to cut this excess pudge off my lower abs. Dieting and my ab circuit have only gotten me so far.
    http://www.laststopfatloss.com/the-b...aining-routine

    There are some examples in there

  3. New Member
    Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    8627

    I actually spent some time talking with my Active Release Therapist about this earlier this week. He explained to me that his understanding is this:

    Look at the differences in muscularity between Olympic runners who run less than 400 meters, and those who run over 800. The shorter distance sprinters generally have much better muscular development. This is because high intensity bursts near your 100% mark cause a surge of GH in your system that can last for up to 3 hours (that is, if you don't consume a large amount of sugar post-workout) and that extra GH can help increase your muscle size.

    High intensity sprinting recruits a ton of muscle all over your body. The core, shoulders, arms...basically everything has to tense to some degree so that you can keep your balance.

    What I took from talking with him is that if you're doing sprint work HIIT style, make sure you keep the high intensity segments short enough so that you're exerting at as near to 100% for as much of the time as possible. Usually no longer than 20 seconds for the sprints. I'm sure some people will disagree, and you'll have to be the judge of how well you respond, but my therapist used to compete and he's still a pretty big guy.

    I usually get nice and warm, then sprint all out for 12-15 seconds, walk for 30, all out for 12-15, walk for 30. Do this for 5 minutes and I consider it a set. I usually do about 7 sets.

    Maybe that will get you started.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.

    •   
       

  4. New Member
    JReinhal's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    219
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    34240

    Quote Originally Posted by Doss
    I actually spent some time talking with my Active Release Therapist about this earlier this week. He explained to me that his understanding is this:

    Look at the differences in muscularity between Olympic runners who run less than 400 meters, and those who run over 800. The shorter distance sprinters generally have much better muscular development. This is because high intensity bursts near your 100% mark cause a surge of GH in your system that can last for up to 3 hours (that is, if you don't consume a large amount of sugar post-workout) and that extra GH can help increase your muscle size.

    High intensity sprinting recruits a ton of muscle all over your body. The core, shoulders, arms...basically everything has to tense to some degree so that you can keep your balance.

    What I took from talking with him is that if you're doing sprint work HIIT style, make sure you keep the high intensity segments short enough so that you're exerting at as near to 100% for as much of the time as possible. Usually no longer than 20 seconds for the sprints. I'm sure some people will disagree, and you'll have to be the judge of how well you respond, but my therapist used to compete and he's still a pretty big guy.

    I usually get nice and warm, then sprint all out for 12-15 seconds, walk for 30, all out for 12-15, walk for 30. Do this for 5 minutes and I consider it a set. I usually do about 7 sets.

    Maybe that will get you started.
    Good information. Thanks for sharing!

  5. New Member
    kdouthit34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by Doss
    I actually spent some time talking with my Active Release Therapist about this earlier this week. He explained to me that his understanding is this:

    Look at the differences in muscularity between Olympic runners who run less than 400 meters, and those who run over 800. The shorter distance sprinters generally have much better muscular development. This is because high intensity bursts near your 100% mark cause a surge of GH in your system that can last for up to 3 hours (that is, if you don't consume a large amount of sugar post-workout) and that extra GH can help increase your muscle size.

    High intensity sprinting recruits a ton of muscle all over your body. The core, shoulders, arms...basically everything has to tense to some degree so that you can keep your balance.

    What I took from talking with him is that if you're doing sprint work HIIT style, make sure you keep the high intensity segments short enough so that you're exerting at as near to 100% for as much of the time as possible. Usually no longer than 20 seconds for the sprints. I'm sure some people will disagree, and you'll have to be the judge of how well you respond, but my therapist used to compete and he's still a pretty big guy.

    I usually get nice and warm, then sprint all out for 12-15 seconds, walk for 30, all out for 12-15, walk for 30. Do this for 5 minutes and I consider it a set. I usually do about 7 sets.

    Maybe that will get you started.
    Very good info. Thanks. I'm not sure I'm up to do 7 sets of 5 mins just yet lol. But I do like the way you have that configured for 1 set. I'll have to give it a shot. The one I just recently started is sprint 40 yds and take a 30-45 second break rather than walk it off for a few seconds. I guess it makes sense that keeping the heart rate up would work better.

  6. New Member
    Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    8627

    Quote Originally Posted by kdouthit34 View Post
    I guess it makes sense that keeping the heart rate up would work better.
    I think it depends on your preference. I think there are benefits both ways, but it is probably a bigger shock to your system when you stop completely...the increased shock might even result in a higher fat burning/endocrin response by your body!
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.

  7. New Member
    rambofireball's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    290
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    12240

    Quote Originally Posted by Doss View Post
    I usually get nice and warm, then sprint all out for 12-15 seconds, walk for 30, all out for 12-15, walk for 30. Do this for 5 minutes and I consider it a set. I usually do about 7 sets.
    Man, you're a cardiovascular beast! I do fasted 15-20 minute HIIT sessions first thing in the AM on a 20/40 second split, and by the end I'm totally toast, can barely walk back to my car lol.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. To HIIT or Not to HIIT?????
    By Rican4lfe in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 09:04 AM
  2. How's my HIIT & SFP?
    By b18cyaaa in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
  3. Hiit
    By borneagain in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 10:27 AM
  4. Hiit
    By CorpKiller in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in