Parallel Bar Dips Grip Width CHEST

1. Registered User
    Answers

Parallel Bar Dips Grip Width CHEST

i have adjustable parallel bars so I wonder how wide should I set them for best chest stimulation? I heard 30 inches is good.

im only 5 7 btw

i take a grip sth like 3-4 inches wider each side of shoulder width and flare elbows to the sides and push with a chest, squeeze hard . correct?

and second question - dips are my first chest exercise. so i wonder if say 10 pushups and few bodyweight dips (5-6) are a good start before main weighted sets? jsut to feel the movement. then add 80lbs and do worksets

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by luka5
    i have adjustable parallel bars so I wonder how wide should I set them for best chest stimulation? I heard 30 inches is good.

im only 5 7 btw

i take a grip sth like 3-4 inches wider each side of shoulder width and flare elbows to the sides and push with a chest, squeeze hard . correct?

and second question - dips are my first chest exercise. so i wonder if say 10 pushups and few bodyweight dips (5-6) are a good start before main weighted sets? jsut to feel the movement. then add 80lbs and do worksets
    I read somewhere 33 inches.. Does 3 inches make a difference?? I do not know

As for question two. I do chest dips usually as my second to last exercise (right before cable crossovers Which helps peak the pump fromthe dips ... I would personally use bodyweight dips then move to weighted but only with 45 lbs max lol
    Bear in mind I'm already very warned up since it's my 4th exercises for chest.. (u could also pyramid up to working weight rather than wasting energy n time on body weight sets, since you use 80s I doubt it would even help .. Guys who bench 315 don warm up with just the bar... )
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

it should measure the same as the length from your elbow to the tip of your hand.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Whatever width is comfortable will be fine. How much you use your chest will be decided more by the angle you lean than a few inches one way or the other in width. That said, once you start adding weight, leaning forward becomes increasingly difficult, so my personal approach is just to not over think the little stuff and focus on getting the right range of motion. For a warm-up, do whatever feels right for you. A few push-ups and dips should be fine. Just really exaggerate the depth to get as comfortable as possible with the movement before you start adding serious weight.
    Get strawng!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, whatever width allows you to feel it "best." You want to feel your chest stretch and then squeeze at the top. It should feel natural. You don't want it too wide or you'll stress your shoulder joints. Too narrow defeats the purpose too.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. military press, row, bench grip width relation
    By luka5 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM
  2. dips width issue
    By asianbabe in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM
  3. lookin for some chest width... i hear flies are great
    By sreed11 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 01:51 PM
  4. Chest width
    By metroba in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 12:06 AM
  5. Back width, wider grip or weight vest.
    By Pumpitup in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM