Blacking out setting up for squat (need help)

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Blacking out setting up for squat (need help)

I've experienced a very strange feeling/situation a few times already. When I set up for the squat, I like to have the bar somewhere in the vicinity of my nipples so that when I rack the weight I don't have to tiptoe or anything. So what I normally do when I set up is I place my hands where I want them on the bar, dip under while pulling (contracting the shoulder blades), and then rising up to place the bar where I want it on my traps while working on packing the upper back. The last few workouts I've done squats, at least once I've actually experienced a total black out when the bar meets my traps. It's a complete black out, as in I completely disconnect with time and years could pass and I wouldn't notice it when I come back to reality. When I "come back" I'm also really light headed and my vision seems "enhanced." Any idea what is happening?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    I've experienced a very strange feeling/situation a few times already. When I set up for the squat, I like to have the bar somewhere in the vicinity of my nipples so that when I rack the weight I don't have to tiptoe or anything. So what I normally do when I set up is I place my hands where I want them on the bar, dip under while pulling (contracting the shoulder blades), and then rising up to place the bar where I want it on my traps while working on packing the upper back. The last few workouts I've done squats, at least once I've actually experienced a total black out when the bar meets my traps. It's a complete black out, as in I completely disconnect with time and years could pass and I wouldn't notice it when I come back to reality. When I "come back" I'm also really light headed and my vision seems "enhanced." Any idea what is happening?
    I'm no doctor but Ik towards the center of your neck you have a spot if you hit it you have a good chance of passing out. However the 'enhanced' vision may be from your body tensing up super tight and releasing allowing blood flow to circulate better through your eyes? Lol just my two cents. Good luck bro!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Sounds like some sort of ischemia at the brain. Same thing when you stand up quicly and your vessels do not constrict fast enough and you get light headed (or pass out if you have a vasovagal syndrome).

Br
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

If it continues, alternatives could be Front Squats or single leg squats (rear leg elevated is my preference) loaded with DBs. Not much help with your diagnosis but I certainly wouldn't want to continue squatting with what you described but I also wouldn't want to give up the benefits of squatting. Best of luck, regardless.
  5. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

It happens to me too sometimes, but for me it's normal
    I've had that for years, I feel it coming now, I learned,
    I stand still (bb on the traps) and wait it to go away before doing the first rep
    At least for me I think it's a combo of fasted training/blood pressure/low blood sugar levels
    like I said, I'm used. Same when I do deadlift or when overloading some back exercise
    like t-bar BB rows or one arm DB rows
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Does it still happen when u use the pad ?
  7. Registered User

I have experienced that enhanced vision, its derealization from anxiety for me but I havent had blackouts, I get lightheaded sometimes and I think its cause I dont have enough sodium in my diet for the amount of water I drink, I have recently increased my sodium intake and gonna see how it goes, we need sodium to regulate blood pressure.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Woah, thanks a lot for the responses, guys. I didn't get any notifications that people had posted here until today.

I think you all are on to something regarding blood pressure. I know my resting bp is very stable going towards low (110/50 [or was it 55?]), and while I don't train fasted per se I usually don't eat 4 hours preWO, and I graze so that means I am headed towards empty. Also, the squat is the very last movement in my routine. So these are all things that may be doing something. But it's odd to me because it's only the squat. Also, when it comes, I obviously don't unrack the bar and wait it out, then I unrack and do the set.

Lastly, I haven't tried using a pad since I have pretty thick traps.
  9. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47
    It happens to me too sometimes, but for me it's normal
    I've had that for years, I feel it coming now, I learned,
    I stand still (bb on the traps) and wait it to go away before doing the first rep
    At least for me I think it's a combo of fasted training/blood pressure/low blood sugar levels
    like I said, I'm used. Same when I do deadlift or when overloading some back exercise
    like t-bar BB rows or one arm DB rows
    Quit trying be so lean and eat up them carbs haha
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  10. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Quit trying be so lean and eat up them carbs haha
    I'll stick to passing out i think lol
    actually it happened to me today on my heaviest set of
    BD flys, the crazy part is now that I'm so used to it I don't
    freak out anymore but the fear of dropping the weights on
    your own face actually gives you a nice kick of adrenaline
    to smash your last set

lol if it wasn't slightly life threatening
    I could turn this into a protocol..
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Split Squat and Single Leg Squat
    By athletor in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
  2. Setting up PCT
    By Vallos in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
  3. Free Squat Vs Smith Squat
    By goleafsgo1216 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
  4. how much less will a front squat be than a back squat be on average?
    By underdog13 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
  5. Setting up a PO Box
    By ALJD0812 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM