Cardio

  1. Registered User
    mobman81's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    34

    Cardio


    Should you do cardio before or after you workout?

  2. Registered User
    doodoo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    42210

    I do carrdio after workout. You can do a couple minutes before to get blood flowing. But Im cutting right now and somethin about depleting calories so when you do cardio after workout, it targets fat better.
  3. Registered User
    mobman81's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by doodoo
    I do carrdio after workout. You can do a couple minutes before to get blood flowing. But Im cutting right now and somethin about depleting calories so when you do cardio after workout, it targets fat better.
    Thx!
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    SAK2100's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    61

    Quote Originally Posted by doodoo
    I do carrdio after workout. You can do a couple minutes before to get blood flowing. But Im cutting right now and somethin about depleting calories so when you do cardio after workout, it targets fat better.
    This ^
  5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kiwi in the United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,171
    Rep Power
    194004

    Quote Originally Posted by mobman81 View Post
    Should you do cardio before or after you workout?
    It's YOUR choice.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. HAM
    HAM is offline
    Registered User
    HAM's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    30

    I would do it before because your cortisol is spiked up after a workout you don't want to risk your body going catabolic for energy
  7. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Quote Originally Posted by HAM
    I would do it before because your cortisol is spiked up after a workout you don't want to risk your body going catabolic for energy
    Your cortisol will also go up after a cardio session. So either way you end up in the same potential situation. Really, as long as you are keeping your overall workout to 1.5hrs or less you should be fine.

    OP: I like to do it after this way I am not fatigued for my lifting.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  8. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,057
    Rep Power
    3301217

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Your cortisol will also go up after a cardio session. So either way you end up in the same potential situation. Really, as long as you are keeping your overall workout to 1.5hrs or less you should be fine.

    OP: I like to do it after this way I am not fatigued for my lifting.
    This.
    The word catabolic is thrown away waaaay to much. Catabolism is whats needed to break down certain nutrients for use as energy. This doesnt have to come from muscle (as is commonly believed that cardio will do) as long as your overall food intake matches your calorie expenditure. Or -500 +500kcalsdepending on goals. What you want however is for your body to be in more of an anabolic state during rest periods and things.
    This will mean you grow.

    Still though, after or before, which ever suits you and which ever works for you is fine.
  9. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    95209

    for most people it just doesnt matter. and why not have cardio as part of your lifting? like do 10x10 on squats and tell me how you heart feels.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  10. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Surfside Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297847

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    This.
    The word catabolic is thrown away waaaay to much. Catabolism is whats needed to break down certain nutrients for use as energy. This doesnt have to come from muscle (as is commonly believed that cardio will do) as long as your overall food intake matches your calorie expenditure. Or -500 +500kcalsdepending on goals. What you want however is for your body to be in more of an anabolic state during rest periods and things.
    This will mean you grow.

    Still though, after or before, which ever suits you and which ever works for you is fine.
    ^^^^This.

    Cortisol during a workout is a GOOD thing. Excessive cortisol at rest due to over training and stress is a BAD thing.

    Cortisol while training is good. Cortisol while resting is bad.

    Say it with me one more time....................

    Br
  11. Registered User
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toy Town
    Posts
    5,318
    Rep Power
    954755

    after lifting is better
    I Force Anabolic Minion, Eat, Train, Grow
    Iforcenutrition.com
  12. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    ^^^^This.

    Cortisol during a workout is a GOOD thing. Excessive cortisol at rest due to over training and stress is a BAD thing.

    Cortisol while training is good. Cortisol while resting is bad.

    Hit me baby one more time....................

    Br

    I didn't know you were a Brittany Spears fan.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  13. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Surfside Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297847

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I didn't know you were a Brittany Spears fan.
    LOL
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central U.S.
    Posts
    5,172
    Rep Power
    622615

    Matt Perryman has a really good blog on the acute effects of hormones during a workout. I'll try to link if I can find it.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

  15. Registered User
    LITERaCOLA's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    327
    Rep Power
    20794

    to keep your size i'd say after. it depends on what your goal is.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. Cardio ?
    By culversguy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 08:36 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
  5. N.O. with cardio?
    By miilkbone in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in