Rep speed study, anyone have full text?

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.2%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Rep speed study, anyone have full text?

I can only find the abstract, unfortunately I dont have subscriptions to any sports journals. I am just wondering if this study equated TUT and Intensity between the groups.

The effects of eccentric and concentric t... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

I couldnt understand all the numbers but did a search on it and basically they got 4 groups, 2 doing negatives and 2 doing positives, half doing explosive style(plyometrics) lifting and the other half seems to be regular rep speed.

I am guessing the load was <60%RM and the TUT was very different between the groups, but if it was a quality study things would of been equated and I would be very surprised at the results.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

I can get you nearly anything. Email me or PM your email and I will send it over.

Br
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

AMS did a write up on a similar study on rep speed if you are interested...

Rep Speed Matters - http://advancedmusclescience.blogspot .com/2012/02/rep-speed-matters.html
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.14%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I can get you nearly anything. Email me or PM your email and I will send it over.

Br
    thats one of the sexiest things i have read on these forums..... no homo of course. lol
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Am I reading the abstract correctly? is it saying fast eccentric resulted in higher hypertrophy? Not sure what they were referring to when they say 180 degrees though.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    Am I reading the abstract correctly? is it saying fast eccentric resulted in higher hypertrophy? Not sure what they were referring to when they say 180 degrees though.
    I haven't read it yet...but fast eccentric movements recruit the greatest degree of type IIX fibers.

For example, on the bench press, using 90-110% of 1RM, have a partner lift it off for you. Then bring the weight down as fast as possible "catching" it about 1-2" off the rest. Have your partner raise the weight and repeat 3-6 times.

Br

ps: anyone who wants the article PM me
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.14%

when you say catch it off the rest are you saying to drop 1-2" above your chest and catch it there.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%

Yes. If you want a better explanation, google search for the perfect rep. Click on the second link and follow the link in the first post. Should give you a good idea why and how. It's basically trying to produce the greatest amount of force at the point of the turn around from eccentric to concentric during a rep, which coincides with the position of the greatest stretch for the prime movers.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Yes. If you want a better explanation, google search for the perfect rep. Click on the second link and follow the link in the first post. Should give you a good idea why and how. It's basically trying to produce the greatest amount of force at the point of the turn around from eccentric to concentric during a rep, which coincides with the position of the greatest stretch for the prime movers.
    Awesome and thanks for that.
    I just wanted to make sure because I call the stops at the top the "rest" so when he said catch 1-2" off the rest I wasn't sure if it was a short quick drop that you stop
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%

I'm pretty sure it was a typo on his part, because he explained the rest correctly I believe. You're welcome, glad I could help.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%

Lol, I actually didn't understand the numbers until I read the paper. So it's just indicating degrees per second. So if something is done at 180s-1 that means they're moving at 180 degrees per second (fast); 30s-1 would be 30 degrees per second (slow). The results kind of bother me, but the explanation in the discussion is real nice so I'll buy this info. I dont know if that means that's the way to go, but I think this makes a great case for some sort of fast eccentric training (which is what powerlifters do in their training [read: not meets]). I don't really think there was a TUT comparison between the 4 training styles (fast vs slow + ecc vs concentric) design but it looks like it worked out, anyways.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Quote Originally Posted by indysoccer16 View Post
    Awesome and thanks for that.
    I just wanted to make sure because I call the stops at the top the "rest" so when he said catch 1-2" off the rest I wasn't sure if it was a short quick drop that you stop
    Yes, I meant the chest. Sorry. Our heat hasn't been working well the past few days and its affected my typing dramatically.

Br
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.48%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

Br
    First ones free lol jk
    It is not the kind of car you drive. It is whether you can flip it.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.96%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

I haven't read it yet...but fast eccentric movements recruit the greatest degree of type IIX fibers.

For example, on the bench press, using 90-110% of 1RM, have a partner lift it off for you. Then bring the weight down as fast as possible "catching" it about 1-2" off the rest. Have your partner raise the weight and repeat 3-6 times.

Br

ps: anyone who wants the article PM me
    What were the 180 and 30 degrees referring to?
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Quote Originally Posted by liljohn View Post
    What were the 180 and 30 degrees referring to?

The speed of the repetition in degrees person. So, imagine you have your arm hanging at your side. You then raise it forward until it is directly over head. That is 180 degrees. Do that in 1 second and that refers to the fast movement. Next, take 6 seconds to complete the same motion. That is the slow rep.

Now, they using that speed in specific exercises...so imagine it applied to the knee during a leg extension.

Br

Similar Forum Threads

1. Vida's text
    By Itchyban in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. Study: Smelling Food Could Speed Aging
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
  3. Full text research articles.
    By natedogg in forum General Chat