Why doesn't anybody know how to spot??

  1. mc1
    mc1 is offline
    Registered User
    mc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0

    Angry Why doesn't anybody know how to spot??


    I work out without a partner and so I end up sometimes having to ask for a spot from random people in the gym. I also keep a careful log of my lifts, both weights and rest intervals. Why is it so hard to find someone to spot you without touching the ****ing bar!!? I even tell them, "don't give me any help unless I am completely stuck", and they still grab the damn bar at the first sign of me struggling a bit, slowing reps, etc. It pisses me off because I feel like my whole set is wasted, I have no idea if I made progress that week. Anybody else have this problem? Do any of you have something better to say to make these people understand that I don't want them to touch the damn bar?

  2. Registered User
    Draven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    36
    Posts
    418
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by mc1
    Do any of you have something better to say to make these people understand that I don't want them to touch the damn bar?
    Unless it's crushing my skull don't touch the F*CKING bar please.
  3. Registered User
    Biggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,292
    Answers
    0


    "If you touch the bar before I say OK, I'll break my foot off in your *******. Now spot me, and do it right ya ****in whore-bitch."
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    pogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    428
    Answers
    0


    Some people are stupid and want you to help you do reps, like that actually does anything.
  5. Registered User
    scotty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,140
    Answers
    0


    I have a partner. I like when he grabs the bar and doesn't help, or has his hands near it. I end up doing more weight.
  6. mc1
    mc1 is offline
    Registered User
    mc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by scotty2
    I have a partner. I like when he grabs the bar and doesn't help, or has his hands near it. I end up doing more weight.
    huh? grabs the bar and doesn't help?
  7. Registered User
    jweave23's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,628
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by mc1


    huh? grabs the bar and doesn't help?
    Yeah man, what I used to do for my brother was put two fingers under the bar so he knew I wasn't helping, but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. 
  8. mc1
    mc1 is offline
    Registered User
    mc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by jweave23


    Yeah man, what I used to do for my brother was put two fingers under the bar so he knew I wasn't helping, but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. 
    to me this sounds like a light spot, i often spot with just 2 fingers. you shouldn't need more than that.
  9. Registered User
    sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,617
    Answers
    0


    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jweave23


    but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. 
    [/QUOTE

    thats exactly it. when you know you have someone there for support, the mentality you have going into a set is that much stronger. no doubt. I work and train at nyu's gym and i have several dudes who stiff-arm other co-workers approaching them to spot them to ask me for a spot (to hype myself up here...ha). A good spotter cant be overlooked. Sage
  10. Registered User
    wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    640
    Answers
    0


    Two finger spots are exactly all you should do. Thats all I ever do, and all I ever want..jackasses doing upright rows while I am benching need to eat a damn plate..pisses me off
  11. Registered User
    msclbldrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    347
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by wardog
    Two finger spots are exactly all you should do. Thats all I ever do, and all I ever want..jackasses doing upright rows while I am benching need to eat a damn plate..pisses me off
    ya...its all you need...it doesnt help if you have the bar yanked out of your hands. its not just barbell bench presses either...i was doin flatbench db presses with no spotter...didnt want or need one...and on my first set this guy decided i needed a spotter and came and pushed up from my elbows. for a sec there it threw off my whole rythm for that set. when i got up i told him i'd ask if i needed or wanted a spot. idiot.
  12. E-BOLLER
    Board Sponsor
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by msclbldrguy


    ya...its all you need...it doesnt help if you have the bar yanked out of your hands. its not just barbell bench presses either...i was doin flatbench db presses with no spotter...didnt want or need one...and on my first set this guy decided i needed a spotter and came and pushed up from my elbows. for a sec there it threw off my whole rythm for that set. when i got up i told him i'd ask if i needed or wanted a spot. idiot.
    I had one guy do that to me and I decided to make it seem like I was going to drop it on him. I wish I could've seen the look on his face.
  13. Banned
    John Benz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    524
    Answers
    0


    Seldom use a spotter for all those reasons. Only on benches when I go up in weight. And like WD and Jweave, I only want a 2 finger spot.
  14. Registered User
    msclbldrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    347
    Answers
    0


    Originally posted by Supa Freek 420


    I had one guy do that to me and I decided to make it seem like I was going to drop it on him. I wish I could've seen the look on his face.
    I'm just ashamed I didnt think of this myself..but after I got thru with him I dont think he's gonna spot me anymore.
  15. Registered User
    msclbldrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    347
    Answers
    0

    Wink Best Method for Spotting


    Actually the best method for spotting is Arnolds (I think he said it in Pumping Iron)...when your w/o partner starts his lift, just tell him to call you when he's finished, you'll be up front..heh
  16. Registered User
    JohnGafnea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    87
    Answers
    0


    Beggars canít be choosers.
  17. Registered User
    baham99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    145
    Answers
    0


    hey, how 'bout doin the negative spot from YJ's article on a random guy next time. *That'll* suprise somebody.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anybody know how to beat a poloygraph test?
    By witt51 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM
  2. need help ? dont know how to ask.
    By triplez in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
  3. How to spot a "Juicer" hahah
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 11:42 AM
  5. Don't know how to title this ?
    By FullyBuilt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in