Pullovers affecting ab recovery?

1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.6%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Pullovers affecting ab recovery?

I know pullovers are for back/ribcage/lower chest area... I also really feel them in my abs too! ..that extending backward motion stretches them out hard! I'm a little worried I'm taking away from my actual ab training by doing pullovers and abs on the same day or doing pullovers the day after Ab work is done..if I'm trying to build the abs up so they "pop", then wouldn't elongating them with pullovers be counter productive?
    Comments/thoughts/advice?
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.6%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Bump
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.56%

Your abs are not going to elongate from pullovers. In my opinion, you may be over-emphasizing your ab workouts. At the very least, always save them until the end of your session (after pullovers). In addition to your lower chest, pullovers are one of the few exercises that will really work your serratus muscles (the muscles on the side of your ribcage), which is what you may be feeling. Pullovers are actually one of my favorite exercises, so I would keep doing them if I were. I would consider, however, dropping your ab workouts to one or two days per week at most. Your abs should get plenty of work working as stabilizers for other exercises like heavy squats. So long as you are doing those and are carefully tracking your diet and macronutrients, your abs will most certainly "pop" soon enough.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.6%

Quote Originally Posted by owlicks
    Your abs are not going to elongate from pullovers. In my opinion, you may be over-emphasizing your ab workouts. At the very least, always save them until the end of your session (after pullovers). In addition to your lower chest, pullovers are one of the few exercises that will really work your serratus muscles (the muscles on the side of your ribcage), which is what you may be feeling. Pullovers are actually one of my favorite exercises, so I would keep doing them if I were. I would consider, however, dropping your ab workouts to one or two days per week at most. Your abs should get plenty of work working as stabilizers for other exercises like heavy squats. So long as you are doing those and are carefully tracking your diet and macronutrients, your abs will most certainly "pop" soon enough.
    Cool
    Thanks.. I love pullovers too and I love seeing my serratus as well lol. I do abs Monday wed Thursday and sAt..

Mon and wed are weighted ab work
    Thursday is weighted obliques only (hyper extension bench side bends) cable twists, stick twists bent over
    Sat I don't train I just do a 5-7 min Ab circuit whenever I wake up to "cut up" from
    The weighted work during the week. A total of 15 weighted sets during the week and 300-400 reps of various exercise on sTurday with no rest..

I do the pullovers on wed near the beginning of my workout and Always do
    Abs last. The results I'm getting are desirable, but have plateaued .. Was just wondering if I should change anything to maximize results.. Diet and cardio is in check.. Genetics a huge factor might I add here as well..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dumbell Pullovers
    By Santee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 11:38 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM
  3. Pullovers for chest
    By Condition1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
  4. R-ALA Affecting Appetite?