Dumbell Pullovers

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.1%

Are they more of a chest exercise or a lat exercise? And is it a bad idea if instead of one dumbbell, I use 2 using a neutral grip? Or should I use pronated or underhand grip? I wanna use 2 dumbbells for the purpose of muscle imbalances.. Or should I stick with the traditional dumbbell pullover?
    My Workout Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/186785-watch-me-grow.html

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Do dips and pull ups.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%

The pullover will work both back and chest while also using the triceps as a stabilizer.

The key to getting the most out of your pullovers is to pre-exhaust the target muscle, in my opinion.

I feel the Dumbbell Pullover more for chest, while I use cable pullovers for my lats. Doing pullovers for back at the end of your routine in the style of FST-7 (AFTER your back workout you perform 7 total sets starting with a weight you can handle for 15 reps, only take 30-45 seconds rest in between) really works well for size and width in the lats.

When I do my cable pullovers I will start bent over at the hips with my arms completely outstreched holding a rope together, as you pullover the rope stand more upright and squeeze the lats hard, then lean back down and stretch the arms back out.

Doing 2-arms works great in theory, but in my opinion the risk of injuring the shoulder joint outweights any possible benefit. The shoulder is not a ball/socket joint and it is very easy to tear a labrum or do other types of damage.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx
    The pullover will work both back and chest while also using the triceps as a stabilizer.

The key to getting the most out of your pullovers is to pre-exhaust the target muscle, in my opinion.

I feel the Dumbbell Pullover more for chest, while I use cable pullovers for my lats. Doing pullovers for back at the end of your routine in the style of FST-7 (AFTER your back workout you perform 7 total sets starting with a weight you can handle for 15 reps, only take 30-45 seconds rest in between) really works well for size and width in the lats.

When I do my cable pullovers I will start bent over at the hips with my arms completely outstreched holding a rope together, as you pullover the rope stand more upright and squeeze the lats hard, then lean back down and stretch the arms back out.

Doing 2-arms works great in theory, but in my opinion the risk of injuring the shoulder joint outweights any possible benefit. The shoulder is not a ball/socket joint and it is very easy to tear a labrum or do other types of damage.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.
    My Workout Log
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.1%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Do dips and pull ups.
    Hehe I do those already, they help alot but i think I'm gonna need to purchase a bellt where I can add on plates, because I can get over the 15+ rep range on them
    My Workout Log
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.23%

I do pullovers. But I always have to do them traditional or else it hurts my shoulders.
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%

Quote Originally Posted by Santee View Post
    Hehe I do those already, they help alot but i think I'm gonna need to purchase a bellt where I can add on plates, because I can get over the 15+ rep range on them
    I'd save some money on a weight belt and just do them last in your regimen. By doing them later, you're also hitting fatigued muscles which ensures you're getting the area you're hoping for. Doing dips first will result in using a lot of shoulders/triceps in addition to the pecs which are your target. Do them after your major presses and even after your flies, having a pumped/tired chest will make you feel it much more.

To really get the chest working, try "Gironda Dips". If you have any issues with your wrists or shoulders, be careful as this puts a little more pressure on them. I can rep out 25+ dips with ease, I can only get a max of 8 Gironda dips though. Gironda Dips: The Correct Technique - YouTube
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.77%

any of you guys do the pullovers with an e-z curl bar, with a close grip?
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%

Quote Originally Posted by r6lift View Post
    any of you guys do the pullovers with an e-z curl bar, with a close grip?
    If I had a spotter I definitely would give them a go, but I workout solo.

When doing pullovers an important part is to allow your butt to sink as low as you can while stretching the weight overhead, as you bring the weight above your chest push the hips back up so your body is flat from knees to shoulders.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.77%

I also workout solo and currently doing this exercise. works my lats pretty good and gets the upper part of it pretty sore the next day along with my triceps. would there be a difference doing it on a flat bench compared to a decline?
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%

Quote Originally Posted by r6lift View Post
    I also workout solo and currently doing this exercise. works my lats pretty good and gets the upper part of it pretty sore the next day along with my triceps. would there be a difference doing it on a flat bench compared to a decline?
    I'll do some this week and try it out, thanks.

I do them always perpendicular to the bench (just my shoulders/head resting on the bench, my legs planted on the floor) because if you lay with your butt on a bench, you can't do that hip motion i had mentioned before. The hip motion helps to stretch the lats out more
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.77%

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    I'll do some this week and try it out, thanks.

I do them always perpendicular to the bench (just my shoulders/head resting on the bench, my legs planted on the floor) because if you lay with your butt on a bench, you can't do that hip motion i had mentioned before. The hip motion helps to stretch the lats out more
    alright man, that'll be great. thanks. let me know how it goes and if there's any difference between the two.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You can combine pullovers with lat pulldowns for a good lat workout. I did it in this fashion last night and it hurt like hell.
    Lat pulldowns 2 sets x10-(heavy as you can) minimal rest between these two sets.
    no rest
    Cable pullovers/straight armed pulldowns (from standing postion)1 set x20
    No break
    Lat pulldowns 1 set x8-10 with partial reps around the midpoint of the lift at the end
    Minimal rest
    Then go do a dropset in traditional pullovers. Your lats will be screaming.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dumbell Shoulder Press?
    By alih92 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
  2. Dumbell>Barbell
    By SilverBullet7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 11:33 PM
  3. Need Dumbell set...
    By BigMfer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2