how many sets per exercise and workout?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Just wondering what u guys think. Lots guys train 4 sets per exercise n many train 3. Is there any particular difference when it comes to your goals. I normally do 4 sets for exercises like deads, lunges, incline bench n areas that need extra strengthening. Three sets for typical bodybuilding. What do u guys think saying your goal is adding maximum size? Also how many sets per workout I normally range 18-22.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Sounds like alot to me since I've scaled back and took the less is more approach I've seen some good gains
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

way less bro. 3 or 2 sets. failure and negatives on the last. less sets and more intensity. youtube some dorian yates and watch how he worked out, he is not a liar like Arnold
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

let me be clear 3 or 2 sets per exercise. say for your chest probably around 7-10 total sets. but at a much higher intenstity/failure. this is for mass and strength
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan
    let me be clear 3 or 2 sets per exercise. say for your chest probably around 7-10 total sets. but at a much higher intenstity/failure. this is for mass and strength
    So then how many sets per workout in your opinion is optimal for size saying you train to body parts day. For example how.many sets doing hams/calves /back?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    So then how many sets per workout in your opinion is optimal for size saying you train to body parts day. For example how.many sets doing hams/calves /back?
    I dont like doing to major bodyparts at once, i like to do like a chest/triceps, and for that it be a total of like 11-13 sets. 7-9 on chest and 4 or 5 triceps.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

I dont like doing to major bodyparts at once, i like to do like a chest/triceps, and for that it be a total of like 11-13 sets. 7-9 on chest and 4 or 5 triceps.
    And you would do this once every ___ days?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Hypertrophy seems to be directly related to volume - whether that volume is in a single workout or over the course of several workouts.

Rather than a steady state approach, I suggest you take a positive linear approach. In that, increase your volume over the course of 5 weeks, the 6th week reduce volume significantly and increase intensity (this is when you take things to failure and do negatives), then take an unloading week, and repeat.

Br
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

if i did chest/tri on a monday id probably end up doing it again on saturday. you gotta see how your body feels. if your trying to gain size you do not want to overtrain.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Hypertrophy seems to be directly related to volume - whether that volume is in a single workout or over the course of several workouts.

Rather than a steady state approach, I suggest you take a positive linear approach. In that, increase your volume over the course of 5 weeks, the 6th week reduce volume significantly and increase intensity (this is when you take things to failure and do negatives), then take an unloading week, and repeat.

Br
    I like this idea how would u suggest increasing volume week?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

i go anywhere between 1 and 30 sets. of course i also go anywhere between 1 and 50 reps. so total sets to me doesnt mean anything without knowing the reps, intensity, frequency, and in the extreme the purpose of the exercise at the given rep/set/rest scheme.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

I like this idea how would u suggest increasing volume week?
    First and foremost is essential progressive overload (increased weight or reps every few sessions).

Increase sets by 1 on major lifts every other week. Increase sets by 1 on minor/assistance lifts every 3rd. If you start with 3 sets of squats, bench, etc. by the 5th week you will be doing 5 sets of hopefully the same number of reps with a slightly greater load than the first week.

On the sixth week, do 1-2 sets of major lifts, but incorporate failure sets and forced reps. Lower assistance work to 2 sets per exercise.

On the seventh week, unload. So do 1-3 sets with 60% of your working weight on the major lifts, and 80% of your working weight on the minor lifts.

Br
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

to many people trying to sound like kinesiology majors. ronnie coleman, lee haney, arnold, franco, dorian, they all do the same sh$t. you go in the gym, keep it short but work your a$$ off. then eat alot and rest alot. chest/tri back/bi shoulders legs
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan View Post
    to many people trying to sound like kinesiology majors. ronnie coleman, lee haney, arnold, franco, dorian, they all do the same sh$t. you go in the gym, keep it short but work your a$$ off. then eat alot and rest alot. chest/tri back/bi shoulders legs
    Ronnie coleman, arnold, franco etc. all trained for 3-6 hours a day.

I have an MS in exercise physiology, am a 1/2 semester away from a PhD in ex phys, and my dissertation research is focused on how to maximize hypertrophy.

Br
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

You can't be running ur chops like that when ur new bro. U gotta learn who is who. And red knows his stuff!
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

First and foremost is essential progressive overload (increased weight or reps every few sessions).

Increase sets by 1 on major lifts every other week. Increase sets by 1 on minor/assistance lifts every 3rd. If you start with 3 sets of squats, bench, etc. by the 5th week you will be doing 5 sets of hopefully the same number of reps with a slightly greater load than the first week.

On the sixth week, do 1-2 sets of major lifts, but incorporate failure sets and forced reps. Lower assistance work to 2 sets per exercise.

On the seventh week, unload. So do 1-3 sets with 60% of your working weight on the major lifts, and 80% of your working weight on the minor lifts.

Br
    Thanks for this ill def give it a run. I used to do something similar. I would do 4 sets on large muscles 3 on smaller. On week one start at 6 reps then increase one Rep every week. After 6 weeks go back to 6 n you should be stronger. But I always felt like I didn't gain as much strength as I should have. Prob from never deloading. Ant ways I keep u posted on how it goes..
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

You can't be running ur chops like that when ur knew bro. U gotta learn who is who. And red knows his stuff!
    I'm not above anyone....I welcome (and encourage) debate so long as its based on logic and evidence.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

( see, i called kinesiology major) From where? Im at the University of Texas and have gone through all that. but thats a lie, none of them worked out for 6 hours haha. Arnolds encylopedia was a complete lie. also they took obcenes amount of steroids. so ya if you take so much dbol that your gums bleed, your going to be able to do more. But ya thats good if you want muscle endurance, i was just speaking from pure mass. Of course though my shoulder get tired screwin in light bulbs from workn out HIT haha (not really). But im just a fan of Dorian and Mike Mentzer, they are honest and not egomaniacs like Arnold.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

(btw i am not trying to be an A$$, i like talking workout strategy and debating what is best, and new techniques, im pretty open to new workouts and trying stuff out)
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I personally stopped worrying about how many sets I do for a particular muscle group. If I'm feeling strong and really good that day and I feel like doing an extra set or 2 or if I feel like adding an exercise that day I will. I go by how my body feels and it really helped me grow
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan View Post
    ( see, i called kinesiology major) From where? Im at the University of Texas and have gone through all that. but thats a lie, none of them worked out for 6 hours haha. Arnolds encylopedia was a complete lie. also they took obcenes amount of steroids. so ya if you take so much dbol that your gums bleed, your going to be able to do more. But ya thats good if you want muscle endurance, i was just speaking from pure mass. Of course though my shoulder get tired screwin in light bulbs from workn out HIT haha (not really). But im just a fan of Dorian and Mike Mentzer, they are honest and not egomaniacs like Arnold.
    Springfield College in MA. Which UT are you at and what's your dissertation topic?

Yes, Arnold and all those guys I quoted are horrible examples as they had great genetics and used a lot aas; however, Mentzer and Yates used just as much. Comparing IFBB pro's to natural amateurs is like comparing asses to elbows.

If gaining size is the goal, then progressive overload and an increase in training load (volume) is key. I direct you to the following studies and meta-analysis via pubmed:
    19204579 (Higher volume, multiple-set programs are recommended for maximizing hypertrophy: ACSM)

Of course, there comes the need to apply this information and test what works and what doesn't. What protocols are best in which types of people, and the individual response, etc. This is where 8 years of personal training experience, 4 years of international physical performance consulting, and now coaching a collegiate bodybuilder team have allowed me to observe, record, analyze, and come up with some pretty interesting and effective techniques.

Br
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588
    I personally stopped worrying about how many sets I do for a particular muscle group. If I'm feeling strong and really good that day and I feel like doing an extra set or 2 or if I feel like adding an exercise that day I will. I go by how my body feels and it really helped me grow
    Yea that works for some n I use to train that way myself. But I have gotten better results by having everything planned out and tracked down this past year. What ever works for ya though.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more

Yea that works for some n I use to train that way myself. But I have gotten better results by having everything planned out and tracked down this past year. What ever works for ya though.
    Ofcourse bro I plan my workouts out and I have a blueprint of what I am going to do an such in advance. But if you are feeling good it really won't hurt to do extra sets or an extra exercise. If you are feeling good and strong that fay I say never hold back
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Springfield College in MA. Which UT are you at and what's your dissertation topic?

Yes, Arnold and all those guys I quoted are horrible examples as they had great genetics and used a lot aas; however, Mentzer and Yates used just as much. Comparing IFBB pro's to natural amateurs is like comparing asses to elbows.

If gaining size is the goal, then progressive overload and an increase in training load (volume) is key. I direct you to the following studies and meta-analysis via pubmed:
    19204579 (Higher volume, multiple-set programs are recommended for maximizing hypertrophy: ACSM)

Of course, there comes the need to apply this information and test what works and what doesn't. What protocols are best in which types of people, and the individual response, etc. This is where 8 years of personal training experience, 4 years of international physical performance consulting, and now coaching a collegiate bodybuilder team have allowed me to observe, record, analyze, and come up with some pretty interesting and effective techniques.

Br
    Cool man, ya you have been at this a while. I am in Austin. Hook'em. but i am not that far along im only 3rd year haha. If you have the time id like to show you my workout and have you tweak it or just let me know what you think. I am starting my first ph cycle, Hdrol. and really trying to bulk up and add a good amount of weight and strength.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

way less bro. 3 or 2 sets. failure and negatives on the last. less sets and more intensity. youtube some dorian yates and watch how he worked out, he is not a liar like Arnold
    Looked up Dorian really like the way he kinda turn the whole classic bb theory upside down. I even tried his style tonight based on his video. Did the chest n bi. I was so shocked how pumped I got just after one all out set. Not sure how effective it would be for overall growth. Seems like it taxes your nervous system more than anything else. But I def wanna try his style legitimately at some point.

Any thoughts red on the Yates theory ... one all out set..intensity over volume? as far as gains for a ecto?
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

Looked up Dorian really like the way he kinda turn the whole classic bb theory upside down. I even tried his style tonight based on his video. Did the chest n bi. I was so shocked how pumped I got just after one all out set. Not sure how effective it would be for overall growth. Seems like it taxes your nervous system more than anything else. But I def wanna try his style legitimately at some point.

Any thoughts red on the Yates theory ... one all out set..intensity over volume? as far as gains for a ecto?
    this is targeted for ecto"s man. thats what i am, this will put mass on you. an ecto can not spend hours in the gym expending calories and overtraining and expect to get mass. You hit something, bring it to failure and movie on. when you first start it youll be like "what i have alot more energy, i can do more" but youll start putting on mass faster and your strength gains will shoot up. you gotta be serious though in the gym and really push yourself, and have a good spotter that can give you those negative.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Dorian did chest and bi's but not in the same session. It's a split. Probably chest in the morning and bi's in the evening. And his theory of 1 all out set is only good if you have a training partner who is just as focused as you are.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588

Dorian did chest and bi's but not in the same session. It's a split. Probably chest in the morning and bi's in the evening. And his theory of 1 all out set is only good if you have a training partner who is just as focused as you are.
    Type in Dorian chest bi on utube. That's where I got it from..
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Type in Dorian chest bi on utube. That's where I got it from..
    I have Blood and Guts on DVD.. And his chest and bi routine issss done on the same day just not in the same session. 2 workout sessions
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I have Blood and Guts on DVD.. And his chest and bi routine issss done on the same day just not in the same session. 2 workout sessions
    lol Okaaaay, i don't really kno what ur trying to get at but here is the direct link to yates as a trainer do chest and bi..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86TYYpaMoA
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anaerobic exercise immediately after workout
    By benmuscle in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 03:03 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
  3. How many sets do you do per workout while on?
    By sundevil04 in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
  4. Eating and exercise: Time it right to maximize your workout
    By yeahright in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 11:14 PM
  5. Requesting Workout.exercise tips for my GIrlfriend...
    By JordyRoc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 04:18 AM