Put it in reverse!

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
So among the many set x rep schemes I've tried since I started working out my must recent is the reverse pyramid style. Basically instead of lowering reps and adding weight you do the opposite and lower weight and raise reps. I've noticed I get better pumps, utilize less rest, and ultimately I am seeing some good results thus far. Anybody else tried this out? I'm noticing that it gives me good strength gains while also giving me some muscular endurance gains which helps for my own goals and PT!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i cant believe more people dont do this. pyramiding up in weight just seems like you only wear yourself out before you even get heavy and thus never truly hit the type I muscle fibers. it just seems ass backwards to me.

so yes i have done this. nearly everyone i train with does this. and some of those guys are national level strongman competitors.

Thepaul7

Awards
Agreed. The reverse rep scheme works great and I think its more effective for me than the traditional way.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, the reverse pyramid works fine. I still do a few warmup sets using low reps and ramping up the weight though, loosens me up, helps me focus on being explosive, but doesn't wear me out since I'm keeping the reps low.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think it's a pretty standard method to use for powerlifters during a max effort cycle. I've done it before, liked it, and it's pretty necessary in that if you don't include it you don't see as good of progress. But I don't train powerlifting anymore yet, hoping to soon.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Yeah, the reverse pyramid works fine. I still do a few warmup sets using low reps and ramping up the weight though, loosens me up, helps me focus on being explosive, but doesn't wear me out since I'm keeping the reps low.
Well of course! I always do some warm ups before each exercise. Lol it's good to know I'm not the only one that likes this!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When pyramiding up (effectively) each set should be a portion of max effort, i.e.: stopping 2 reps shy of failure. Its also more effective when using higher intensities (% of 1rm) versus hypertrophy ranges (6-10).

Br

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
When pyramiding up (effectively) each set should be a portion of max effort, i.e.: stopping 2 reps shy of failure. Its also more effective when using higher intensities (% of 1rm) versus hypertrophy ranges (6-10).

Br
Aaargh d*mn you ZiR and your science! :p