when does your body target muscle for fuel? - AnabolicMinds.com

when does your body target muscle for fuel?

1. New Member

when does your body target muscle for fuel?

Hi, I am going to start cutting pretty soon; I am almost 210, so I want to lose some body fat, then bulk again. I been trying to figure out the science behind fuel consumption for your body, but I keep getting different answers.

I know your body uses carbs and sugars first, then fat, then muscle; but carbs and fat is used at the same time like 60% carbs, 40% fat.
    So, when does muscle start acting up as fuel? and how does it happen?

2. New Member

bump anyone?
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

There is always a continuum of substrate being burned for fuel and is mainly determined you ratio of CO2 and O2. The smaller the ratio, the higher percentage of fuel is coming from fat and the higher the ratio, the more carbs/glucose are being used for fuel. Chances are that you won't be burning fat while training unless you are severely depleted and training for hours.

Now, as far as when does muscle tissue start to be catalyzed, that is something that is very difficult to answer, but it is mainly determined by how much of a caloric deficit that you are in while cutting.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. New Member

so in other words, fat is being used very little as fuel? Like lets say I go biking for about an hour, my body will burn mostly carbs and fat as a minimum?
  5. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    so in other words, fat is being used very little as fuel? Like lets say I go biking for about an hour, my body will burn mostly carbs and fat as a minimum?
    It's not as simple as that. Depends on how much carbs you've eaten in the recent past (i.e. liver and muscle glycogen levels) and the intensity of exertion on the bike.

Realistically, it's not practical to attempt such calculations. Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit with plenty of protein, lift hard, do your conditioning work and you'll lose fat. You won't lose excessive muscle if your diet is right.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

You also need to look at an entire day or more, not just during that one hour of training.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    It's not as simple as that. Depends on how much carbs you've eaten in the recent past (i.e. liver and muscle glycogen levels) and the intensity of exertion on the bike.

Realistically, it's not practical to attempt such calculations. Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit with plenty of protein, lift hard, do your conditioning work and you'll lose fat. You won't lose excessive muscle if your diet is right.
    This. It's fun lab stuff, but has very little bearing as far as real-world training goes since the only rough estimate we can use is HR and there is a big amount of error within that.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. New Member

ok so the whole main point when I start cutting is over all ----after burn effect and consume less carbs then I normally would in a bulking phase and just do some cardio? That would get rid of some fat?

and what is "HR"

thanks guys =)
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    ok so the whole main point when I start cutting is over all ----after burn effect and consume less carbs then I normally would in a bulking phase and just do some cardio? That would get rid of some fat?

and what is "HR"

thanks guys =)
    Overall is calories burned>calories consumed will cause fat loss.

HR=Heart Rate
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift target achieved - time for a new target
    By CrazyBassGuy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
  2. For Sale: Muscle Pharm Battle Fuel (Muscle Builders)
    By allenzo in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 12:38 AM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM
  4. Super Set by Body Fuel anyone know of it?
    By mouth16 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 06:56 PM