Overtraining..Knowing when to take a break

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.14%

Overtraining..Knowing when to take a break

This is a tough one for me.My return from retirement is one year now and during that time I have not taken more than 2 days off in a row.I am very careful to get 5 days rest between muscle groups,proper nutrition and at least 8 hours sleep.I have made tremendous gains in size,stregnth and fat loss in that time.As of late I feel like I got hit by a bus after I train.I relish the feeling because I now I did something to stimulate growth.I still feel a little sore 5 days later and the stregnth has dropped off (but this could be due to the fact I lost alot of fat and bodyweight)I do not have the typical overtraining symptoms ie:restless,raised metabolic rate,lack of appetite none of that..

So how would I know for sure,I hate to take time off if it will not benefit me..Are there any new studies on this subject.
    I know this term gets thrown around like a case of gyno in the pro-hormone section,but any scientific info would be appreciated..

One side note I have been craving salt as of late,dont know if it means anything,just thought I would throw that out there.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.55%

Well I know in my case, I was told by the Dr, that I may feel crappy( train hitting) which I do feel, after I train!, and not to push it......for me it's the whole medical thing going on, and I am trying to push through it....I like you have lost alot of weight, bodyfat, etc....Although until tonight, my strength was still there, ( until tonight).......So perhaps it's the medical end of what you went through, even thought it was caught early for you, it still has to affected you somehow........ Mine is the never hungry, barfing when I do eat, no energy, large circles under eyes!!!! LOL a walking 5'11 raccoon......( if i dont make fun of myself I will cry).....

Maybe take a day off once a week? I know it is suggested to take a week off from time to time? Maybe try that!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth, thanks for the PM, I am trying....
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

I like to take a full week of every 3 months or so, and often find my strength has improved as a result. Sorry its not scientific but seems to work for me.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 200wannabe
    I like to take a full week of every 3 months or so, and often find my strength has improved as a result. Sorry its not scientific but seems to work for me.
    Actually it is scientific, called Repeat Bout Effect, expressed in layman's terms better as diminishing returns. Bryan Haycock's got a lot on this on his HST website including cites for the studies. They basically indicate that for most gains in size tend to top out after 8 weeks or so. Your muscle reaches a level of conditioning from which it's hard to illicit more growth. You will gain if you keep going, but it'll be slow going. Best thing to do is crash for 9-14 days and then start training again. He calls that Strategic Deconditioning, and it's generally agreed by those who use HST that it's one of the most valuable insights of the method.
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.14%

Thanks guys,and gal's Good stuff..Maybe a week off is a good idea,Wrangle PM me anytime you feel the need. I try to do alot of research on my own and if there is anyway I can help it would be a privilege..You just keep fighting
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.19%

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Thanks guys,and gal's Good stuff..Maybe a week off is a good idea,Wrangle PM me anytime you feel the need. I try to do alot of research on my own and if there is anyway I can help it would be a privilege..You just keep fighting
    My experience so far, take the two weeks. It's nice to just concentrate on diet during that time, and you'll be surprised at your energy level and the quickness of the gains when you come back after the break. It truly is eye opening.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.35%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Actually it is scientific, called Repeat Bout Effect, expressed in layman's terms better as diminishing returns. Bryan Haycock's got a lot on this on his HST website including cites for the studies. They basically indicate that for most gains in size tend to top out after 8 weeks or so. Your muscle reaches a level of conditioning from which it's hard to illicit more growth. You will gain if you keep going, but it'll be slow going. Best thing to do is crash for 9-14 days and then start training again. He calls that Strategic Deconditioning, and it's generally agreed by those who use HST that it's one of the most valuable insights of the method.
    I was just about to go there

Even before I started HST style training, I always took off 1 week about every 8 weeks or so.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.8%

I try and take a week off every couple of months. I am almost always stronger when I return.
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.14%

Week off it is..probably the best thing I can do right now..A whole year without a break...My CNS will heal too..Thanks all I think I kinda new I needed a break I was just looking for some reinforcement...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.93%

My approach to overtraining, as a fully natural trainee of over 10 years' experience, is such :

I don't think of overtraining in terms of months or weeks, but in day-by-day terms, meaning that I may go on doing a 3on/1off split for weeks on end, then suddenly skip one day, or more, then go back to it, or sometimes train without an on/off day pattern at all. Here's how I decide such things :

Firstly, the heart rate at waking time is very important as a measure of your metabolism. If, for example, your HR at waking up is 55 bpm WHEN FULLY AND WELL RESTED, then if one morning you wake up and measure it and it is 70, THEN YOU ARE ALMOST CERTAINLY IN AN OVERTRAINED STATE. Skip that day's workout and begin the process again the next day.

Secondly, if you have trained HARD and regularly for over 12 weeks you NEED A REST. That point has been made above and it is spot-on. Such rests are NEEDED for continued, fully natural growth.

Thirdly, if you are having excessive stress, or can't sleep well, or have a cold, a flu, don't feel your normal level of energy, you may or may not be in an overtrained state. KNOW that these times are the hardest to tell the difference between needing a workout to get rid of the stress or somesuch and being simply overtrained.

KNOW also that if you aren't overtrained and skip training, and even maybe go to bed early and take a double dose of melatonin, valerian and L-Ornithine just to make sure you have an extremely regenerative night's sleep, then you are very probably doing yourself a LOT of good, and very certainly not hurting yourself or your gains. KNOW also finally that if you ignore that feeling and just push on, you are very possibly wronging yourself, wasting some of your gains, putting yourself at increased risk of injury and of catching something, which would of course only impair your ability to gain further.

When in doubt, REST

Similar Forum Threads

1. How to know when to take a SERM
    By unkind in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 11:12 PM
  2. Cycle Break- When to take a week off?
    By srx600 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM
  3. when to take the anarchy stack?
    By cookmic5 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 10:49 AM
  4. 6oxo,when to take
    By athlete in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 02:35 PM
  5. when to take 6oxo