Why are fat people (fat, not bulking) people strong?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.52%

Why are fat people (fat, not bulking) people strong?

I saw this obese gentleman the other day benching 245 for reps. I know the difference between big and fat, and this is straight fat. How does he do it?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.59%

I think it depends on your definition of "fat". I think a lot of people unfamiliar with powerlifters would say that a lot of powerlifters are fat because they care less about BF% than the average bodybuilder. A lot of very competitive powerlifters carry around a large belly...

That said, you probably can tell the difference. Common sense would make me say that since he's got more weight to carry around, his base musculature has to be stronger. But there are some obese people with crazy 'fat-man' strength. There's this guy that used to come to my gym in the states and shoulder press insane weight, I'm talking like 235 for 3 sets of 12, but he was crazy overweight. It happens.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

diet dictates physique, training dictates strength. Usually anyway.

Look at the power lifters.... Most eat whatever they want to get enough energy to lift. Bodybuilders eat less than they need so they can strip off fat.
    RecoverBro ELITE
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.57%

when someone is obese they have to carry extra weight around. Imagine carrying an extra 75 lbs on your body in a form of a vest. your back, legs, and body have no choice but to adapt in order to carry a heavy load. This naturally makes these people stronger (in the aspect of carrying their own body weight) often when a very obese person looses 100 lbs for example they will still maintain a ton of strength.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I think people here are also missing something subtle: leverage. The more mass you have on your frame, the more there is to leverage weight against. Pushing weight involves a few things: nerves firing to signal muscle cells to contract, muscle fibers generating forces through various mechanisms, and the resultant forces either pulling/pushing the weight forward, or pushing against your body and causing an opposing force in the opposite direction. While having "useless mass" wont play as much of a role for upper body pulling motions, for any pressing movements it's going to provide a huge advantage.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Repping 245lbs isn't strong by any means, especially if he weighs 300lbs?! I'm 200lbs and I bang up 225 x21 reps. So in terms of body weight to strength ratio, this "fat" guy isn't strong. Well, I guess it's all relative.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

extra glycogen and nutrients
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

because to get to that size, they had to eat an excess of calories for long period of time. This is anabolic, regardless of whether or not they're weight training. Take sumo wrestlers for example, they carry around more muscle than ifbb pro-bodybuilders and they dont take steroids, let alone train with weights(not seriously anyways)
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I think people here are also missing something subtle: leverage. The more mass you have on your frame, the more there is to leverage weight against. Pushing weight involves a few things: nerves firing to signal muscle cells to contract, muscle fibers generating forces through various mechanisms, and the resultant forces either pulling/pushing the weight forward, or pushing against your body and causing an opposing force in the opposite direction. While having "useless mass" wont play as much of a role for upper body pulling motions, for any pressing movements it's going to provide a huge advantage.
    This. It's all about leverage when it comes to strength.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%

also they have less ROM to lower the bar to their chest. j/k but some what true. Though what everyone said about is going to be the core of it.

Then go you the "farmer" guys who never lifted in a gym but can swing around truck axles like we would move a barbell, just from the strength needed / obtained from their daily jobs.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74%

I think dalexanders right. Most people don't have to carry around 75 lbs on their frame all day long. And comparing the weight that an obese guy is repping to the weights that you are can't really be justified because of the size difference.
    "There is only one way to become champion; never f***ing lose."
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I can't comment directly to obese people who are strong other then what everyone else has chimmed in that they carry more weight around daily so even if there not working out there stronger then say a kid thats 115 pounds.

One things i've found is that i used to weight 217 pounds so i carryed a bit more weight then i do now at about 195 and even though i've gotten in better shape and stronger the weights felt easier when i weighed more. To be honest i don't know how to describe it but even though im in better shape and have more muscle weights seemed easier at a heavier weight.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  214 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.3%

Quote Originally Posted by crackerdoctor View Post
    I saw this obese gentleman the other day benching 245 for reps. I know the difference between big and fat, and this is straight fat. How does he do it?
    245 ain't that much, but i do know what you mean. i think it's because their muscles aren't depleted. when you lean up, and are low in body fat, if your diet isn't right then your muscles will lack nutrition (strength).
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.37%

Imagine how strong you would be if evey time you stood up from a chair itd be a squat ...everytime you got outta bed itd be a press or everytime... you went to tie your shows you were deadlifting 300lbs. Id be strong like bull too
    In this economy... Your two cents aint worth ****!
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet7 View Post
    Imagine everytime you got outta bed itd be a press
    ROFL
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

also there are different types of fat, ive noticed ive seen guys who are sturdy fat and guys who looks soft as marshmallows fat, maybe it has to do with body frame.
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bulking for Idiots and Lazy People: Part 1 (Diet)
    By The Neck in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 12:26 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
  4. why do people take ATD?
    By nattydisaster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM
  5. can u people help?